Xbox Clancy Games On Xbox 360 With VGA Video?

Waika

This seemed like the best place to ask as most here will have an Xbox 360, and like Clancy games... Apparently these original Xbox games can be run on the Xbox 360 under emulation:

· Ghost Recon

· Ghost Recon™ 2

· Ghost Recon® 2 Summit Strike

· Rainbow Six® 3

· Rainbow Six® 3 Black Arrow™

... but there are compatability issues and some games are in fact not playable if you're using the 'Xbox 360 VGA HDAV Cable' to play on an LCD display for example.

I'm wondering if any Xbox 360 owners here have any of these Clancy Xbox games and also uses an 'VGA HDAV Cable' computer monitor to play? Can these older Clancy Xbox games be run under emulation on the Xbox 360 at native LCD resolutions like 1280x1024 and work ok?

:blink:

Quick answer... N0.

I have tried all the GRs with the cable and none of them work, I think this is because the games were made for 'usual tvs' and they do not display at 1280 etc.

I play GRAW on my 15" screen (yeah I now it's small!) but have to unplug, and re-plug my TV to play anything else.

Kia.

Quick answer... N0.

I have tried all the GRs with the cable and none of them work, I think this is because the games were made for 'usual tvs' and they do not display at 1280 etc.

I play GRAW on my 15" screen (yeah I now it's small!) but have to unplug, and re-plug my TV to play anything else.

Kia.

Funny... worked perfectly fine for me when I played it a month ago, and 5 minutes ago.

I played Ghost Recon a while back on the 360, and GR2 SS just a few minutes ago.

Both worked perfectly fine at 1280x1024.

That's all that I can comment on though, I don't have the other ones.

Well I'm not sure how others have done it but I sure as hell can't get it going!

Got two monitors 17" (1280x1024) and a 15" (1280x768) and on both I CAN get GRAW running fine but GR2 and GR2:SS does not work on any of them.

I have even chaged the resolution for both monitors all the way down to 640x480 within the dash and they still don't work.

I guess (I kind of know) that the older games do not work with the HD VGA cables (it is also stated within the dash when you try to load/launch a game)

So if it does work please tell us how you (whoever) has got this working.

Cheers,

Kia.

Also I'm having another problem...

When I try to load GR2:SS it askes me to update the 360, when I do that and it tries to load again, it says the same thing! So it keeps updating and going round and round so I gave up and play GR2 (or any of the older games) on he original Xbox.

Try downloading and burning the backwards compatibility update manually from the Microsoft website.

I never had a problem getting it to work from the first backwards compatible update.

(Got my 360 in January)

When it goes to load, you see the Ghost Recon 2 Summit Strike logo sit there for a little less then a minute, then it loads just fine.

Tried different resolutions, didn't seem to change the time to get into the game.

But none the less it worked just fine for me with no tricks needed.

BTW, you use PAL correct?

Might be a conflict with PAL or something, not sure how that would work over the 360 using a VGA cable.

NTSC should work for sure.

If I am wrong about you using PAL, my mistake.

Edited by SillyHalfMexican

Hey guys, tha,ks so much for posting! Killer Boo, I have read that some non U.S. versions of Xbox games will not work properly with VGA on the 360 when emulated -- maybe that's the source of the issue for you?

SillyHalfMexican, your post just got me to go out and buy an Xbox 360, so if it doesn't work Killer Boo and I are gonna...

:)

Got two monitors 17" (1280x1024) and a 15" (1280x768) and on both I CAN get GRAW running fine but GR2 and GR2:SS does not work on any of them.

I have been considering getting the VGA cable for my 360 to hook it up to my 19" computer monitor. Main thing I want to know from you guys here is what do you do for sound??

There are the right and left RCA connectors - do you hook them up directly to speakers or a stereo system. If they are hooked directly to speakers, how do you control the volume?

I have been considering getting the VGA cable for my 360 to hook it up to my 19" computer monitor. Main thing I want to know from you guys here is what do you do for sound??

There are the right and left RCA connectors - do you hook them up directly to speakers or a stereo system. If they are hooked directly to speakers, how do you control the volume?

Yes you are right, there is a 'left' and 'right' cable for sound, I have some powered monitors (Studio speak for speakers with amps built in) and they have volume controls within, but you can easly connect them to HIFIs or amps easy.

