Ghost Recon.net Forums

DXE Decompiler virtually complete

The deal is this, i can't publish my app because it uses some GPLed code and as such i would need to distribute source with binary. I dont want to distribute source unless i'm happy people wont point and laugh while reading it. I dont think i can legaly distribute dxe reversed source files either but would like some feedback from the GRIN or someone in the know.

Dude... whoa... slow down.

Step 1) GPL your own code

Step 2) Put this up on a code repo like CVS or SVN

Step 3) Let the community work WITH you!!

Seriously, nobody is going to point and laugh at you! You should be proud of what you've done, and learn from this experience. If anyone can help do some bugfixing or notice some holes/memory leaks/what have you, it's for the best!

The better tools we have, the better community we have.

Trust me, I'm a HUGE Linux fanatic. If there's one thing you should learn it's to not be ashamed of your programming skills! Would we even have Linux if Linus was "scared people would point and laugh at him"? Where would the internet be without the open source revolution he helped start?

For the community's sake, you should release it. Really!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deal is this, i can't publish my app because it uses some GPLed code and as such i would need to distribute source with binary. I dont want to distribute source unless i'm happy people wont point and laugh while reading it. I dont think i can legaly distribute dxe reversed source files either but would like some feedback from the GRIN or someone in the know.

Dude... whoa... slow down.

Step 1) GPL your own code

Step 2) Put this up on a code repo like CVS or SVN

Step 3) Let the community work WITH you!!

Seriously, nobody is going to point and laugh at you! You should be proud of what you've done, and learn from this experience. If anyone can help do some bugfixing or notice some holes/memory leaks/what have you, it's for the best!

The better tools we have, the better community we have.

Trust me, I'm a HUGE Linux fanatic. If there's one thing you should learn it's to not be ashamed of your programming skills! Would we even have Linux if Linus was "scared people would point and laugh at him"? Where would the internet be without the open source revolution he helped start?

For the community's sake, you should release it. Really!

Thats what I was trying to say, just much more eloquently phrased. And I've been doing a lot of programming of late, and am sort of running out of things to program. Honestly I have no idea where to start where decompiling something is concerned, but if theres any way I can lend a hand, please let me know.

In fact, one thing you could do would be to tell us what the GPLed code does, and I'm sure that there are people around here who would be able to write up a replacement without 'cheating' so to speak. I think that as long as the person who writes it wasnt influenced by any GPLed code you would be allowed to use it to replace the stuff you have now (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Well, Nemon checks the forums frequently, so hes definetly alive. Judging by his previous work and this one too, we can assume that his motivation isnt money. Therefore I have to assume that his purpose is somewhat civic virtue like. If he had given up, felt that he needed our help, etc, I dont think he would keep us in the dark.

In my professional opinion he is resolving the problems he described earlier, and will probably have something for us soon :rofl:.

I'm not in the least concerned about 'soon' or that Nemon hurry up and release something; GRAW is still a work in progress with GRIN still planning and releasing new free content, so in essence we don't even have the full game in hand yet... Add to that the game's rather ponderous render over-head slowing the its adoption and I think Nemon has plenty of time, to take his time -- and will have more then enough ecstatic Mod Developers and Fans regardless if/when he has something ready to offer.

What does concern me is his expressed trepidation about releasing something; that he's never really clearly said he wants or intends to release the DXE Decompiler -- and the implication of his dissatisfaction with his work and issues of licensure still appear to bother him... I certainly hope that's not the case, and that he realizes that 99.99% of the Clancy Mod Developer Audience are quite used to incomplete, broken or even crippled mod tools (from a commercial Developer that profits from them no less) -- and will be more then grateful for what ever they can get their hands on!

Lastly, I'm rather sure very few here fully appreciate the magnitude of the chore Nemon has assumed in doing what he's doing; he may trivialize his work and compare it himself unfavorably to the work of someone like Cristina Cifuente; which is a ridiculous apples and oranges comparison. Creating a de-compiler even with the help of others and full source of the compiler and script/language is a monstrous chore... Reverse engineering a compiler to create a decompiler from scratch requires a level of problem solving, intuition, full-context inductive thinking, and commitment that few have to offer, no less as a free project for a game audience.

We miss hearing from you Nemon!

sadeyes.gif

Edited by Waika

I was in a forum for another game and there was a Nemon there who was discussing coding, so it may be our guy. The thing that struck me was his signature said "Finally Married" in big letters, so maybe he's been honeymooning. But this could really just be rumor spreading, I have no way of knowing if it was our Nemon, or how long the sig had said that. But it's something... maybe...

Lastly, I'm rather sure very few here fully appreciate the magnitude of the chore Nemon has assumed in doing what he's doing; he may trivialize his work and compare it himself unfavorably to the work of someone like Cristina Cifuente; which is a ridiculous apples and oranges comparison. Creating a de-compiler even with the help of others and full source of the compiler and script/language is a monstrous chore... Reverse engineering a compiler to create a decompiler from scratch requires a level of problem solving, intuition, full-context inductive thinking, and commitment that few have to offer, no less as a free project for a game audience.

I admit I'm definitely one of those you speak of. I can follow bits of elementary coding, but know this is way over my head.

As such, there should hopefully be others in the community as intelligent as Nemon. Group effort, maybe?

