WEAPON GAP, GRIN PLEASE DELIVER

Frankly, I'd be happier if there were only a few more options in terms of weapons/mods, and if the existing weapons were instead re-tooled to provide a bit more variety.

Right now, I feel like we've got a sniper rifle, an LMG, (3) identical assault rifles and (1) really weak but stable rifle. Sure, the SCAR-H is a tiny bit more powerful, and a tiny bit less stable . . . make it kick like a mule, drop people in 1 shot, and give it an option for a fixed zoom scope, so it can be the semi-auto sniper/designated marksman rifle. Make the fictional rifle worthwhile . . . somehow.

All I see on servers are SCAR-Ls, M8s, one guy with a sniper rifle, and occasionally an Mk48, when somebody's rich and has a phobia of reloading. Rather than 20 assault rifles to choose from, I'd rather have 5 that everyone can find a use for.

im with him, function over fashion! :grin3:

makes sense. i agree. personally i would rather see the hk 416 than the m4 or m16....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the possibilities for the old GR1 weapons? seeing Ubi have announced that the game modes are to be brought in from GR1.

Well, aslong as they were remodeled and textured from scratch anything that was in [GR] could be put into GR:AW.

And as a modeler and [GR] modder I have to say to the public to not hold your breath about all to many mod based weapons being brought in even if we get full mod support. GR:AW weapons are a whole different ballgame compared to [GR] and asfar as I can see there are only a handful of modders on this forum that have the talent and knowhow to pull a model off for GR:AW today. So even if this june patch gives us a full SDK it will most likely be months untill we see something of GRIN's quality ingame.

What are the possibilities for the old GR1 weapons? seeing Ubi have announced that the game modes are to be brought in from GR1.

Well, aslong as they were remodeled and textured from scratch anything that was in [GR] could be put into GR:AW.

And as a modeler and [GR] modder I have to say to the public to not hold your breath about all to many mod based weapons being brought in even if we get full mod support. GR:AW weapons are a whole different ballgame compared to [GR] and asfar as I can see there are only a handful of modders on this forum that have the talent and knowhow to pull a model off for GR:AW today. So even if this june patch gives us a full SDK it will most likely be months untill we see something of GRIN's quality ingame.

It is a whole diffrent ball game.

Frankly, I'd be happier if there were only a few more options in terms of weapons/mods, and if the existing weapons were instead re-tooled to provide a bit more variety.

Right now, I feel like we've got a sniper rifle, an LMG, (3) identical assault rifles and (1) really weak but stable rifle. Sure, the SCAR-H is a tiny bit more powerful, and a tiny bit less stable . . . make it kick like a mule, drop people in 1 shot, and give it an option for a fixed zoom scope, so it can be the semi-auto sniper/designated marksman rifle. Make the fictional rifle worthwhile . . . somehow.

All I see on servers are SCAR-Ls, M8s, one guy with a sniper rifle, and occasionally an Mk48, when somebody's rich and has a phobia of reloading. Rather than 20 assault rifles to choose from, I'd rather have 5 that everyone can find a use for.

Well said. From the weapons list I think an M468 and a 7mm STW would be enough.

I'll be seriously ###### off if they add the M16 or M4 to this game. I will be even more ###### off if we are still using those rifles in 7 years.

Why? They work. They do their job. The M16 family is simply one of the best weapons designs because of its flexability, accuracy, and innovation. Most, if not all, 5.56mm weapons are derived from it. It's also the first weapons system. They recently did a thorough examination of effectiveness and all troops who saw combat said their M16s performed well in about every way. Same goes for 9mm Beretta, but it had reliability problems from cheap magazines that aren't made by Beretta.

Remember what they replaced the 45 with.

Beretta fits the general issue sidearm role better than the 45, although 45 is better for special operations as seen by the resurgence of its use. A .45 does have a place in the game, I agree.

M82A1, SVD Dragunov, OICW, M60 7.62x51mm, but it will never happen. :(

M60=why

OICW=why

Edited by Lipoff

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...think ma deuce.

Remember what they replaced the 45 with.

That is true, they need to bring back the standard-issue .45... but the M16 family doesn't have the best track record, if you know what I mean.

makes sense. i agree. personally i would rather see the hk 416 than the m4 or m16....

Agreed, that weapon looks pretty promising.

Lipoff: The US Military has been looking for a replacement for the M16 for years. The 5.56mm rounds aren't powerful enough, and the green-tipped rounds are a joke.

I'd like the M60 or the M240, a 7.62mm light machine gun would be nice.

M240 I agree with. M60 I don't, because it is crap and was scrapped for the M240 for a reason.

You're right, they have been looking for a replacement. However there haven't been any found to justifiably warrant the total replacement of them in the field (mucho bucks).

Ten years ago they tried to get a replacement and none of them could perform well enough to replace it. Just now the XM8 comes out and it cannot do anything the M16 weapons cannot do and the only true improvement was it is a kilo lighter (although this is nice). Although lighter, it is a bulkier weapon and the magazines would require entire replacement of vests for carrying them. It also does nothing to improve the deadliness, as you pointed out. Not worth the money for total replacement and it was scrapped. M16 is imperfect, yes, but if the competition can bring something forth that can blow it out of the water then fine, I hope they do it.

As far as 5.56mm goes, if they can get a better round then fine rechamber M16 weapons (AR15 system allows for basically all calibers with part replacement). If they can get a superior weapon that can shoot the better bullet then I am all for it. However, there would be huge issues there too like buying everyone new vests for new magazines, switching to mass production of different ammo, and distribution.

Regardless, in the study I mentioned (looking/googling for it desperately, havent found it in months) showed that 5.56mm has shown to be powerful enough in the M16A2s and M16A4s (not so much in M4A1s) by the statements of soldiers who were in combat.

