Problems with GRAW, SLI

First up: All other games, from Doom3 to Rise of Legends to Oblivion are working perfectly without any issues.

Next: Specs:

mobo: DFI LANPARTY UT nForce 4

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

memory: 2GB (1GB x 2) Corsair Twinx DDR 400

vid cards: 2 EVGA GeForce 7900GT in SLI

Vid drivers: tried two sets. First the 84.21 drivers from the nVidia site, then the 91.31 betas. Same exact behavior on both.

Here's the problem: No matter what setting I choose, no matter what options I choose, the display is wonky, it flashes and there are rolling lines and static all through it. If I start a game, then ESC out to the menu and choose a new resolution, the lines go away and the display is normal. I can crank the options up to the highest settings at this point and play for awhile...it inevitably crashes. That will either be resolved by fixing the display problem or I'll worry about the crashing later.

Here's a screenshot of what the game *thinks* it is displaying to me (click them for larger versions):

168622909_422f6f0946_m.jpg

I grabbed my camera to illustrate what I am *actually* seeing:

168622910_743de449b3_m.jpg

168622911_14bbea70b7_m.jpg

If I look around, the lines mostly disappear save for a 1" strip at the top of the screen, unless I look at the sky, when they tend to come back. Also, moving sometimes makes them mostly go away. They never resolve completely unless I change resolutions. Any ideas? I've tried messing with the render mode...doesn't matter.

OFF-TOPIC, this will be moved by mods soon to tech support.

Anyways, I know I've seen this problem before, what drivers are you running?

EDIT: Ugh nvm, you posted them :P One second.

Can't find the exact post at the moment, can you tell me the settings your running on when you play?

Edited by kevtimc11

Damn, I REALLY meant to post this in tech. I thought I had. Sorry!

IT doesn't matter what settings I pick. It happens the same way every time. If I start in 1280 x 1024, 70, it happens. 800 x 600 @ 60, still happens. I can switch to any display setting and then switch to whatever I started with and it's fine.

As for quality...everything set to lowest or highest, it doesn't seem to matter.

off hand it does appear to be a V-Card issue. But i've never ran a setup like the one you have there. It probably goes beyond something simple like- electric cables or things like that near the monitor.

Ofcourse the type of Motherboard your using, that may be it. I haven't read any reviews on it, but the Mobo is The foundation of any gaming rig as you know. I have a lot of research to do myself on Mobos. I will build another rig later this summer.

I have spent the last two hours trying different combos. the 84.43 drivers, different profiles, I even tried it WITHOUT SLI enabled. It still went nuts. Something's wrong and I don't know what. This is the only game that is affected. I am thinking of just dumping it and selling the game on eBay. Not sure it's worth the hassle.

Thanks for the advice and help...I wish I had better news! :)

I run SLI and never encountered such a problem. I did have some freeze problems in the beginning but a format and freshly installed WHQL'ed drivers solved it for me...(HINT HINT) Did you check your cards' temps? Just in case...

It seems the problem happens no matter what drivers you're using, so I'd suspect material failure. I remember seeing something similar, thoe without SLI setup, and it turned out the card was defective...You say you have tried without SLI enabled. Now what you want to do is try both cards separatly, without the other in the case. Remove a card and see if it still does it. If it does, switch cards in your case and see if it happens again. If it does it with only one card, you got your answer. If it does it with both cards running in single, alone in case, then I'd suspect motherboard. Maybe there is a problem with one of your PCI-E slots. If you can grab another vid card to make the test it would help too...

All I can think of for now...

Good luck with that,

stark23x

I usually visit HAF:SLI FAQ for some good reading about SLI.

or DFI Street, maybe there are ppl there with your same problem and may have solution(s).

Good luck and let us know what you came up with.

:thumbsup:

Just in case you have one of the bad batch of 7900, EVGA wants you to fill your RMA here.

Edited by Cpl Ledanek

• 2 weeks later...

First up: All other games, from Doom3 to Rise of Legends to Oblivion are working perfectly without any issues.

Next: Specs:

mobo: DFI LANPARTY UT nForce 4

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

vid cards: 2 EVGA GeForce 7900GT in SLI

Vid drivers: tried two sets. First the 84.21 drivers from the nVidia site, then the 91.31 betas. Same exact behavior on both.

Here's the problem: No matter what setting I choose, no matter what options I choose, the display is wonky, it flashes and there are rolling lines and static all through it.

I have similar problems with a similar setup.

mobo: ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

vid cards: 2 EVGA GeForce 7800GT in SLI

Vid drivers: tried two sets - 81.98 and 91.31 from EVGA site. Same exact behavior on both.

I went so far as to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall everything because I was getting this problem not just in GRAW, but in other games as soon as the graphics started processing. Sometimes it would happen at the Windows desktop after a cold boot, and the problem was getting progressively worse, so I reformatted and started over.

With the fresh install, everything was working great until... I installed ran GRAW for the first time (which was two days after the reinstall and running a couple other games OK during that period).

Usually, my graphics will "flash" and display strange things, colors, etc. and eventually the video will lock. A couple times, it's caused the computer to reboot. This happened just moments ago and there was a BSOD for just a split-second before the reboot. I barely saw something in the BSOD about a "physical memory dump" or something to that effect, so now I'm really confused about what's going on - seems like more than just a video driver issue??? Hopefully someone from GRIN can take this info and piece together just what the problem is...

To add to my earlier post, the graphics problems I get with GRAW also happen in other games. I uninstalled GRAW and still had the same problems in the other games. I uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers and the problem persists, so I see no alternative but to wipe the HD and start all over again. It seems that GRAW is somehow permanently corrupting something - video drivers would be my guess but I'm still scratching my head about that little piece of memory error I briefly saw in the split second appearance of that BSOD.

Bottom line, at least until someone finds a cause & fix for this, is to reformat and reinstall everything, except GRAW. Too bad because I think it's a very cool game...

Check for dusty bunnies on your heatsinks for your video card, CPU and any other item in your computer that has heatsinks. Also... Make sure your power supply is clean of any dust also...

It could something as simple as a bad driver install all the way to a bad slot on your motherboard.

Do you have a second monitor? If you do, switch it out and see if it's just the monitor causing it. I've also seen similar things to this with monitors going on the blink.

Make sure that the top of your display is clean of dust and other objects too as it can get hot and overheat.