Ghost Recon.net Forums

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a nvidia geforce 2 mx400 and geforce 4 mx440se?

Also, is there much of a difference between card manufacturers or are they pretty much the same since they are all using the same nividia video chipsets?

I am looking for a "budget" video card for a system that I am building. I am looking for a 64MB video card that is 4X (the mobo I am going to buy has a 8X AGP slot).

I don't want to spend too much on the video card now, just something that will last me until more funds become available. ;)

Thanks for your input.

Tony

Edited by BigT4187

Correct me if I am wrong, but you posted a thread similar to this awhile ago, asking for suggestions about a new Video Card.

Might check it out.

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a nvidia geforce 2 mx400 and geforce 4 mx440se?

Without getting technical, the main difference is that the GF4 is more powerful. NVIDIA has added more advanced features not present in a GF2 card. Also has more pipelines for data, more bandwidth, higher speed core and RAM, etc.

Also, is there much of a difference between card manufacturers or are they pretty much the same since they are all using the same nividia video chipsets?

Generally, the cards are the same, however some manufactures choose to "color" their boards, change the heatsinks on the GPU, and add or remove memory heatsinks. Some even overclock their cards a bit.

I am looking for a "budget" video card for a system that I am building. I am looking for a 64MB video card that is 4X (the mobo I am going to buy has a 8X AGP slot).

I don't want to spend too much on the video card now, just something that will last me until more funds become available.

I will echo what I said in your similar thread: "Why by a card twice?" Say you spend $50 now for the MX, then when you want a better card you have to spend $120-150. Why not just purchase a good card once eh?

JMO

if your certain you want an mx card then id have to say go with the msi version, tho if i was you id get a gf3 ti 200 128 ddr only slightly more than the gf4 mx but a much more powerfull card, the gf4 mx is in reality a tuned up gf2 chip , ive owned gf2 and gf4 mx cards and to be honest my old gf3 ti 200 outperformed them all

What is your budget? :)

Here are some cards I found:

ATI Radeon 8500LE 128MB @ $86

Gainward GF3 Ti200 128MB Golden Sample @ $93

I recommend these cards for price/performance. They are also much faster than the GF4 MX series.

I'd even consider the GF4 Ti4200 cards, depending on your budget. They can be had for $115 to 150.