Edited by Lipoff

M60=why

OICW=why

Ok I'll try to do a good explanation of why I would like them.

M60:- [8-10kg 17-22lb]

Is a general purpose machine gun about as old as the AK-47 it's updated version is the M60-E3. Both are 7.6mm cal and cause alot of damage. Originally ghost recon [1] had players fall into categories, Rifleman, Sniper, Demo & support. With the M60 back in town

the support element would be strengthened. locating this gun at a key choke point would close that point off, unless you were on a suicide mission or you had a good sniper to take it out. It is a general spray gun and compliments riflemen in holding key locations.

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg12-e.htm

http://www.navyseals.com/community/navyseals/weapons_m60.cfm

HK-OICW:-Objective Individual Combat Weapon [9kg 19lb]

Again a heavy weapon, with 5.56mm rounds, but this time more mobile with it's GL it is a awesome piece of kit, in the real world it's a washout, but in GR1 it preformed. Everyone normally asks for lightweight rifles, I have a special spot for these two, like a mobile squad in a gun, plus it's suppose to be a gun for the future.

http://www.hkpro.com/oicw.htm

http://www.secretweapon.com/

There needs to be a good mix of weapons in a game inc. support weapons

viii

Although it will never be in this game, the AK-47 is coming to 60 years old and it's one of the most popular automatic in the world in 2006. It would be good to have a few extra weapons, some of the latest and a couple of the classics, my personal adds are:

no offense, but the oicw is dead, same as the g11, so why implement it ingame. they should've kept the m8 out, too, because the american forces seem to stick with the scar......

Regardless, in the study I mentioned (looking/googling for it desperately, havent found it in months) showed that 5.56mm has shown to be powerful enough in the M16A2s and M16A4s (not so much in M4A1s) by the statements of soldiers who were in combat.

I'm not sure that statement is correct. In all my years of hunting, I have always been told NOT to shoot anything near 100lbs with a 5.56mm round as it is primarily for varmits only. Why would you attempt to shoot a 150+ pound person with it?

Also, there are many reports of the 5.56mm proving to be woefully underpowered in combat. This is even after the "upgrade" to the 62gr round. 77gr and heavier rounds show a bit more promise, but even then they fall far behind a 6.8mm or any 7.62mm.

As long as we're wishing about what weapons we'd like to see........................

How about the STEYR AUG A3 W/ GL

How about the M 468.........the H&K 417

How about the M 60 E4 /7.62mm

these are fine weapons and some a little heavier than the 5.56

How about adding a 6.8mm cartridge to the MR/C rifle?

Just some thoughts........... :wacko:

5.56mm rounds aren't accurate beyond 100 meters.

No. Double no. No with a no on top. You do realize that the United States Marine Corps requires ALL marine recruits, including cooks and mechanics, to score a high accuracy rating at ***500 METERS*** with the M16A2 rifle.

So no, that is really really not true.

BTW, viiiper, the reason I asked about the M60 (and all variants) is because it's an inferior weapon and was replaced with the M240G. The M240 does all the things you named, only better. M240G might be what you'd want.

The OICW is also a dead weapon, and it weighs the same as a SAW.

5.56mm rounds aren't accurate beyond 100 meters. Thats a problem.

Wow. Interesting that I qualed 100% hit at 500 meters with issue green-tip ammo, and fired 600 yards with 69g handloads with no problems in DPMS matches.

Have you ever fired a weapon beyond 100 meters?

BTW, viiiper, the reason I asked about the M60 (and all variants) is because it's an inferior weapon and was replaced with the M240G. The M240 does all the things you named, only better. M240G might be what you'd want.

The OICW is also a dead weapon, and it weighs the same as a SAW.

Plz understand I’m no weapons expert and was commenting as a gamer and gr1 player,

The OICW was a good gun in the game and my link ref: were for those who did not know what it was. But point taken and I will have to trust you weapon guys, which there seem to be a glut of. I never realised we had so many guys with so much tech info on the subject, DAM !! as I put my inferior 5.56 away and get my new shiny 6.5 bullets out....

Thanks but you guys are too deep for me on this point.

p.s. If you ever need comm-tech info or the like I'm you man

Well I can understand that. Personally the OICW was the bane of my existence on GR1. I, trying to be skillful with my M16, kept getting annihilated by that behemoth because it can shoot full auto with not much recoil in the game and it has a semiauto nade spammer on it. AND EVERYONE USED IT! ###### me off a lot. So that's the other reason I hope it doesn't return. But that's just me ;)

Why the heck arent all the weapons that are available in the Single player Campaign, made available for multi-player online play????

Dosn't Grin know that more weapons makes most of us satisfied customers?

ALSO WHY ARENT ALL THE DOMINATION MAPS AND CAMPAIGNE MAPS GOING TO BE COMPATABLE WITH TEAM DEATMATCH????

Why the heck arent all the weapons that are available in the Single player Campaign, made available for multi-player online play????

Which ones aren't? Aside from the AT?

Dosn't Grin know that more weapons makes most of us satisfied customers?

ALSO WHY ARENT ALL THE DOMINATION MAPS AND CAMPAIGNE MAPS GOING TO BE COMPATABLE WITH TEAM DEATMATCH????

I think GRIN knows that it only has so much time to get so much done, and I'd venture "most of us" would take additional gamemodes first over more weapons, particularly if they're simply multiple weapons that will handle similarly.

The SP and Dom maps aren't designed for TDM play, and it's very likely they would play terribly. There were plenty of maps in GR1 that didn't play well in all gamemodes. With larger, more complex layouts, gameplay issues increase exponentially. New maps are being made for the new gamemodes; is this really such a terrible thing?