GRAW Was Not Worth Waiting!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey look, I know the frustration, and giving up on it is of course your choice...

But I suggest you to hang in there, give it some more time, let the next patch arrive, which hopefully contains some improvements, especially for mp, not just bug fixes...

I played some classic t vs t GR yesterday, and I tell you the original GR still rocks, especially the effect of beeing hit. After playing GRAW for the last weeks going back to GR gave me a real scare when I got hit...a dull THHHHUD and the ret simultaneously knocked off...I basically jumped in my chair..not at all as in GRAW, which in mp has the weak tzzz-sound like you touch an electric fence (if any sound at all) and virtually nothing happens when you're hit :(

I'm sorry for repeating myself on this issue in several posts but it is SO IMPORTANT to the game to hear & feel being hit

Discussion thread here:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34323

Well, GRAW has a lot of nice features for mp too, compared with [GR] and I really enjoy the maps. As I said, CrAzYSeRb, wait for the next patch (and keep your fingers crossed that GRIN will deliver the goods)

I agree completely with you about the "feeling" of being hit in GR 1 -

That totally makes the game feel so real (much more so then any other FPS...including GRAW).

From the "thud" to the jerking of your gun sights....it just as the complete and perfect effect / feel - GRAW has taken a definite step backward...and for what??

Why change a perfect aspect for GR1??

I have read many posts that are barely intelligible rants about GRAW, where the only thing said is to put GRIN and UBI in the worst light. Yes, I click out of those threads ASAP. In CrAzYSeRb's case, I finished reading his post.

I have no problem with a post like CrAzYSeRb's.

It wasn't a diatribe, merely statements as to why he didn't like the game. Forums are about discussing; he discussed his views. There are no forums where every post is good and noteworthy. There are just a certain range of topics to be discussed about GRAW, so maybe that is why some of it seems like a broken record. But now and then there is good content to be found here. At times, it seems you have to wade thru allot of crap to find it.

GRIN reads allot of what is written here, good and bad. I hope they can tolerate the bad to find what will most improve the game, because it is here.

Welcome to the forums CrAzYSeRb

Thanks for the introduction and the "Cheers"

Edited by wombat50

If you look at it from the other direction you have people rehashing the same "positive" issues. There's no difference except from which point you're standing. My comment still stands in that it "seems" that it's ok here to reiterate from here to eternity about the good points, but that negative points (no matter how much or how little discussed) are not welcome.

I'll be the first to complain about something but I'm also not afraid to post praise. There are many others here who feel the same way. There are fantastic points about GRAW that are completely overshadowed by it's bad points. Ignoring those points, or those people who re verify them is the issue.

If GRAW was so hunky-dory you wouldn't see half of the complaints that people are posting. I've stated it before but if GRIN gave us GR1 with updated graphics and weapons you'd have 90% of the fanbase thrilled to death. Whether that's a good thing or not I can't answer. I know that right now GRAW doesn't feel like a sequel.

Ruggbut you brave and honest and that I respect. The world would be a better place if it had more people like you.

Why do we need switching between characters? I don't.

Ability to switch characters--by definition--means having more control, and more control means a better play experience overall. I believe it's that simple. I'm baffled that GRIN doesn't see it that way.

Switching characters/teams at will lets you work around certain AI limitations. I found that again and again in GR1--enabling me to forgive AI problems in the original game!

The only argument I've heard against character switching is that it's unrealistic. I can't argue with that, but gameplay always comes before realism, so I am--again--baffled that GRIN sees it differently.

Clearly, they thought the improved command interface and cross-com would make up for the lack of direct control over other characters. IMO they don't. It will take substantial AI improvements to make me feel confident enough in the AI that I don't need direct control. Specifically, I'd like to see soldiers learn from their mistakes.

adam

I think most enjoyed the character switching bcz if they get killed, they can switch to another alive soldier. some did to get a sense where they need to go or look at the target objective.

But crosscom is used to change that, some just don't like change. I'm changing, I'm getting older, I don't like it. I have arthritis in my ankles, but I accept it and have to live with it.

Besides the fact that i couldnt get the patch to work and i tried to sell it. Graw was an ok game. Just like i liked it when it was released as Star Wars Battle Front 2 (pretty clsoe to the same game). It was ok for what it was... It's just not Ghost Recon.

Ghost Recon is Dead.

