FPS and RESOLUTION

FPS & RESOLUTION  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 + 1280x 1024 runs smooth as silk

AMD X2 dual core 4800

OCZ Mathed pair memory 2048

Lan party Board RDX 200 series crossfire edition

550 watt psu

P180 Antec silent case

Radeon X1900 Series card

4mg broadband connection

wife dont moan if i play

life cant get any better

in dxdiag it says my max res is 1600x1200 how do i enable this ?

640 * 480 ~ 20-30 fps

800 * 600 ~ 20-30 fps

1024 * 768 ~ 20-30 fps

1280 * 1024 ~ 20-30 fps

GF 7800 GS 256M

So in other words, screen resolution has no impact on my frame rate.

I'll post the rest of my system specs, so others know what to watch out for :wall:

Mobo: Octek

Chipset: Intel 865PE

CPU: P4 3G HT

Mem: 2G DDR 400 Dual Channel (4*512)

GPU: GF 7800 GS 256M

Sound: On board Intel ICH5 AC97 ALC650

the game runs choppy as :whistle:

1280x1024 21-34 fPS Average 25 fps

P4 3.0GHZ HT

X850XT

1gb ram

i wish this game played like counter strike: source or day of defeat: source in thos games i get 45-58fps sometimes 65fps i love the source engine :thumbsup::D

Edited by KAJGamer

So I'm looking for a piece of advice from those of you who are more knowledgeable of computer hardware.

See the specs below for my system? It's almost pathetically slow at running GRAW. See the BFG Ageia physX card? I've still got three weeks to return it to BestBuy for a credit against another purchase, and that is EXACTLY what I intend to do this week or weekend. Cool piece of hardware, and I like what it does, but the system isn't ready for it just yet. So...

What would my return credit be better spent against- upgrade the CPU or upgrade the GPU? I've got a clanmate willing to part with a year-old XFX GeForce 7800 GTX, and I know new ones go for around $430. I could bear to drop the other $200 difference out of pocket, and I know the local BestBuy has 7800 GT or GTX (can't remember which) in stock. It WOULD be an easy question if I could find a second BFG GeForce 6800 GT to flip the SLI switch with, but that card's been discontinued from what I'm told. (Don't trust Computer Renaissance in Killeen, TX, USA) On the other hand, while I'm no genius with the magic behind AMD Athlon processors, I know what DX tells me the processor is running at- ~2.02 GHz. That would be exactly 0.02 GHz above the minimum spec for this game. But System Requirements Lab showed that processor breaking the sound barrier of the RECOMMENDED specs, enforcing the notion that the 3200 means it virtually runs 3.2 GHz. I'm about confused with that one.

I want to keep a 64-bit capable processor, and I want to keep the nVidia name in my PCIe slots. Let's say there's a $250 cap atop the return credit value of this physX card (roughly $255). What's my best bet to make GRAW run faster and more smoothly, perhaps even at better resolution (800x600/60 and a little slow at the moment)?

Any constructive or comical input is always appreciated, and any recommendations from GRiN_HELPMEPLEASE would kick butt. THANKS FOLKS!

Rabbi, let me add some of my perspective on your post. It's hard for game publishers to quote an exact Mhz for cpus because of the different types out there: Intel P4s, Athlon XPs and Athlon 64s.

I'm guessing that the min cpu spec for GRAW would be a 2.0Ghz Athlon XP. I would think that a 2.0Ghz P4 would not be considered sufficient for GRAW. And it's obvious they wouldn't be referring to an Athlon 64.

Your cpu might hinder you a little in GRAW but it will be no comparison to how a weak video card will hurt you in GRAW. And I just did something that really drove this point home for me.

I upgraded from a Athlon XP platform to an Athlon 64 platform. All components were the same except for the mainboard and CPU. I went from an overclocked mobile XP 2600+ to a Venice 3500+ (stock 2.2Ghz). I'm using an Nvidia 6800GT, btw.

I cranked up 3DMark05 and guess what? I got almost the exact same score on both platforms! I haven't tried GRAW on the A64 but I know that the result will be the same. It's obvious that for today's games, the video card is the severe bottleneck.

What's amazing is that Memtest86 is showing me memory speeds that are insanely fast compared to my Athlon XP rig. But it's all for naught.

I would suggest that for anyone trying to achieve good performance in today's and some of tomorrow's games to weight your video card purchase very heavily.

BTW, I then overclocked the Athlon 64 by 460Mhz and brought my RAM's command rate down to 1T and my 3DMark05 score went from 4700 to 5000. Meh.

And about the chart above, it seems that 2/3 of GRAW forum peeps are playing GRAW at what I consider unacceptable frame rates - myself included.

Thanks for coming up with that intelligent response so quickly!

As for the CPU requirement, it was quoted as minimum Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or equivalent, recommended 2.8 GHz. What I don't get is the relationship of that 3200 unmber on the chip to the Pentium. I've been TOLD, though I don't trust it anymore (again, Computer REnaissance), that it would be roughly equivalent to a P4 3.2 GHz processor, even though the system says it's only operating at ~2GHz. What's with that? It DOES sound somewhat right, since SRL's utility showed it exceeding the recommended spec of 2.8GHz or better.