I think the ball for this is squarely in Nemon's court. If he releases what he has, then there is some hope that we can move forward. I know that I do not have the time to reproduce what he has done so far, but I imagine that I could offer some assistance to help finish the tool. But if he is overlhy concerned with GPLing what he has done so far, then I'm afraid there is little we can do. But that is his choice, and I'll happily respect it.

My only request is that he let us know what his plans are. Clearly a lot of our DXE development hopes currently rest on getting this tool. Maybe Grin will help us out in the August patch and make this entire point moot. I just wish I had a bit more information about what both Nemon and Grin were doing as it would help me plan how I invest my efforts to help us get ready for some mission editing and development.

This is sort of a gratuitous bump post; but it has been over a month since Nemon posted anything about his DXE Decompiler and he did rather leave everyone hanging as far as whether he intend to release his "virtually complete" tool, ever, or just leave us hanging and depressed...

This is really frustrating and sad as far as GRAW's future as a Decompiler is nothing short of a decisive tool to GRAW having any sort of serious mod capability that will attract and sustain mod Developers of the calibur and numbers that continue to sustain Ghost Recon Classic...

What's up here? If Nemon doesn't so much as make the effort to post to fill in the blanks of doubt; will GRIN be releasing an official Decompiler? Is there some slipprey Ubisoft monkeying around that's preventing proper mod support on GRAW? Or, are we at the end of the road as far as mod capability for this game (untill the next $60 promiise)?

sadeyes.gif

Edited by Waika

waika I think that we need to be very gentle when it comes to the de-compiler, getting frustrated wont help get it done any sooner!:) I want it out just as much as you guys, but I cant do anything really more than plead to nemons kindness:)

hmm maybe I could send him a tshirt...hehe

I'm definitely not trying to rush or put any pressure on Nemon in any regard and have said so elsewhere in the thread.

What does confound me is that Nemon has expressed trepidation and reservations about releasing his DXE Decompiler even if/when it's finished -- so it's hard to tell if he even wants or intends to release the thing ever...

You should definitely send him T-Shirts, in fact send him an entire GRIN and GRAW wardrobe: socks, underwear, hats, pants, pajamas, bed sheets and curtains!

:santa:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, insane snyper, you seemed rather certain that Nemon intends to release his DXE Decompiler in spite of his remarks that suggest a contrary disposition to do exactly that...

The fact that Nemon has not posted anything in over three months, never came back and said he felt his reservations about releasing his Decompiler (that was functionally complete three months ago) were assuaged, and that a couple of rather cool mod projects have been virtually dropped pending a Decompiler does not look especially promising...

I remain committed to the position I was first to take in this thread; I don't wish to confer any pressure on Nemon to 'hurry up and release' his Decompiler -- I do however feel he should post an emphatic statement as to whether he intends to release the thing or not due to his previous unamended remarks, and the fact he did get a lot of Mod Developers and Fans very excited...

sadeyes.gif

At this point, with months past since his last post; it would appear Nemon has dropped the ball for whatever reasons -- personal or otherwise...

It certainly isn't out of the realm of possibllity (due to the complete lack of any comment by Nemon) that Ubisoft may have threatened to send ther legal Ninja after him if he releases or says anything further about decompiling any Ubisoft product, or offering others the means to do the same.

If you think that's a load; consider Ubisoft has taken far more Draconian steps, and even prevaricated over smaller issues where they perceive a threat to the revenue stream (present or future) to thier products...

I should enjoy it very much if Nemon would now make the next post, LOLROTF, while pointing at me for my silliness! Unfortunately, GRAW is wholly owned now by Ubisoft, not Valve, id Software, or even GRIN... I don't think there will be much laughing, but I'd sure love to be wrong...

sadeyes.gif

Edited by Waika

Anyone know how to get a hold of Nemon? I tried to PM him but he didn't answer. I'm not sure I feel comfortable emailing him. Does anyone know him from past gaming events, whatnot? That would be the better method of approaching him...someone who has had previous contact with him in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if Nemon has given up the ship and is not going to continue to work on a DXE Decompiler, and is not going to release what he has built thus far (which he has said is functionally finished albeit with bugs) -- I sure wish he would give us the consideration of saying so...

For those this thread is lost on; a working Decompiler (or it's absence) is the difference between the limited, crippled and awkward mod capability GRAW offers now, and something that would be a cut above what [GR] offers, and could really sustain this game as a gratifying next gen realism Enthusiast & Mod platform...

I'd be the first to acknowledge Nemon is totally within his rights to do what ever he pleases with what ever work he's done, or hasn'tl but as it's such a pivotal project, that he got so many of us so excited about, and for those who's hopes (and projects) he strung along -- the consideration of telling us he's abandoned ship, and is neither releasing anything nor intends to help anyone else with this would just be polite....

crying.gif

Edited by Waika
  • 3 weeks later...
[Aug 11 2006, 05:19 PM]...I think that we need to be very gentle when it comes to the de-compiler, getting frustrated wont help get it done any sooner! :) I want it out just as much as you guys, but I cant do anything really more than plead to nemon's kindness.

hmm maybe I could send him a tshirt...hehe

Don't know whether Willie sent nemon that t-shirt :P ? but has there been any update re status of this DXE Decompiler?