GRAW is dead. This game is so ridiculously hard to play it ruins the whole experience. That was the beauty of the original GR. Its simplicity and fluid game play. This piece of crap has multiple scroll menus and constant micromanagment of your teammates. Whatever happened to 1-9 to change weapons? What about ROE? Instead, during a firefight you're fumbling with a scrollwheel and having to give each person on your team individual orders or they just stand there and strafe back and forth in your line of fire. If they're not doing that they're coming up behind you and pushing you from behind your cover.

I tried to like it. It looks good. The physics are good. The sound is good. But after you get into the game a little it turns into an endless, impossible to beat hallway shooter. I played that the first time around. It was called DOOM.

Couple all that with enough bugs to make an Orkin man scream like a girl and you have GRAW. It could have been good but this clunky piece of junk will never and I mean NEVER be what GR1 was. I would have been happy if they had just taken the original engine and pumped it up a little, threw in a new map set and rereleased it. This $50.00 piece of garbage is going in file 13.

Ghost Recon is Dead

I think that is the smartest thing i have seen anyone post.

Yes Ghost Recon is dead. It was Great in it's time but it is time to move on. either except it or die with it. (the multiplayer aspect is dead... no ladders hardly any public servers with a peep on)

GRAW is dead.

Actually it is coming to life. Just sorting out the growing pains. It has tons of modder potential and if you don't like the ai, hook up on a co-op game and play the campaign. No micromanagement needed.

Couple all that with enough bugs to make an Orkin man scream like a girl and you have GRAW

You must not have been around for the GR1 demo... it was WAY worst then GRAW. It took 2 years and a few expansions to fully fix GR1. Some bugs also never got fixed.

It could have been good but this clunky piece of junk will never and I mean NEVER be what GR1 was.

That was sum of all fears. Susposed to be a pumped up GR1 engine... it failed miserably. Something fresh was needed.... if you want pumpled up GR1 get farcry and play obsedian edge.

If you want something new play GRAW

I think that we are in a similiar position with GRAW that we were with GR1- the game itself has issues, but the mods (and mod-abiility) made it great...

... I mean really, for the past three years that I was playing GR1 constantly, I always played a mod, rarely just the game itself. It was alright but in comparison to the HX5 mod, or DA49, etc. , it paled in comparison.

So you miss the thud of a direct hit in GR1? Put it in a mod... no, you can't re-mod everything you don't like about the game, but as said before, if you are that unhappy, then this game isn't going to please you much at all.

To me there are three components- engine, base game, and mod-ability.

I like the new engine, but yes, the lack of AA is truely annoying. The base game is alright, but the save points, the lack of a connection to the original, and the inability to switch into your sqaudmates is a bit troublesome.

So for me the proof is in the modding... the third component. If it's true that this can be modded fairly well, then I think you will see at least a few naysayers coming back.

So for me the proof is in the modding... the third component. If it's true that this can be modded fairly well, then I think you will see at least a few naysayers coming back.

I tend to agree with that comment. I'll wait till the mods come out before binning this game.

Rich

I think most enjoyed the character switching bcz if they get killed, they can switch to another alive soldier. some did to get a sense where they need to go or look at the target objective.

But crosscom is used to change that, some just don't like change. I'm changing, I'm getting older, I don't like it. I have arthritis in my ankles, but I accept it and have to live with it.

It's your age Chris, that and the fact that you spent so many years running around with full kit and a bloody big gun. But I think I'm older than you :bounce:

First to introduce myself. My name is Djordje Djokanovic in Ghost Recon known as CrAzYSeRb!. I am playing GR 3 years since now, and consider myself as a good player :-)... Anyway.

I tried almost every FPS or similar games and found almost all of them just copy of each other.

When I first played GR I saw the game I have never played before I liked it from the very beginning.

Ghost Recon is the game similar to the 'real world' no jumps for like 5m, not to be on the other side of the map for just like 2 secs and so on... Playability of the game is excellent, a lot of tactics and strategy involved, especially in Team battles.

And after all, I was waiting for the continuation of the GR series and finally GR AW is out.

