Siege Mod Beta 1

As with the TDM mod, I have limited capabilities to test things myself, most notably that I don't have 32 people on staff or a decent connection to run my own server off of to test, so I'm going to throw beta version 1 of the Siege mod up for the public.

Those of you who wish to test it please do and feel free to post any feedback you've got. There was mention from the original bunch that tested it that some people were getting crashes related to the zones. While I was entirely unable to replicate the issues on my own computer, I made some changes that -should- have resolved the issue. If anyone happens to run into a crash, or spawn bug of some sort, please post as detailed information as you can on here about it and I'll do what I can to fix the problem.

(By detailed I mean, what map you were on, what team you were on, whereabouts within the zone did you spawn - top left, bottom right, etc, and in the case of a crash did it crash during the map load, during gameplay, when spawning, etc...)

I am including with this release a copy of SierraSeven's mod launcher program to make it easier to turn the mod on and off without the need to muck about renaming/moving folders or altering files.

NOTE: To use the mod launcher you MUST have the Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 installed. You can get that here.

All you need do is decompress the file with winrar to your GRAW root folder, load the launcher, select the mod, click apply selection, then click launch. Then find a server running the mod and away you go.

As the balance for this game mode is heavily affected by not only the size and location of the capture zones, but the location of the team spawn zones as well, if there are any isues with balance I will make note of them and shift the zones around a bit for future versions.

Please also bear in mind with any feedback that I am restricted by the nature of the domination game mode. I cannot make it exactly the way it was in [GR], meaning I cannot make the attacking team win if they get someone in the zone for 5 seconds or whatever. To capture the zone it works exactly the same way capturing a zone does in domination. You MUST have overwhelming force in the zone to capture it.

Siege mod beta 1 download link.

Edit: I neglected to mention one more file included in the readme.

Also included is ..\local\Siege\strings\menu.xml to add an MOTD explaining the mode and warning people not to attempt to play if they do not have the mod.

Edited by TedSmith

It doesnt work for me:

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.10

Script: not found!

or:

c:\Code\Engine\dieselx\source\utility\Archive.cpp(1745)Cannot open e:\gaems\graw\data\gui\cross_com_zoomed_hud.xml.bin

(I dont see \data\gui folder!!!!)

It doesnt work for me:

or:

c:\Code\Engine\dieselx\source\utility\Archive.cpp(1745)Cannot open e:\gaems\graw\data\gui\cross_com_zoomed_hud.xml.bin

Cross-com zoomed hud? Huh....

My mod doesn't even touch that file. Might be some information that crosses over from one mod xml file to another. (edited to correct word slip up)

When exactly did the crash happen? Just loading into the game? Playing the game and did something? What server were you playing on? Any information you can give would help track down the issue.

Did you have any other mods installed previously?

Is anyone going to host a server?

If I had the ability, I'd throw one up myself but my connection has a pathetic upstream and drops on a regular basis.

Edited by TedSmith

It doesnt work for me:

or:

Cross-com zoomed hud? Huh....

My mod doesn't even touch that file. Might be some information that crosses over from one mod xml file to another. (edited to correct word slip up)

When exactly did the crash happen? Just loading into the game? Playing the game and did something? What server were you playing on? Any information you can give would help track down the issue.

Did you have any other mods installed previously?

Is anyone going to host a server?

If I had the ability, I'd throw one up myself but my connection has a pathetic upstream and drops on a regular basis.

The crash happens when I click GRAW ICON I get the black screen (loading game....) and when it seems the game is full loaded I get that error. I can't see the game menu...) I have no more mods... well yes, I have the blood mod.

The crash happens when I click GRAW ICON I get the black screen (loading game....) and when it seems the game is full loaded I get that error. I can't see the game menu...) I have no more mods... well yes, I have the blood mod.

Not even getting to the main menu hmm? Alrighty, I'm going to download the blood mod now to see if there are any incompatibilities between the two.

Edit: No issues found here. Not sure exactly what could be causing issues here.

Step by step, what exactly did you do? Are you running both mods at the same time, or are they in seperate folders? (The blood mod defaults to the folder English, the siege mod to folder Siege within the local folder)

Did you use the mod launcher program to select and activate the Siege mod?

As is, I can't replicate the error on my side so I'm not entirely sure what could be causing it. You haven't unpacked the bundle file and renamed it have you?

