MP Camo mods, a very dangerous precedent

This is how GR started back in the day. First it was acid skins. Then people learned how to use exploits like tiptoe and wallpeek. Then retlock and speedhacks came about, followed by aimbots.

We had nothing but replays to spot these kinds of cheats. Replays worked great for catching almost all of them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had nothing but replays to spot these kinds of cheats. Replays worked great for catching almost all of them.

True, replays is the only anticheat that is efficient (even if time consuming to review).

It will not catch all cheats but many of them (altered camo might be difficult to spot)

Please GRIN make replays an option at least for dedicated server tools. :grin3:

Well actually Bludawg posted a screenie of a wall hack less than 5 days after the game was released, there are plenty of cheats out there already and a small army of cheaters out there using them. As mentioned in several other posts most of the original GR PvP online clan players wont touch this thing until/unless there is some way of beating at least some of the cheats, as 1 cheater in a leage/ladder match can make all the diff. I know at least 5 [GR] clans (including mine) who were ready to go the day this game was released but have just walked away from it altogether after the mess it turned out to be, lol not even any LMS game play out of the box

Did no one even read the whole post on this? It was by frito who stated he would not release it, done as some comptetition because someone said he couldn't do it. Has anyone even saw where you can download this? (don't post location, just curious) I have yet to see someone i could guaratee was using it. Only cheat i have seen was one guy speed hacking and he couldn't shoot while running so he was getting owned.

I got accused by one guy... LOL and i was above him in a snipers nest tossing nades everytime he came to me. He said it was funny how i always knew where he was.... my response was... next time look up, after i killed him like 5 times. He left though before he could see my response and about 3 other guys hit me at once since i gave myself up LOL!

I got accused by one guy... LOL and i was above him in a snipers nest tossing nades everytime he came to me. He said it was funny how i always knew where he was.... my response was... next time look up, after i killed him like 5 times.

ROCO, I've seen you in servers more than anyone else from these forums, and although I didn't know exactly what led up to it, I was in the server when that happened. :) Hilarious.

And it's exactly what I'm talking about -- people firing off hack accusations because they're getting owned. Sad how many people think they're too leet to be owned just a month after release.

I got accused by one guy... LOL and i was above him in a snipers nest tossing nades everytime he came to me. He said it was funny how i always knew where he was.... my response was... next time look up, after i killed him like 5 times. He left though before he could see my response and about 3 other guys hit me at once since i gave myself up LOL!

Yea, I think presently all the fear of/whining about cheaters and false accusations that are thrown around in GRAW, probably ruin the game more than actually true cheaters do... :o=

It is sad to see that some player, as soon as they are beeing owned, the whine about 'cheater' begins. I see these accusations being thrown at various players almost every night on the servers & TeamSpeak servers I join. Almost exclusively I disagree, as the owning can be explained by very simple means of 1) good and variable positioning 2) map knowledge, like you know where the chokepoints and typical camp spots are, 3) use of sound to pick up close enemies, and 4) skill.

Remember, most owning in GRAW is normally based on lots of years of FPS experience (from eg [GR]), so:

Don't let the fear of cheaters ruin the game for you!

Think twice before you accuse! Remember, you may possibly jeopardize a fair player's reputation

If in doubt and you are annoyed, simply go to another server (if it is your server, observe the guy/follow him around, gather info, but don't say anything, note his playername and keep an eye on him for the future...until server tools arrive)

NB! I don't say that we don't need anticheat tools. We do need it for laddering, server admins etc, and to calm everybody, however replays are probably more important and durable as 'anti-cheat'.

GRIN, Please provide replay tools (like in [GR]) at least for dedicated servers. :g_withgrin:

Did no one even read the whole post on this? It was by frito who stated he would not release it, done as some comptetition because someone said he couldn't do it.

And you believe him? After all the problems he caused for the GR community with his other hacks?

Edited by ruggbutt

UBI once again proving they are the biggest joke going around.

I don't know why people keep buying their games and rewarding them for releasing half-finished products. I'm glad I decided to hold off again. I couldn't stand dealing with odds like that pink camo. It's laughable. Just goes to show how much they value their repeat customers; they will let you get cheated and do near to nothing to stop it.

The single player game looks excellent - I'm keen to play it, but I can't bring myself to pay for half a game. All the community wanted was replays, a bit of help with the cheaters, and some mod tools etc, and you all got sweet FA.