First thing I did not like was the gun moving all the time when I was pointing in some direction, I know that probably some of you will say that it is in 'real life' but I do NOT want real life battle I WANT THE GAME. It is bad thigh to simulate things like that in the game this IS GAME and they should keep it in that way. In Ghost Recon IT, DS ... gun was just like it should be in the game. What I am suppose to do to pray that I will actually hit the target when my gun always go up and down, left and right! This suppose to be a strategy and tactic GAME not a bad simulation. But to be 100% clear I LIKE 100% reality of the GR series but we suppose to keep it in the borders of the game, not to ruin the game with small stupid things, and reduce playability of the game a lot.

Second look at these minimum system requirements

256DDR Video card

1024 RAM or more

3 GHz CPU or more

MINIMUM!

OK, not vote who you have this machine at home!?

I can bet less then 20%!

So I personally will uninstall GR AW and will continue to play GR IT, DS, HX5...

Those mentioned gives me a fun, strategy, tactics and real enjoyment playing it...

Cheers,

Djordje

As much as I understand your post, what I dont understand is your reasons.

It would be good and helpfull if you explained what you dont like.

Together with what you do like.

Colin

Do NOT like

1. Reticule goes up and down, left and right can NOT shoot anyone, instead of not moving target in [GR]!

2. System requirements - My Comp

P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz

512 DDR RAM

ATI Radon 9600XT

can NOT play the game!

But where all that memory goes - do not see many improvements in graphic - to be precise do not see it at all!

Personally will not continue to play to see positive side becouse I do NOT like the core! It is the same when somebody gives you icecream with something you like the most, but before that you must eat something that will make you throw out - you will not eat icecream!

Ofcourse if they fix the thing with moving gun and made it like in [GR] I will give it a second shot. I hope that there is a lot of people who think like me, and that the game makers will hear this and improve game playability.

Cheers,

CrAzYSeRb

Edited by CrAzYSeRb

Do NOT like

1. Target goes up and down, left and right can NOT shoot anyone, instead of not moving target in [GR]!

2. System requirements - My Comp

P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz

512 DDR RAM

ATI Radon 9600XT

can NOT play the game!

But where all that memory goes - do not see many improvements in graphic - to be precise do not see it at all!

Personally will not continue to play to see positive side becouse I do NOT like the core! It is the same when somebody gives you icecream with something you like the most, but before that you must eat something that will make you throw out - you will not eat icecream!

Ofcourse if they fix the thing with moving gun and made it like in [GR] I will give it a second shot. I hope that there is a lot of people who think like me, and that the game makers will hear this and improve game playability.

Cheers,

CrAzYSeRb

I use to have a ATI9800XT and I can tell you that's part of your problem, my mate has a ATIX850 and it walked all over the ATi9800XT with GRAW ....sorry mate but it's a fact.....

My ATI9800XT was fine for stuff like CoD & MoH GR1 SOAF etc.........AS FAR AS THIS GAME GOES YOU NEED A nVidia 6 series or 7Series [AND NOT THE 6200] I mean 6600+ or a XTI X8 series or higher... also 512mb sys mem just get $30 or 20 quid and add the other 512 ....1GB !!! then the whole machine will thankyou.....

hard facts of life.....

hello CrazySerb!

Ofcourse you are entitled to your opinion and if you dislike GRAW, you dislike GRAW, not much we can do about it ,as we did our best(and still do, patch patch patch) to make the best possible game for as many players as possible, and it is impossible to please _everyone_.

You say that you for example dislike that the ret moves around in GRAW, where it was completley still in [GR], but you must understand that even if [GR] was and is the perfect game for _you_ , it is not for everyone, and that in the year 2006 people expect certain things from games. Like realistic weaponhandling for example. That it is a natural evolution.

(now 200 smartasses will say that "well, we also expect MP to be bugfree in a game 2006", but we ARE working on it:)

I hope that you continue playing graw, after the next patch and that you will come to love it(patch after patch after patch);not like you love [GR](cant beat that first love, can you?:) but for what it is. And what it WILL be.

We are doing this for you guys!( and the $$$ ofcourse, KA-TCHING!hehe)

cheers!

hello CrazySerb!

Ofcourse you are entitled to your opinion and if you dislike GRAW, you dislike GRAW, not much we can do about it ,as we did our best(and still do, patch patch patch) to make the best possible game for as many players as possible, and it is impossible to please _everyone_.

You say that you for example dislike that the ret moves around in GRAW, where it was completley still in [GR], but you must understand that even if [GR] was and is the perfect game for _you_ , it is not for everyone, and that in the year 2006 people expect certain things from games. Like realistic weaponhandling for example. That it is a natural evolution.

