boat that carries 9 passengers

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever the normal # of passengers is, that's it. It's been awhile for me so I can't even recall how many that is. I tried adding more seat tags to a boat vehicle but it wouldn't recognize any more than standard. I believe that this is the same for all vehicles.

I'm sorry to disagree but a boat can be made to carry 9

I did a test that had one seat for the driver and 8 shotgun positions (don't know if there's a limit on seats though).

While we're swapping info (and on a similar subject) does anyone know if there's another designation besides seat and shotgun.

I'm talking about the almost prone position of the original CRRC/ dinghy from island thunder.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

All you need is someone who's made a boat and is willing to add the extra positions or who's trusting (and friendly enough) to hand over the max file and I'll add the extra positions in.

I just haven't been around long enough to build up enough good will to ask that kind of favour.

The boat has to be large enough to not look plain silly with the extra positions.

(Note:

I would make you a boat from scratch but I'm just too tied up at present.

I'm desperately trying to make room to start working on my Centcom map again.

I haven't got the time to make something thats worthy of release)

Edited by Phlookian

By program you mean Max?

Oh god, now I feel really rough.

That is just a recipe for a headache :wacko:

(besides, I don't want to lose one of my favourite scripters)

What kind of boat are you looking for?

And please don't answer "Aircraft carrier with functioning catapault"

Both the Sampan and PRB models in Year of the Monkey have 6 shotgun and 1 seat tag. I used these specific tags for their animations since we did not want a guy looking like he was steering a steering wheel in the back of the Sampan and the PBR has a driver actually modelled as part of the boat. 7 is the maximum that I was able to get working. I tried to alter them many times to accommodate more for the mission where you had to retrieve a crashed Huey pilot. I believe there was another mission as well. We could not manage to get them all to load into either boat. I also believe that a few of the cinematics in the mod have the boats completely devoid of actors because of this exact issue.

You are welcome to try of course, I'm just stating my experience. I also did not actually model the PBR just FYI but I did work on the seat tagging quite extensively. I also toyed with swapping animations for both my Sampan and the Blake's PBR, which ultimately resulted in failure on my part once the mission scripting was added to the mix.

Edited by sleeper

As I said earlier, I did a quick test with a boat that looks like a companion to a rubber duck with 1 seat and 8 shotgun positions.

Didn't do any in depth scripting but I did load/ sail/ unload the boat

If you want I can send you the test but I really don't want to see my pathetic attempt end up in someones mod.

PM me your mail address if you're interested.

Maybe you can copy the helper points over to another model.

The trick seems to be grouping all the helpers with the body as <n><body>modelname then grouping again with one more helper point as <n>modelname

Note: I've been testing with the original CRRC/ dinghy and RSE cheated so bad

Load a nonmember of player platoon as the driver and see what happens

Maybe you guys know this already but this explains a lot

more experiments on the way! :o=

Note/ edit:

I bow to sleepers experience in this issue

I haven't tested with cinematics etc

Edited by Phlookian

I think that i'd be curious to see what you came up with. There didn't seem to be any problem with cinematics and loading, just the issue of having a full group of player actors plus a rescued hostage type NPC. I think that both Rebar and Oso worked on missions that required this and I fully trusted in their knowledge of how to properly load the boat in the script. Who knows though, something could have been overlooked by myself. YOTM was quite a madhouse of activity at times and I was working on a dozen maps all at once and then playing around with vehicle creation and tagging. Maybe I had the additional helper points rotated or something that messed it up. There have never been too many, if any, people working on vehicles in this manner so help resources have always been limited. I'm probably doing more harm than good to the process but I was just stating my experience.

The trick seems to be grouping all the helpers with the body as <n><body>modelname then grouping again with one more helper point as <n>modelname

Yes, this was the method that I had always used for helper grouping as well.

Edited by sleeper

By program you mean Max?

Oh god, now I feel really rough.

That is just a recipe for a headache :wacko:

(besides, I don't want to lose one of my favourite scripters)

What kind of boat are you looking for?

And please don't answer "Aircraft carrier with functioning catapault"

I am happy scripting, lot`s to learn yet.

But i do have other intrest, even in GR:AW modding when it comes out.

But GR1 is always #1 here.

:thumbsup:

Man, I have to say that this is bumming me out. I used to have the .max file of the CRRC and a bunch of other stuff. I lost tons of files when my old HD crashed. I did find some files of my Sampan, i'm not sure that would help anyone though. Also after looking around I saw that El Oso's site still has a little tutorial on boat(and other vehicle) creation.

OK I've worked this out (with much assistance from Snowfella)

For a boat ^seat0 is the driver (a la truck)

^seats 1 to 6 are the classic dinghy poses from IT CRRC

above ^seat6 do not work and remain standing (but will stay in vehicle if vehicle has tagged floor polygon)

any number of positions marked ^shotgun

I haven't fully tested with this but from this info it seems clear that a boat can be made to carry 9 even if it's just one driver and lots of shotgun positions.