I LOVE THE EDGE SMOOTHING/AA

I don't care what peoples views are, I personally think it looks amazing.

In the distance it kinda blurs some in how it smooths edges, but sheesh it makes a HUGE difference with no performance hit for me.

I consider this to be an astonishing achievement by the guys at GRiN, it's not what I call "True" AA , it's something else but damn does it look good.

Having it turned on really does show how fugly the jaggies were beforehand.

It reminds me alot of the earlier Quincux modes.

There was one particular part where a bad guy in the distance was running behind a burnt out smoking car with the sun beaming down and it looked phenomenal.

GRiN, you have seriously won me over with this one.

GREAT WORK! and thanks again.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will admit it does kill "the crawling" but Im a little dissapointed they would even call it Anti Aliasing its a bit misleading, I mean call it Edge Smoothing fine. Now I just put together the rig in my Sig and Im now able to run High Textures and the "Anti-Aliasing" blurs the textures that look so good now.

Im a little torn between the buildings not crawling and the nice textures that have lost their crispness.

Definately NOT what I was expecting.

Its hardly smooth edges - more like the 'blur' filter in photoshop. Makes the game look like your running around with concussion/blurred vision.

I think I'll leave it turned off.

But thanks for trying GRIN. (Maybe you'll tweak it in future patches and allow levels?)

Definately NOT what I was expecting.

Its hardly smooth edges - more like the 'blur' filter in photoshop. Makes the game look like your running around with concussion/blurred vision.

I think I'll leave it turned off.

But thanks for trying GRIN. (Maybe you'll tweak it in future patches and allow levels?)

I agree, its just a blur is all.

AA without HDR or HDR without AA is possible. Take Oblivion for example. In Oblivion you can either use AA without HDR or HDR without AA. So it is possible. I believe they just wanted everyone to maintain the HDR, which is the only great graphical feature GRAW has.

Edited by sx_amazing

AA without HDR or HDR without AA is possible. Take Oblivion for example. In Oblivion you can either use AA without HDR or HDR without AA. So it is possible.

Oblivion is not real HDR. HDR is what HL2 does. Oblivion just turns up the bloom meter by 500%.

AA without HDR or HDR without AA is possible. Take Oblivion for example. In Oblivion you can either use AA without HDR or HDR without AA. So it is possible. I believe they just wanted everyone to maintain the HDR, which is the only great graphical feature GRAW has.

Holy crap... How many times does this have to be said? IT'S NOT ABOUT HDR! It's about deferred lighting. They are two entirely different things. Oblivion DID NOT USE deferred lighting, that's why they have the option.

Oblivion is not real HDR. HDR is what HL2 does. Oblivion just turns up the bloom meter by 500%.

Sorry Smith Oblivion IS using real SM3.0 MTR FP16 HDR, HL2 is using SM2.0 HDR its the simple one not Oblivion.(tho I think it is actually better executed than GRAW's)

But Ted is right this has NOTHING to with HDR I would dig up my huge research piece on it but Im too lazy to explain it all again.....

Sorry Smith Oblivion IS using real SM3.0 MTR FP16 HDR, HL2 is using SM2.0 HDR its the simple one not Oblivion.(tho I think it is actually better executed than GRAW's)

But Ted is right this has NOTHING to with HDR I would dig up my huge research piece on it but Im too lazy to explain it all again.....

I could care less about the technical bull**** if the lightning system isn't what it's suppose to be,

DYNAMIC RANGE.

Compare.

I have not liked the system of AA. Blur kills the definition/sharpen , the brightness and effects of many textures. And it does not make good AA. I almost prefer not to use it sincerely.

Edited by jonelo

I could care less about the technical bull**** if the lightning system isn't what it's suppose to be,

DYNAMIC RANGE.

Then dont talk about things you dont have a clue about, ATI X1000 series CAN do AA and HDR but again it has NOTHING to do with GRAW. Your not showing me anything I dont already know....

GRIN has just added Blur it is by no means ANY form of Anti-Aliasing

The solution is supersampling , bad performance but true AA

http://download.nvidia.com/developer/prese...red_Shading.pdf

Anti-Aliasing with Deferred Shading

*Deferred shading is incompatible with MSAA

*API doesn’t allow antialiased MRTs

But this is a small problem…

*AA resolve has to happen after accumulation!

Resolve = process of combining multiple samples

*G-Buffer cannot be resolved

What happens to an FP16 position when resolved?

Other AA options?

*Supersampling lighting is a costly option

Lighting is typically the bottleneck, pixel shader bound

4x supersampled lighting would be a big perf.

*“Intelligent Blur†: Only filter object edges

Based on depths and normals of neighboring pixels

Set “barrier†high, to avoid interior blurring

Full-screen shader, but cheaper than SSAA

SSAA+HDR FP16- not is deferred rendering- in Nvidia videocards - , with supersampling, to see the fall of perfomance with SSAA.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...;p=388539&#

Edited by jonelo