People are stupid. :wall: Me included. I was going to buy the game solely on the basis of the design decisions (tactical, realism) GriN were making, until I got a whiff of the ten pound turd (UBI) in the corner of the room. They wait all this time to give you a sequel, and then rush the developers into delivering half a game. I feel sorry for GriN. It just makes them look bad to people who aren't familiar with UBI's business practices.

Pity, cause I want to buy the game. Just can't justify it.

ArmA might be good - so long as UBI don't end up publishing it.

You can do screenshots, use Fraps.... or just do a print screen , alt-tab out ...go into paint, copy-paste... and save. Voila! A screenshot!

I think you are a little out of your depth here Damolee..

It is NOT possible to do that during a match (the alt-tab thing). As for FRAPS, most guys will be turning that OFF for ladder matches, I am sure. The 'overlay' that fraps uses and FRAPS itself is a performance 'hit' for all pc's, even if it is not very big it is still a cause of lag to the local pc.

I don't know why people keep buying their games and rewarding them for releasing half-finished products.

Unlike EA, the number one videogame producer in the world -- they NEVER release games that need patches, like Battlefield 2 -- no patches, none needed, perfect at the time of release. :whistle:

Nice to see more expert testimony from someone who doesn't have the game. :thumbsup:

Unlike EA, the number one videogame producer in the world -- they NEVER release games that need patches, like Battlefield 2 -- no patches, none needed, perfect at the time of release. :whistle:

This is not TotalBF2 forum, this is gr.net forum. <_<

I have both games, i prefer GRAW as gameplay, but BF2 is complete: free dedicated server, punkbuster, demos (replays).

Unlike EA, the number one videogame producer in the world -- they NEVER release games that need patches, like Battlefield 2 -- no patches, none needed, perfect at the time of release. whistle.gif

Nice to see more expert testimony from someone who doesn't have the game. thumbsup.gif

Patches are one thing. Having to add parts of the game that just weren't included in a rush to get all your money is another thing. And what do EA have to do with it anyway?

And I don't need the game - I can read. That's the point of my post. Jesus. :blink:

Edited by tonytwotoes

I too didn't buy the game, one of our squaddies was so trusting in UBI/GRIN that he purchased a separate copy for the server. I've played thru it a bit and I'm waiting (somewhat) patiently to see what GRIN is going to do with m/p.

But Tony is on the mark for the most part. If I had just been reading these (and other) forums I'd have a pretty good handle on what's going on regarding GRAW. Just cuz he doesn't own it doesn't mean he's clueless. The demo mission is exact to the one in the final version and on my machine plays in an identical fashion.

If Tony had played the demo then he'd have plenty of info to base his critique on.

Jackal you are right ... this is a problem...

i really hope and believe GRIN will do their best to stop problems like this one for the MP game!

or GRAW will not last as lomg as GR1 .... unfortunately...

GR still never stopped these skins, onlything it had was replays :whistle:

I hope they do to.

Unfortunitly.... looking at the staff in the credits I dont think GRIN is going to have the man power to really remold this game into shape anytime quick.

and rugg... to be honest I wish I didnt too.

Edited by Prozac360

Guest Jace11

Ah a cheat's a cheat. At the moment it is difficult to say if you've been killed by a cheater or not. I haven't had one really obvious case I've seen. Using the MR-C for example makes it seem like everyone is using some kind of armour cheat - that gun is rubbish for MP.

People can quickly figure out your location, and if they are using teamspeak, pass it quickly to others...

These skin cheats could give someone a slight advantage, but it would make your game look so gay it would be embarassing.

I don't know why people keep buying their games and rewarding them for releasing half-finished products.

Nice to see more expert testimony from someone who doesn't have the game. :thumbsup:

Whats this ? EA games being perfect everytime..your dreaming. Look at Need For Speed Most Wanted, was a piece of crap out of the box and still is. :P

Edited by }PW{ Payback

Whats this ? EA games being perfect everytime..your dreaming. Look at Need For Speed Most Wanted, was a piece of crap out of the box and still is. Do some homework before posting EA fanboy garbage.

Sarcasm alert payback. Read his post again and note the smiley.

And you believe him? After all the problems he caused for the GR community with his other hacks?

Just about as far as i believe that he made the hack. If he did... why would he tell the person that put in on the forum? That's plain dumb. For all we know it was a hoax and a photoshop although i have never seen a wall hack from the players point of view, so i'm not sure what they really look like.