Critique my tentative rig

From NewEgg

Shuttle SN25P AMD Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Barebone

$359.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$119.99

BenQ FP202W Black 20.1" DVI 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

$299.99

XFX PV-T71G-UDE7 GeForce 7900 GT EXTREME (520MHz) 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$294.99

BenQ x120Pro 2-Tone USB + PS/2 Wired Slim Keyboard - Retail

$0.00

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

$5.99

OCZ Titanium 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCTE-K - Retail

$199.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX - Retail

$357.00

Subtotal: $1,637.94

Considering becoming a computer dork again. Content to stick with socket939, prelim tests don't show much improvement in 940, would have to wait on Shuttle/software. Solid on the case/ 7900, but not brand / X2, but not speed / monitor.

Curious if there's comparible ram for cheaper. There's so much more gobbledegook since the last time I bought ram straight-up... 4MB for $150. Can't really find if the extra 512k L2 cache per core is worth the premium paid with regards to the processor.

No overclocking.

just want to let you know that some ppl have overheating problems with Shuttle SFF. I'll try to find the link where I read it.

I.T. tech we have at work only advice to me when I almost went this route was keep the case cover off. He suggest if you have some McGuyver knife and gum, there's a way to get these clear plexiglass/resin stuff from HomeDepot you can make a cage so nothing will accidentally drop inside your SFF yet keep it air-cooled.

Good Luck,post some benchies and screenshots for us. :thumbsup:

If you will not overclock, I think you could back off on the RAM and save yourself some money there. This is shockingly close to a machine I built recently (different drive, slightly different OCZ memory, etc.). However, I skipped the Shuttle MB/case and went with an MSI uATX board in an ASPIRE QPACK box. It's a bit more spacious and cooling is a bit more robust, of course it does take up more desk/shelf space. Overall I managed to save about $150 or so by skipping the Shuttle. (Note: be sure to get a decent PS if you go the Aspire route, and be sure to get a "short" optical drive if you use a standard ATX PS).