Ghost Recon.net Forums

Functional team deathmatch mod

I think he's calling it incomplete and takin an aspirin before he tackles the next job

:thumbsup:

That's probably a closer assessment. I won't call it finished because it doesn't work the way I want it to. As I said earlier, I'm going to be releasing a second version (call it beta 2 if you like) with scattered spawn points to help stop people from spawn camping. Outside of that, there's little more I can do at this point.

When the map editor comes out, I should be able to release an updated version with smaller maps and using the maps in such a way that people won't have to keep turning the mod on and off when they want to use it. It would just function as an extension to domination mode with specific maps that are marked (TDM) or something.

Bear in mind that messing with the spawn points isn't entirely simple. That's what's taking a while for me to get the next version out. If I misplace a spawn point, then there's a chance you will spawn inside an object (be it building/car/whatever) and then you'll simply fall through the map. So I have to test each and every spawn point I set to make sure that doesn't happen and still keep them within a certain proximity so that people aren't wandering for ages to get into the action.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this new random spawn point thing is still another version of TDM or is something else?

And wow man you are above and beyond the call of duty on this one. So everytime you set a spawn point you have to reload the game and check it? everytime? or do you have a faster way?

:starwars:

any chance of adding sensors to game? Opponents in your spawn show up on map, so maybe making some type of sensor will be possible. I figure with TDM, people will just have one guy camp the whole map, to insure tie. Sensors can help to eliminate that. One of the great things about GRAW Domination is that staying still the whole match does very little good in terms of points/zones being obtained, requiring you to keep moving into enemy territory. TDM will bring camping back, so with it we should have sensors too.

Edited by rackrunner

How were you able to save changes to the maps ... ie new spawn locations?

did you save the new modded map?

how do i know who is hosting a team deathmatch map?

is it possible to change the spawnpoints? like have one side start on the bridge and the otherone on the other side... then add cars and stuff in between... that would be cool

Alrighty, question number 1: The changes to the maps themselves are totally related to the overlays placed upon the maps by the zones.xml file and all the MP hud files. The map file itself looks to be pristine with no specific alterations made to it to actually MAKE the map a domination map. That's all added through configuration files later which are what I edited.

The spawn points also revolve around the zones.xml file. If you look at a stock (unmodified) zones.xml file, you'll see all the zones in there plus two that are marked "Base = 1 and Base = 2" (1 being US, 2 being Mex) Move that Base=1 or Base=2 to another zone and that zone is now the spawn point for the corresponding team.

As well, each of the zones are defined by the rect (rectangle) lines listed within them. Each one of those creates a rectangle shape bounded by the Top left (tl) and bottom right (br) listed in the file. All that's needed to actually move the spawn is to alter those numbers so that the zone appears somewhere else on the map. Theoretically, it should also be possible to have scattered spawn points throughout the map simply by making a bunch of little rectangles within the same spawn that are placed throughout the map. I don't know if they have to be connected or not...

Of course I don't really know what the practical application of that would be... just musing really.

On a sidenote, that's an easy way to get HH maps rolling too. Just make a zone in the center of the map, connect the supply lines from each base to it and off they go. I'm sure I saw a way to change how long it takes to cap or neutralize a zone somewhere, just a matter of finding it and tweaking that to make that viable.

And on a second sidenote... I wonder if I can create a small zone just outside the boundaries of a map without crashing it... that would make HH into TKotH since the game wouldn't end when the center zone was captured, only when one team eliminated the other or the time ran out... Edit: Hmm... Come to think of it, the tiny faux zone doesn't even need to be outside the map boundaries, it just needs to have no supply lines going to it so no one can capture it.... Hmmm.....

Edit 2: SierraSeven's Mod launcher looks pretty decent and very easy to implement. I may end up adding support for that in an updated version to make things easier for people.

@Ted: can't those circles(you mentioned earlier) be the zones placed on the .BMP file of the command map? i mean to say, that the command map is a bitmap file with the spawn zones placed on the bitmap file. so I don't think you can help that..UNLESS!, seeing how you're making leeps and bounds, figure out how to make a Bitmap file of the command map. If GRIN/UBI release the map making tools, this will have to be a feature so command maps can be made.

Added: I did notice the amount of points decreases using the TDM mod which isn't a problem. But you've answered my prayers of being able to pick out a weapon of choice without having to have points. As this progresses, this game will go away from GRAW and become Ghostrecon.net:modded warfighter. :lol:

Edited by Papa6

So this new random spawn point thing is still another version of TDM or is something else?

And wow man you are above and beyond the call of duty on this one. So everytime you set a spawn point you have to reload the game and check it? everytime? or do you have a faster way?