(now 200 smartasses will say that "well, we also expect MP to be bugfree in a game 2006", but we ARE working on it:)

I hope that you continue playing graw, after the next patch and that you will come to love it(patch after patch after patch);not like you love [GR](cant beat that first love, can you?:) but for what it is. And what it WILL be.

We are doing this for you guys!( and the $$$ ofcourse, KA-TCHING!hehe)

cheers!

You go GRin :)

:g_withgrin:

Dont Belieave the HATE just Belive the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

IM AM A FANBIOS LMAO

Ghost Recon is Dead

I think that is the smartest thing i have seen anyone post.

Yes Ghost Recon is dead. It was Great in it's time but it is time to move on. either except it or die with it. (the multiplayer aspect is dead... no ladders hardly any public servers with a peep on)

GRAW is dead.

Actually it is coming to life. Just sorting out the growing pains. It has tons of modder potential and if you don't like the ai, hook up on a co-op game and play the campaign. No micromanagement needed.

Couple all that with enough bugs to make an Orkin man scream like a girl and you have GRAW

You must not have been around for the GR1 demo... it was WAY worst then GRAW. It took 2 years and a few expansions to fully fix GR1. Some bugs also never got fixed.

It could have been good but this clunky piece of junk will never and I mean NEVER be what GR1 was.

That was sum of all fears. Susposed to be a pumped up GR1 engine... it failed miserably. Something fresh was needed.... if you want pumpled up GR1 get farcry and play obsedian edge.

If you want something new play GRAW

Co-op should be an option, not a requirement.

I can't beleive the whining about GRAW goes on and on...........seriously now, some of you don't like GRAW at all, that's cool but does it require four weeks of continual complaining?. I've never seen so many toys come out the pram..........How long do you need to get over it?...I mean please, I understand, I love GR and I think GRAW has got some changes to make............... but this is getting really :yawn:

Just a side note on negatvive yawn posting.

IT ACHIEVES ABSOLUTLY ZERO FROM THE DEVS AND FROM THE STAFF

MOST OF US NOW JUST READ THE AUTHORS NAME AND GO PAST TO THE NEXT.

I have got to the stage now where I read a new topic say, 5 years and this is all we get, I dont even bother looking at it.

Because it will be filled up with the same old crap from the same people.

If you the membership want to be read and understood then act like adults and post constructively, even if you hate the game.

Well, the forum isn't only for constructive critisism to improve the game so say what you think and feel. It's ok not to like it, we know we can't please everyone. We are still reading and will probably not miss anything that is constructive not matter if its said negatively or poisitively, but the rest is just ignored. We might not post much right now as we wait for the forums to cool down a bit and the hardcore complainers to get bored and find better things to do. In the meantime we do better things ourselves... like patching ;) .

Just try to remember that just because of the hardcore GR1 fanbase wants something there is a lot of other nonhardcore GR1 gamers and hopefully some to-be-hardcore GRAW gamers that might expect other things in the game. It is two different games, else ther would be no point in making a sequel. And GR1 is still there for the hardcore people, if you like it we wont stop you from playing it.

But yes, it would be much easier to read the forums and finding those constructive thoughs if we wouldn't have to read past 50 post from each user saying the same thing over and over again. It's your decision, suit yourselves :)

Sorry Colin... Missed the post but i caught your name...

Hey Grin you want a suggestion for a new game based on an old one... There used to be a text game called Baron Realms Elite. It was the sickest game i have ever played. I think i spent most of early 20's playing that game. I have seen in still on the odd BBS. I have been waiting for 15 years for someone to remake the game....

Good Point, well made Bambi.

What is a "Hardcore" GR player anyway.

If you're that "Hardcore" go and join the army. They ARE hardcore. You should find them in your local phone book under Army.

Sorry Colin... Missed the post but i caught your name...

Hey Grin you want a suggestion for a new game based on an old one... There used to be a text game called Baron Realms Elite. It was the sickest game i have ever played. I think i spent most of early 20's playing that game. I have seen in still on the odd BBS. I have been waiting for 15 years for someone to remake the game....

thank you for your constructive suggestion. Ill write it down on my invisible typewriter... :)

hehe sorry, I couldnt resist!