Mod Launcher

I'm not quite sure what GRIN's plans are when it comes to enabling GRAW to use different mods in game, but if they don't come up with a solution, I could probably whip up a very simple mod launcher that would run before GRAW is launched.

Basically it'd be done up in .NET and would just modify a few XML files. For instance, each mod would be stored in its own folder under the local folder. Within each mod folder would be a simple XML file with a few details about the mod. The launcher would scan the local folder for all available mods, presenting you with a list of mods that you could use.

Sounds fairly simple, and it really is. It'd be much nicer to see an in game solution though, so hopefully GRIN will pull through for us! Great work thus far guys/girls @ GRIN!

I think you should toss one together regardless. The process of modding GRAW (testing for sure) is not straightforward and some who might mod are thrown off by it IMO. having an easy to activate way to test things like weapon mods would probably kick up more interest.

I was thinking about that, but I concluded that without a bundle repacker, or more information on how the patches are implimented, I wouldnt be able to do much beyond slightly simplifying the process of adding mods as a language, and that it really wouldnt be worth it.

But, if you can do it, by all means, I would love to have a tool like that.

Actually insane snyper, thats how I was planning on going about it. Each mod would be stored in a 'language' folder within the local folder with an XML file containing some details required by the launcher. When you select a mod, it would simply open the proper XML file, modify the language setting, save it, and then launch the game.

Not the most sophisticated way of going about it, but if you're testing out different mods it'd be worth it rather than trying to go about it on your own and continuously navigating to the file.

I'll have to check my work schedule, but I'll see what I can do if I've got some time. I'll have to bring out the Visual Studio DVD... whered it go now...

Thanks for the interest in the project. I've got the next few days off for the time being, so I should be able to get something put together in that time. I'll likely start working on it tomorrow night, just got in from some overtime at work and it's 4AM, so I'll need some rest first.

Any kind of suggestions for what should be included in this project? Obviously the main purpose is to launch different mods, but perhaps configuring a few script properties such as togling on and off the ability to compile modified XML files? Stuff like that.

you could incorporate lots of neat things really. the no intro option, make a ret color option. whatever you fancy like playing with :)

Could also have the app look for a simple moddesc.xml or such that the modder could use to put the Title of the mod (verses using a folder name), version #, and maybe a link to a support page/email.

you could incorporate lots of neat things really. the no intro option, make a ret color option. whatever you fancy like playing with :)

Could also have the app look for a simple moddesc.xml or such that the modder could use to put the Title of the mod (verses using a folder name), version #, and maybe a link to a support page/email.

The moddesc.xml file is what I was planning on doing. This way if someone had the game installed using the Italian language, it would not perceive the Italian folder as a mod.

I'm also thinking of implementing many of the helpful things that people have found on this board, atleast until the next patch is released. For example, a checkbox to enable the ingame editor which would save the user from making all the required changes.

Just a quick update on the project. I've had a fair bit of time to work on it today, especially right now early in the morning (shift work sucks for sleep patterns). I've got it functioning right now in such a way that it can modify the context.xml file attributes. It also scans the GRAW Local folder for directories containing modinfo.xml files, parses them, and displays the details for each mod so that you may select which one to use.

I haven't gotten around to making the application launch GRAW right now, but I'm sure that it won't be hard to do at all. I'll take some more time tomorrow to add some additional features, unless theres some interest in this, then I can release a preview version for those that are interested.

It should be noted however that this tool requires the .NET Runtime Version 2.0, so if you are interested, be sure to have it installed in order to run it.