:starwars:

Nope. No faster way. Every time I set a spawn, I have to load in, check the borders of it and see if they're where I want then I estimate how much to move/resize it, quit, edit the files (text based x,y and z coordinates) then reload, and start all over again.

And yes, the random spawn point thing is going to be a beta 2 version of the TDM and that will be the last I look at that one for a while, then I'm going to focus mainly on siege since I that actually seems to be working the way I want it to thus far and I haven't run into any walls yet.

any chance of adding sensors to game?

While I won't discount the possibility, my gut feeling tells me that this is beyond our capabilities at this time. We just don't have the tools necessary to create an object, add it into the game and define some form action it would take over network games.

Frankly, I was never a fan of sensors to begin with. Camping is and always will be a part of Team elimination play. The catch is simply to set up matches with the understanding that at the end of the round, the team with the most kills wins, if that's your prerogative.

I realize at the moment the maps are enormous and as such, a hiding player is vastly more likely to manage it without ever getting caught. Until we get the ability to shrink down the maps some and create new smaller maps more suited to this style of play, then the only thing that CAN be done is playing with a standard LMS ruleset (team with most players alive at the end of the round wins).

Unless of course someone feels like going into the world files for each of the maps and adding in a bunch of artificial barriers to hem players into a smaller playing area. That someone of course being someone other than myself... that's WAY too much work for me and just not worth it when there's a map editor around the corner.

@Ted: can't those circles(you mentioned earlier) be the zones placed on the .BMP file of the command map? i mean to say, that the command map is a bitmap file with the spawn zones placed on the bitmap file. so I don't think you can help that..UNLESS!, seeing how you're making leeps and bounds, figure out how to make a Bitmap file of the command map. If GRIN/UBI release the map making tools, this will have to be a feature so command maps can be made.

Added: I did notice the amount of points decreases using the TDM mod which isn't a problem.

Negative. Those circles are not part of the map itself. They are attatched to the zones that are created which are all overlayed on top of the map. The map file itself is pristine, no markings on it, just the buildings, various cover objects, decoration objects and the ground they're all placed on. Anything else you see on the map, be it zones, letters, labels, whatever is all overlayed at a later point.

The points, you mean tac points? Yeah, most of the tac points people accrue during domination play are from capturing zones, so naturally with no zones the points will go down.

Hmm then we'll just need to go with what we have. I'm sure if you release yourself to the ways of the force young padawan, you might be able to defeat the darkside.

But I think we are limited to some degree with what we can do until GRIN/UBI give us the mod tools. my thinking is all things like maps,XML files and the lot will be made by the mod tools/editor whatever. If I see Colin post another.."oh what and see the great things to come crap", I'll....I'll..oh bother, I'll just sit here and drink my Pepsi and laugh at him :rofl: .

Thought I'd throw an additional note up here, seeing as how I said I was going to put out an updated version of this soon. I am still intending to do so, and have the spawns essentially worked out but I'm going to wait until the patch before I release a new version. The largest problem I was having with it will be resolved with the updated version of the mod and hopefully some mappers will be able to give us some more appropriately sized maps for Team Elimination matches when the mapping tools become available.

Anyways, beta 2 of the Team Elimination/Team Deathmatch mod is still a go but it won't be released until the patch hits.

Edited by TedSmith

Ted is doing things most of us will be waiting for over the summer, new gametypes etc. he hinted that everything is situated according to coordinates. interesting

That's awesome and all but with people saying the patch is out in maybe a week isn't this sort of a waste. No offense or anything. But still very COOL :thumbsup:

The patch won't contain Team Deathmatch, just regular Deathmatch. That's why I'm still putting this out so pople will have something to mess around with until GRiN comes out with their official TDM mode which the only date we have on it is "During the summer".

• 3 weeks later...

OK I know most people now have this mod running, but I'm having one heck of a time getting it to go.

I have renamed the original local folder to ORIGlocal and left it in the GRAW folder then pasted the TDM "local" folder there in its place. launch the game and away it goes, UNTILL its time to play. Then it crashes.

Here is the crash log message, pls tell me what you make of it, cause it makes no sence to me. I'm a noob at this stuff!

Crash in application version: grpcrc1.16

data\lib\managers\menunetworkmanager.dsf(-1): cant find member: set_text in type <void>

SCRIPT STACK

data\lib\managers\menunetworkmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\menumanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\menumanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\setups\setup.dsf(0)

data\levels\mp01\mp01.dsf(0)

can you post here or e-mail me @ cam@walkingdeadarmy.com

TY Cam out!

Sorry, the TDM mod was never actually updated to run with the 1.16 patch. It ended up being irrelevant since people can just create maps with the new map editor that have only the base spawns and require no mod installed at all. Much easier to use that way.

I am working on modding the original maps to function in both TDM and a modified siege mode. Waiting on the results of some testing at the moment.