I have a recording studio in the loft so gonna connect them to my setup and get some nice 5.1 sound going via the optical out :P

Kia.

Hey guys, tha,ks so much for posting! Killer Boo, I have read that some non U.S. versions of Xbox games will not work properly with VGA on the 360 when emulated -- maybe that's the source of the issue for you?

SillyHalfMexican, your post just got me to go out and buy an Xbox 360, so if it doesn't work Killer Boo and I are gonna...

:)

That could explain it quite a bit, shame this don't work but it don't matter for me because I still have my Xbox but for those who don't this SUX!

Kia.

Edited by Killer Boo

The way I have it hooked up is through my SyncMaster 915N (19" @ 1280x1024).

I am using a KVM switch.

A pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones.

And a Creative XtremeMusic X-Fi.

Of course the VGA cable for the 360 which includes an adapter to hook it up to a KVM switch and an RCA adapter to turn the White & Red cables into a headphone jack.

I just put the headphone jack adapter into my Line-In on my soundcard and control the volume from my computer.

So all I do is just hit Scroll Lock twice to switch back and forth from my computer and XBox 360.

So when I need to change the volume, I just switch back and change the volume from my keyboard (would be nice if I could do that without switching back and forth). But thats when using a pair of headphones without an external amp.

As killerboo is doing, he's using an external amp with a speaker setup so that's a lot more convenient for him.

But it's a nice and affordable way of getting HD.

I also use the computer all day anyways, so setting up the 360 isn't any inconvenience for me.

But yeah, have fun with your 360 and VGA cable :)

You'll enjoy atleast getting a nice taste of HD as opposed to a 30" SDTV (or whatever size TV you have) with no HD.

The difference is quite noticeable.

Thanks for the answers Killer Boo and SillyHalfMexican :thumbsup:

The way I have it hooked up is through my SyncMaster 915N (19" @ 1280x1024).

My next question is about what resolution do you play games on your computer monitor with the 360? If you are playing on a 19" LCD at 720p, do you get the black lines at the top and bottom, or do you set it at 4:3 and get interpolation?

I currently have my 360 hooked up to an old CRT TV which I used my Xbox 1 with. I am thinking that for playing at 720p, I could just play at 1024x768 res at 4:3 aspect ratio on my CRT monitor to make maximum use of the screen real estate?

Well I just bought the 360 VGA adapter and a RCA to computer speaker jack adapter today.

I decided to continue to use my 19" CRT for my computer (for GRAW PC hehe), and use my older 17" ViewSonic G75f for the 360. I found an old pair of quality Yamaha 2.0 desktop speakers with built-in dial for volume control.

Much to my suprise, when I opened up the 360 VGA adapter package it already came bundled with two adapters: a right and left RCA to computer speaker jack adapter + a VGA/VGA adapter. Good thing it did too as my old monitor is the type with the VGA cable permanently attached to the monitor. Also needed to use a female/female headphone jack adapter to hook up the RCA adapter to the computer speakers.

The set up was a snap and the VGA adapter and sound worked on the first try! All I had to do was go to the Display setup menu and set it to 1024x768 "normal" (4:3) mode and GRAW 360 looks 10x better than on the TV. It's like playing a computer game, and the framerate looks silky smooth. The other cool thing is that although my display is set at 4:3, the game is in "widescreen" mode (top and bottom of screen are black) so you still get the widescreen effect.

Definitely recommend the VGA adapter.

Here's a tip if you are on a budget: the official M$ 360 adapter is Cdn$50, while MadCatz sells a 360 VGA adapter for $25.

To answer the original question, I will test GR2 and GR2:SS once I get my Xbox Live hooked up ...

I have just tried this...

VGA cable

Xbox 360

Ghost Recon 2 : SS

15" VGA Screen

and all the setting for various resolutions

And it dos not work... if I'm wrong (and I hope I am) please let me know, because I would love to play GR2:SS on this screen.

Thanks,

Kia.

I prefer the widescreen look. Even though my computer monitor is not widescreen I run the XBOX 360 to it at 1280x720 (720p) adjusting the vertical height of my monitor so that the viewable area is the proper 16:9 aspect ratio. It's just like having a widescreen monitor at that point. All available lines of resolution are being used for the 16:9 image area, versus running a 4:3 resolution with wasted resolution in the black bars above and below. For sound I'm running an optical cable to my home theater system. I don't have any regular XBOX games or I'd comment on compatibility with the 360 and VGA adapter.

