Alliance: The Secret War

Hatchetforce

Haha, awesome.

Looks sort of scripted, but fun. The animations, lighting and effects are all really nice. Just read this article about it and it boasts some nice features;

In one instance, a gunner in a large tower pins you down, and you're incapable of firing back, so you have to draw his fire long enough for one of your teammates to destroy the tower, which topples gloriously to the streets below. Another cool aspect of the gameplay is the ability to use dead bodies as "organic cover" (in the words of the developers); they'll take bullets and flop around as you hold them in front of you.

Note the "incapable of firing back" section of the above paragraph. That wasn't a result of a lack of ammo or anything; instead, the game keeps track of all the different real-world statistics of the different weapons you're fighting with, such as muzzle velocity, bullet distance, killing power, and so forth.

That part of the video was hilarious. The whole concept is nice and fresh, too. One to look out for.

Just read something that confirmed a feature I saw in the video:

In the video, you see the player trying to hit the guys who just blew up the tank, but they are out of range. He then ducks into cover and you can see him fiddling with his sights, then he pops up and hits the guys on the roof.

It seems that if you are trying to hit a target that is outside your weapon's average range, your accuracy meter in the top right will tell you so. You can then actually adjust your iron sights for distance, so you are able to hit the target.

I didn't even have to see this game. I mean it was just the warstudio and the ballistics stuff. I mean.....damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Then teh game started. :|

Graphics ain't half bad either. ARGH! Can you imagine the mp? damit to hell this shoulda been gr3!! not graw mind you.....GR3!!!! :angry:

Edited by Stalker_Zero

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Yep, this game seem to include a lot of those features we never got/will get in GRAW (realism options and a injury model similar to [GR]). I wish these guys from Harvard the best, and will follow their community forum closely...seem to clever dudes and the answer a lot of questions...

PS The game is entitled: Alliance - The Silent War

I am confused about the SP, it looks like it is built primarily for MP. Is there a campaign or are there just a series of generated missions or scenarios. I would like to know if they are just scripted firefights, are there objectives or do you just kill everything, how big are the levels.

I am confused about the SP, it looks like it is built primarily for MP. Is there a campaign or are there just a series of generated missions or scenarios. I would like to know if they are just scripted firefights, are there objectives or do you just kill everything, how big are the levels.

You can probably get your answers at their forum...

http://alliancethegame.com/community/

Wow, I'm glad someone brought this to our attention. This game looks like it is all about game play which is key.

A key facet to the design of Alliance is the War Studio, a comprehensive database from which you can examine all the weapons in the game. In all, the game will ship with 200 (possibly 215) usable weapons. The War Studio will allow you to peruse the arsenal and get almost as much information on each as you would out of Jane's Dictionary (the bible of military weapons). You can do query searches based on a large number of parameters. Everything from rate of fire, era, type of ammunition, and even country of origin, can be used to search for and examine the weapons. What's more, the game has realistic tables for weapon accuracy. A diagram of a human body can be placed and moved around on this table in order to determine just how accurate and how much damage will be inflicted over various distances (setting the body close to the point of origin will generally reveal large body damage, while placing it at a long distance will show considerably less).

I love having tons of guns in a game. This is just insane how many guns you can have and how realistic it is. You could make some interesting servers just on the weapon selection alone.

I think what makes this game great is that it is starting with a somewhat small group of developers with their own ideas and they go seek the publisher for it instead of the publisher finding the developer and forcing it's ideas down their throats. As far as the question about this being mainly focused on SP here is what they said.

Emphasis on the design of Alliance is currently 50/50, with equal amounts of time going into single-player and multiplayer both. Half of their time is being spent on creating the backstory which will serve for the various levels and conflicts of the game. The rest of their time is being spent ensuring that multiplayer will keep everyone playing well after beating the game.

Would be nice for some coop action in this game as well. If anyone comes across new info please keep us updated. Should be a fun game to follow.

Here are some interesting videos. I like the one on the game engine.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/823/823977/vids_1.html

Great interview with developer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=...wmv&pl=game

Edited by dporter