Ghost Recon 4

For those who think that it is RSE who has dropped the ball, you are wrong, it is Ubi that is calling the shots. Ubi has turned a once great PC dev company into a now great console (more specifically XBox) game developer.

Yes, I have questioned some of RSE's decisions, but ultimately, it is Ubi's decisions that have made the games (including GRAW) the mess they are. I noticed the direction of RSE franchises were taking once Ubi had Ubi Montreal develop RvS for the PC and used a non-RSE engine for it. Was that good or bad? That debate can be had over at Aggression. Still, Ubi pulled the plug on GR2 and that is the fact. Would it have been a good successor to GR? Hard to say. I never saw it and the only person who has is under NDA and hasn't visited here in a while.

Ubi also placed constraints on GRIN for GRAW. While I specifically told Bo that we want more than 4 team members, it was Ubi that ultimately told GRIN that they had to have a hero character (much like how LD is also as Vegas will be too) with fewer teammates.

While I would love to see RSE get to do a PC game from the ground up again, I do not see it. If you look at the recent releases, all of their games are console games and the last PC centric game released by RSE is GR, not LD which was ported to the PC from the PS2 version. It does not appear that RSE will ever get a chance to develop another PC game again.

There are a few devs from RSE that have left that were on the award winning teams for R6 and GR, the most noticable one can be found perusing the forums here. The rest are still there that I know of, maybe Serellan can fill in the proper number if he sees this thread.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I like both Grin and RSE, both have talent and are dedicated to their fanbase.

- I think we will get GR4 on the pc. In the worst case we will get a slightly modified Graw and in the best case we will get a significant gameplay enhancement. It will depend on the time and budget allocated for GR4.

- A new fanbase has been created by Graw. Among the old fanbase some just love Graw and some don't. But the (new fanbase + part of the old fanbase ) will most probably ensure that GR4 will come out. Also, after TDM, dedicated server files, [GR] co-op etc. are released, with a more complete editor, a lot of the dissatified players will perhaps like or even love Graw.

- I would like Grin to make GR4. The reason behind this is --- Grin has invested a lot of time trying to understand the mentality of the pc fanbase and the base work for an awesome tactical shooter has already been done. The future releases will surely be more complete and please many more people. A new dev team for future GR pc titles will again have to invest a lot of time before they get full grip of the fan requirements. Let us not forget that the original team who made GR1, and knows the pc market, won't be working on GR4 pc even if RSE were to make it.

- If RSE were to make GR4 pc then either we will have a second team making the pc version ( as the first team will surely be making the x360 version ) OR we will get a x360 port. In either case, I don't think the pc fans will be as happy as they would have been if the RSE first team were to make GR4 for pc.

Edited by buddhiraja73