Edited by Low Profile

So if it does work please tell us how you (whoever) has got this working.

Also I'm having another problem...

When I try to load GR2:SS it askes me to update the 360, when I do that and it tries to load again, it says the same thing! So it keeps updating and going round and round so I gave up and play GR2 (or any of the older games) on he original Xbox.

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you all on this, but I can report I have had success running GR2/SS with the VGA cable.

This is my setup:

- Xbox 360 with official M$ brand VGA adapter

- 17" ViewSonic G75f set at 1024x768 "Normal" (4:3)

This is what I did:

- I got a "free" 12 mo subscription to Xbox Live Gold (in retail box) when I bought GRAW 360 (it was a special Best Buy promotion) so I expected to use that when I finally plugged in my 360 to my home network. Lo and behold M$ was giving a 1 mo free trial of Xbox Gold so I signed up for that first.

- Downloaded a few demos from Xbox Marketplace and they worked fine

- First Xbox 1 game I tried was Halo 2 as I figured it would work for sure given that is M$'s flagship title. After inserting the disc, I got a notice that "this game needs an update to run" and I clicked OK, and it took less than a minute to download what I assumed was the backward compatibility update. Interesting thing is that this update must work for all Xbox 1 games, as I never got that screen again after changing to GR2/SS

- BTW, Halo 2 looks AWESOME on the 360.

- When I inserted both the GR2 and GR2SS discs, I got an "Xbox" logo, then I got the GR2/SS logo splash screen and had to wait over a minute or so while the 360 was making whirring noises obviously applying something behind the scenes. Then the intro movies came up and wouldn't allow me to bypass them the first time. Then I was able to enter a profile and play the first level in SP for both games. Once again, GR2/SS looks awesome on the 360, and it's probably the closest we'll ever see to what the PC version of GR2 would have been like ...

So not sure if that helps Killer Boo much. I fortunately had a pretty seamless experience plugging in those old Xbox games.

Only thing I'd suggest is that if you haven't tried putting in Halo 1 or 2 into the 360, maybe try to see if that works for you.

Thanks for posting,

The problem is that I no longer have another xbox game (I lost them :( - Long story!) but I do have GR2 and GR2SS but I still can not get it to work, I got a feeling, from an earlier poster, that it may have to do with me playing on a PAL system, because all the people from the US has NTSC so this might be the deciding factor....

I have updated my Xbox via the download and burning on CD thing thats on the Xbox Website so have no problem then anymore, it's just the running of the games/applications from the original Xbox (Xbox 1) on the Xbox 360

Again I hope I'm wrong,

Kia.

• 2 weeks later...

hey when you guys load up xbox 1 games on the 360 and play online are you only playing other 360 owners emulating the xbox 1 games on the 360 or are you connected also to all players with xbox and xbox 360?

confused? :wacko:

how about this if I load up GR2 on a 360 and a buddy has GR2 on his regular xbox....can we both play each other online via xbox live?

hey when you guys load up xbox 1 games on the 360 and play online are you only playing other 360 owners emulating the xbox 1 games on the 360 or are you connected also to all players with xbox and xbox 360?

confused? :wacko:

how about this if I load up GR2 on a 360 and a buddy has GR2 on his regular xbox....can we both play each other online via xbox live?

ok I answered my own question today when I went out and got a 360...and logged into xbox live. You can play with regular xbox users.

I was able to run GR2 SS and download all the bonus content and connect to xbox live against other players. Also, as someone already said GR2 looks MUCH better in HD.

for you guys that have the VGA hookup to a monitor...is there a way to setup 5.1 surround sound as well since it only has 2 rca outs?

Edited by bigworm

Although some games will work (via Hard drive emulation) on a 360 not all will work via VGA displays. You also get other werid ###### like HALO2 Classic editon WONT work on a 360 yet HALO2 original and the HALO boxset (halo, halo2 and halo2 map pack) will work.

I've had GR SS working on my 360 on the week of release, but that was going thru a regular CRT TV, since them im HD and ive since sold on GR SS so i cant test it for you. ack!