Edited by TedSmith

all worked fine here.

some of the clan had a few probs with ghost installed on D or E drive but got it to work.

we put a SIEGE game up and put in the title that it was SIEGE and still had guys joining the game without the mod installed.

gave them the link to the download but no go they just stayed playing.

the guys from [WAG] like the mod just need more maps & playerz.

ps....A BIG THANKS 4 THE MOD

:thumbsup:

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CLEAN VERSION AND PATCHED

there are several ways to troubleshoot the problems this has.

instructions if you have the game installed to the default directory:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter follow below.

1)you simple extract the contents of the mod folder into the root directory of your game (ABOVE) so it adds "local" "graw mod launcher" and a readme. IT IS ADVISABLE TO ADD A SHORTCUT OF THE MOD LAUNCHER TO YOUR DESKTOP

2)activate the the GRAW mod launcher.

3)go to seige mod on the left side

4)click apply

5)click launch and the game will play.

instructions if you have the game installed to another location:

1)go to c:/program files.

2)create these folders...C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

3)COPY the file "context.xml" into that empty folder.

4)the file "context.xml" can be found in the root directory of your GRAW game.

5)you extract the contents of the mod folder into the root directory of your game whatever it may be, so it adds "local" "graw mod launcher" and a readme.

2)activate the the GRAW mod launcher.

3)go to options/settings

4)change the game path to where-ever you have installed the game to. and click apply

5)click on file/rescan mods folder

6)go to seige mod on the left side

7)click apply

8)click launch and the game will play.

Thanks [WAG]Excursion www.wagclan.co.uk

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Someone just emailed me earlier today about that issue of having the game installed to a different folder. I'll have to pass that on to SierraSeven and hopefully he can get it to detect the installation folder when the mod launcher does it's initial setup.

The first time you run the mod launcher it should create a file called appconfig.xml in your GRAW root folder. As an alternative to creating dummy folders on your C: drive, you should just be able to edit the appconfig.xml. There's a section in there labeled GamePath or something to that effect. Change that to whatever you installed the game to initially and that should resolve the issue for now.

ok. i got a problem. i installed siege mod, but when i click the exe it says, error: no script!

Need more information.

Which exe? 'GRAW.exe'? Or 'GRAW Mod Launcher.exe'?

Where are the files located now that were extracted? Is the 'GRAW mod launcher.exe' file in your GRAW root folder?

Did you ensure that you have the Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 installed as advised?

Do you have any other mods installed?

Are you running with the bundle extracted and renamed or with the quick.bundle file intact? For reference, it should NOT be renamed.

Have you made any edits to the context.xml file on your own before installing this?

well the 1.16 patch as done nowt 4 me at all i don't like quake [DM].

better game's out there the play DM.

i hope with fingerz X the the siege mod will work soon plz.

ted can u have a go at fixing it good bud just loved ya mod.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm going to be looking into it again and into the TDM mod as well. After friday I've essentially got a week off work so I might get to it then, but it all depends on whether or not I feel like it at this point. This sunday is the one year aniversary of my father's death, hence the time off. I'll probably look into having Siege up and running over the weekend, but no promises, it's all mood dependant at this point.

Having put further thought into it, with the new map editor and it's capabilities, it's no longer even necessary to have a siege mod. No that doesn't mean that there won't be siege gameplay, don't panic.

Essentially the only thing the siege mod really did was alter the zones on the maps and change how the game reported a win.

All it would take now with the map editor is to find some way to edit the existing maps and set up the zones appropriately, then export them as different maps(MP01-Siege for example). Then players wouldn't have to worry about moving folders about to play siege style gameplay.

The only thing that would cause issues is the win condition. That requires an edited string file, but with the way the AC system works currently, having even that one single file would get you kicked out of any normal domination server.

I'm concerned somewhat about the effect that is going to have on people willing to actually use the mod. If it was just a custom map they had to download that didn't interfere with their regular gameplay, they'd be more likely to use it than if they had to move files and folders about every time they wanted to switch between modded and unmodded games.

The question is, are people willing to accept that when the game says the match ended in a tie, that it actually means the defending team won? That's really the only major difference it would make using a custom map method over an actual mod.

i just read this AFTER i posted asking if you were gonna be doing siege for the new patch (o_0)

i have a few clanmates interested in the siege mod, as i know WAG clan are too, so, if you need any guinea-pigs, just ask, i have lots of time!

Here Here Wolf.. WAG will b happy testing any siege mod any time and giving feedback :clapping: .

hope the TDM will b out july/aug and make things a bit better for us old ghostreconerz..

we at WAG have gone back to 1.10 so we can still play siege.

but TED thanks for ya info.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: