How large [can maps be] ?

ToW-Angel

I'm just curious as to how large maps can be?

I have noticed that there are some areas that you just can't get through... Is this intentional? Does it basically define the maps size? Always only 2 ways in or out kind of thing?

I'm use to a game that you could travel 64km in a direction, and if you went 128km, you'd end up back where you were. These are very expansive maps.

So, what are the dimensional aspects of GR:AW maps allowed to be?

I'm just curious as to how large maps can be?

I have noticed that there are some areas that you just can't get through... Is this intentional? Does it basically define the maps size? Always only 2 ways in or out kind of thing?

I'm use to a game that you could travel 64km in a direction, and if you went 128km, you'd end up back where you were. These are very expansive maps.

So, what are the dimensional aspects of GR:AW maps allowed to be?

A while ago a member of the GRIN-team explained it's possible in theory to make a map as large as "Mexico City" (i.e. the Mexico City from the game) but because of todays PC limit's (especially memory) this is only possible in theory. So I guess maps can be made somewhat larger than is the case now (most maps now are about 800x800 meter) depending on your system but not too much.

• 2 weeks later...

But how much larger would you want them? Vehicles have only limited use and running across massive maps is annoying.

I used the static tile objects which give you different tile sizes. My guess is that is the template to go by, but I still need a few more days to figure it out.

But how much larger would you want them? Vehicles have only limited use and running across massive maps is annoying.

I used the static tile objects which give you different tile sizes. My guess is that is the template to go by, but I still need a few more days to figure it out.

the static tile objects are whats used to make the backdrop city that you DONT play in;) if you hadnt figured that out! hehe, dont try and play in them. they have no collision and look horrible up close as they are made to be seen from a distance.

and the maps can be basicly as large as you want, as long as you have the computer power to render the lightmaps and/or actually run it after you have;)

the static tile objects are whats used to make the backdrop city that you DONT play in;) if you hadnt figured that out! hehe, dont try and play in them. they have no collision and look horrible up close as they are made to be seen from a distance.

and the maps can be basicly as large as you want, as long as you have the computer power to render the lightmaps and/or actually run it after you have;)

So how big are the maps that are already in the game, the single player maps specifically? How ever you guys measure it, polygons/triangles, playable area,etc. What is a playable size for the recommended system specs?

I've always made it a point to try to stay within the bounds of the games recommended systems specs when making a map. This is why I ask, as many people have trouble with the specs as high as they are already.

So how big are the maps that are already in the game, the single player maps specifically? How ever you guys measure it, polygons/triangles, playable area,etc. What is a playable size for the recommended system specs?

I've always made it a point to try to stay within the bounds of the games recommended systems specs when making a map. This is why I ask, as many people have trouble with the specs as high as they are already.

its kinda hard to say really how big you should make it as it depends on how much props and stuff you use, however the single player maps are roughly 800x800 meters +backdrop city units.

when you place props etc, im afraid to say that you will have to use your common sense not to make it to heavy on the computer!:)

its kinda hard to say really how big you should make it as it depends on how much props and stuff you use, however the single player maps are roughly 800x800 meters +backdrop city units.

when you place props etc, im afraid to say that you will have to use your common sense not to make it to heavy on the computer!:)

Thanks. 800x800 is great in my opinion. That's like sticking 4 GR1 maps together in a square area. It'll be a chore to actually fill a space that large and would make for some serious hiking in game. For someone like me interested in sp/coop maps, this is a good thing.

It's partially the common sense of us modders that worries me. The other part is that a good, large map will be tough to create because of the stress on our computers. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what everyone comes up with and what is actually possible.

i want to ask about occlusion , is there a way to zone off a section of a high-poly mesh ? i realize i can divide it into smaller more cpu-friendly sections but i would like to avoid that if possible , maybe 30,000 polys for terrain and my idea of the occlusion at this point is that it will only render props when viewed .