But I think I'll take your advice and go for a video card first. SO, next computer n00Blet question is:

Would I be better off to get a new FASTER/BETTER card or to add a second of my current card via SLI? I HAVE found a couple of them on eBay, and am about to register my first eBay account tonight. Do I buy my pal's 7800 GTX or double the number of 6800 GT's on board right now? Which would serve me better for GRAW?

Oh, and since I'm so out of the loop on computer technology, what's with this 64-bit Windows XP stuff? Is it worth $120?

FPS 36-48

Card GEForce 7800 GS AGP

Resolution 1280x1024

CPU: Dell Dimension 8300

Intel Pentium 2.8

Memory 1.5 Gig

Win XP Home Edition

No tweaks and no problems at all (game runs with virus checker and a bunch of other services in the background without any probs)

it was quoted as minimum Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or equivalent
Oh, I didn't realize they were referring to a P4 with that. What Renaissance told you about comparing Intel to AMD chips is basically correct but there's a strategy that will completely eliminate all your confusion regarding this:

Simply use AMD as they blow Intel out of the water for gaming. That could change with Conroe but that's not really relevant to the vast majority of gamers who can barely afford a video card that can play GRAW let alone buy bleeding-edge hardware.

Whether you go SLI with another 6800GT or solo with a 7800GTX may depend on your budget. But to be perfectly honest, I would jump ALL OVER that 7800GTX - especially if you can get it from your friend at a good price. That card is awesome - plus you never have to deal with any SLI hassles.

Regarding your question about 64-bit Windows, I don't where you're coming from on that. I don't really consider it a working product from a gaming perspective. It simply creates too many incompatibilites for a gamer to take seriously - unless you're a very tech-oriented person and have alot of extra time on your hands. One poster here said it gave him a significant performance increase but If you simply want to boot your PC and have your games work from the get-go, don't bother with it. I'd say if it was free, load it up on another hard drive or computer and play with it there.

it was quoted as minimum Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or equivalent
Oh, I didn't realize they were referring to a P4 with that. What Renaissance told you about comparing Intel to AMD chips is basically correct but there's a strategy that will completely eliminate all your confusion regarding this:

Simply use AMD as they blow Intel out of the water for gaming. That could change with Conroe but that's not really relevant to the vast majority of gamers who can barely afford a video card that can play GRAW let alone buy bleeding-edge hardware.

Whether you go SLI with another 6800GT or solo with a 7800GTX may depend on your budget. But to be perfectly honest, I would jump ALL OVER that 7800GTX - especially if you can get it from your friend at a good price. That card is awesome - plus you never have to deal with any SLI hassles.

Regarding your question about 64-bit Windows, I don't where you're coming from on that. I don't really consider it a working product from a gaming perspective. It simply creates too many incompatibilites for a gamer to take seriously - unless you're a very tech-oriented person and have alot of extra time on your hands. One poster here said it gave him a significant performance increase but If you simply want to boot your PC and have your games work from the get-go, don't bother with it. I'd say if it was free, load it up on another hard drive or computer and play with it there.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

As it stands, I have bids on a couple of 6800 GT's on ebay right now. Also an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200. I'll agree with the AMD for gaming, especially since I'm not in the mood for ANOTHER new motherboard right now. LOL, maybe I'll take all my old parts and throw-together a second rig for all the other stuff outside of gaming.

Or just sell it all on ebay to offset the price I'm about to pay. Who knows? BOTTOM LINE, I simply MUST upgrade, not just for GRAW but also for everything else due out in the next couple years. I hope somaday we'll all look back on this trying time in the evolution of PC gaming and laugh. Though our wallets may cry...

**edited processor model name from 4600 to 4200... oops**

Edited by RAbbi_74

I have a friend running SLI 6800GT's and we get about the same fps in game, and Im running a 7900GT, I might be just a tad higer in average fps, but not much. I think you would be better off with the 7800GTX personally. Like chiles4 said you wont have to deal with SLI hassels. if you can get an AMD PCU to go along with it, even better. Good luck man.

Edited by Judge_Recluse

I have a friend running SLI 6800GT's and we get about the same fps in game, and Im running a 7900GT, I might be just a tad higer in average fps, but not much. I think you would be better off with the 7800GTX personally. Like chiles4 said you wont have to deal with SLI hassels. if you can get an AMD PCU to go along with it, even better. Good luck man.

What kind of hassels are we talking here with SLI?

And you KNOW that 7800GTX is worth more than I can pay for a single video card, Rubleman. But I'm still thinking on it, especially if the SLI thing goes south. (6800GT's are CHEAP on ebay...)

Edited by RAbbi_74

It's ironic for me anyways to worry much about getting top-of-the-line hardware to play the current games.

I say that because I can't even find any new games that I want to play!

Lockdown...disaster

GRAW....nice but not finished

BF2......I really can't say enough but how unappealing this game is to me

So, aside from GRAW, I haven't found an MP game I've REALLY liked since Raven Shield and VietCong in 2003.

Right now I'm playing more MP co-op Ghost Recon (original) than anything else and 100fps at max detail in Ghost Recon is more than enough. :rofl:

But having a good video card does help with some of the single-player games like Chaos Theory and Chronicles or Riddick.

Love all the Splinter Cell games. Even if their MP sucked HARD. The slow, methodical, stealthy approach to things as trivial as taking a leak was just GREAT! Having the tools to do it was even better!

But GR PWNS that other stuff, right GRiN?! :grin1:

:g_withgrin: