Taking a Hit: a more noticable effect... Who can do this?

There's already a thread about this on the General Forum but I think modders need to know about this one...

It's about the lack of effects after a direct hit. At the moment there's just the HUD-distortions (blue lines) and an orange coloring of the screen and just a muffled sound of your character being hit.

I've been trying to mod this but still didn't succeed. I would be happy if I just could make it so my aim gets lost (sorry for my English). If that's not possible, maybe a sort of blackout effect (which lasts for a couple of seconds) would be a nice alternative.

I tried changing parameters in the camera_effects.xml but that doesn't seem to help... Anyone willing to look at this?

Edited by PeeWee678

Listen up (It's a start): I found out how to make the screen go flashing bright red (instead of faint orange).

<posteffect name="blood_hit" modifier="override">

<sepia_r x="1.000" y="1.000" z="1.000"/>

<sepia_g x="0.000" y="0.000" z="0.500"/>

<sepia_b x="0.000" y="0.000" z="0.200"/>

</posteffect>
You can find this at the top of the posteffects.xml file A more deep red effect (better I think) would be:
<posteffect name="blood_hit" modifier="override">

<sepia_r x="0.500" y="0.500" z="0.500"/>

<sepia_g x="0.000" y="0.000" z="0.500"/>

<sepia_b x="0.000" y="0.000" z="0.200"/>

</posteffect>

Works great. Now at least you instantly know you've been hit and you're really in the line of fire...

I'm afraid the rest is coded in a script called humandamage.dxe but I'll continue to look for a solution (I really would like my aim to get disrupted)

Edited by PeeWee678

I have in my travels through the files found some settings that might have an impact on this (no pun intended). Problem is, I've thus far been too lazy to catalog anything so I'll have to rely on my memory to find them again. Will see if I can find the entries that are floating about in my head at the moment and post again later.

I also managed now to boost the soundeffects of bulletimpacts and Mitchel's "groaning" when he's hit.

Thanks to Nemon who wrote a great little soundextractor: http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...pic=34412&st=30

Very cool. The settings I was thinking of are in the camera_effects.xml file in the data\settings folder. It has 'camera shake' settings for bullet hits, explosions, weapon firing, etc, but as yet I haven't been able to get any of the numbers to change anything drastic. Still bumbling about with them...

Hi Ted,

Maybe you can help me out on this: I also changed A LOT as shakings are concerned but suddenly I realised: this file is not even used. I removed it (including the compiled file) and everything's fine.

Netx thing I thought: the line in context.xml that says what things must be recompiled... I fill in effects="true" but still everything works without the files... I have a feeling that were very close though...

[EDIT: coming to think of it, it's the settings folder so maybe it has to be settings="true"?, trying this now]

No luck, the strange thing is that this "camera_effects.xml" file is being referred to from within "context.xml" file (hope you understand my English...). So you would expect this "camera_effects.xml" would be an important file. Why does the game run without this file??? Don't get it yet...

Edited by PeeWee678

I understand what you mean and found the same thing myself. I have yet to see any effect that this file has or any way to enable it. Maybe it's something that was being worked on that got scrapped before release, who knows.

Looking into some of the hud stuff to see if I can at least get some more static when you get hit to disrupt your view as opposed to jarring it physically.

Maybe it's something that was being worked on that got scrapped before release, who knows.

Yeah, maybe they decided to hardcode it in a script, then we'll have to wait for ths SDK... Don't give up Ted :thumbsup: (I already did :whistle: well, almost...)

What is Ret Knock? Something like reticule knock? Sorry, I'm not English, is this slang or something :rolleyes:

Maybe it's something that was being worked on that got scrapped before release, who knows.

Yeah, maybe they decided to hardcode it in a script, then we'll have to wait for ths SDK... Don't give up Ted :thumbsup: (I already did :whistle: well, almost...)

What is Ret Knock? Something like reticule knock? Sorry, I'm not English, is this slang or something :rolleyes:

Heh. I haven't given up, I just have a short attention span so I drift off onto different projects as the wind takes me. I distracted myself with trying to get rid of the blue friendly diamonds on the hud.

Ret Knock is just what most gamers call what you're looking to do. It's the act of jarring the reticles and/or viewport when a player is shot, throwing their aim off. (And just to ensure clarity: Reticles or rets are the cross-hairs in the center of the screen that widen and shrink as you move about to illustrate your accuracy penalty while moving)

On this matter I'm tryin to figure out how to enable what seems to be a "blood drops over hud when hit" effect.. (proofs both in xml and textures)

It should be similar to the mud-dirt effect when fast proning..

gore is already there..maybe :o=

That's something I also thought off. I already tried findig the dirttexture to find out where and how this texture is called so I could learn more about how to call the bloodsmears and -spots but I couldn't find it so I looked at some other files (e.d. composition_manager) and concentrated on the shaking but no luck so far....

Edited by PeeWee678

stay away from my turf!:)

the composition xml is mah little baby!

the compositions are indeed triggerable events of sorts.

the helpsection of the file is quite explanatory but if you need more specific help, feel free to ask.

when you get the map editor, it will be more clear how to use them(and they are alot of fun)!

well, you could just make changes in it now and see how that changes the SP campaign.. there are a few "mission specific" compositions in there that shouldnt be too hard to figure out what they do in the game.

stay away from my turf!:)

the composition xml is mah little baby!

the compositions are indeed triggerable events of sorts.

the helpsection of the file is quite explanatory but if you need more specific help, feel free to ask.

when you get the map editor, it will be more clear how to use them(and they are alot of fun)!

well, you could just make changes in it now and see how that changes the SP campaign.. there are a few "mission specific" compositions in there that shouldnt be too hard to figure out what they do in the game.

First I want to say: :g_withgrin::thumbsup: Thanks for the info.

Anyway: I managed to find and change the dirteffect on my goggles when sliding to prone. Now the dirt on my HUD very slowly fades away and it takes minutes (I like that gritty effect!). It should be easy to replace the dirttexture with a blackoutefect (well, actually a simple texture) of some sort but I'm still finding a way to trigger that dirt-effect when hit by a bullet. I found the blood_hit and bullet_hits but I still don't know how to do this...

If Grin_Wille could help us out on that, that would be great!

Edited by PeeWee678

@Grin-Wille: Yeah, I was afraid of that but thanks for your reply anyway.

@TC: Yes, I would not be surprised if the bloodsplats and stuff are remainders of the XBOX (not sure).

I had'nt got the time to post the "dirt-on-HUD-for more than a few seconds"-modification I did yesterday (don't know if anybody is interested?) but I'll continue my search for a way to create a blackout effect when hit. Won't be easy I'm afraid :wall:

If the AI get knocked over sometimes when hit, would there be any way to make this happen for the player using this XML stuff?

In my opinion that would be the nicest thing to have (although it could be just to much because the chances are you'll never get up, because it takes to much time). Anyway: this is probably even much harder to do then what I'm aiming at now (blackout texture or better: a more pronounced shaking effect).

There is a shakingeffect going on but I think it's just the menushaker. I just found out that I can alter explosionshaker nut still no luck with the bullethitshake...

@TC: I almost forgot about that. Can't wait for that one!

I had'nt got the time to post the "dirt-on-HUD-for more than a few seconds"-modification I did yesterday (don't know if anybody is interested?) but I'll continue my search for a way to create a blackout effect when hit. Won't be easy I'm afraid :wall:

Yes, Im interested.

In my opinion that would be the nicest thing to have (although it could be just to much because the chances are you'll never get up, because it takes to much time).
Yeah, it would no doubt lead to some frustration when you are taking fire and have to waste valuable seconds picking yourself up off the floor, but if there is also some way to determine the frequency and probability of being knocked down, then it could be a rare thing that you have to deal with.

I also suggested elsewhere that another option is to only get knocked over when you get hit while running, but I am guessing this would be even harder to accomplish than the former method.

Yes, Im interested.

OK, here it is: serach for the file e_hud.xml in the effects folder. At the end you'll find a block of code for the "hud_sand_splat_a". What follows is the already changed code. I changed "test_distance" to 70 although I have absoluteley no idea if that was necessary...

The most important variable however is: "time" (now set to 180 seconds). I also added more lines to the piece of code for the transition to a clean HUD. That's the stuff between the "opacity_controller" tags. There were only 2 or 3 lines in there but I added more for a smoother transition. The rest of the code is untouched.

<effect name="hud_sand_splat_a" test_plane_width="0" test_plane_height="0" test_nr_instances="1" test_spawn_offset="0" test_spawn_rate_hz="0" test_unit="" test_effect_surface="" test_distance="70.0" test_normal_Y="0.0" test_normal_X="0.0" test_normal_Z="1.0" >

<particle_effect num_particles="6" time="180" align="normal" normal_align="world" gravity_align="world" >

<visualizer type="halo" >

<assign_particle range="0 5" />

<data image="hud_sand_splat_a" blend="normal" billboard_type="screen_aligned" size="0 0" size_min="0.1 0.1" size_max="0.75 0.75" rotation_speed_min="-50" rotation_speed_max="50" origo="0.55 0.5" />

<rotation_speed_controller >

<key t="0.0" v="1"/>

<key t="1e-006" v="0"/>

</rotation_speed_controller>

<opacity_controller >

<key t="0" v="220"/>

<key t="0.100782" v="180"/>

<key t="0.214867" v="150"/>

<key t="0.344867" v="120"/>

<key t="0.4714867" v="90"/>

<key t="0.5914867" v="60"/>

<key t="0.73514867" v="40"/>

<key t="0.8514867" v="20"/>

<key t="1" v="0"/>

</opacity_controller>

<uv_randomizer frame_start="0 0" frame_size="0.5 0.5" num_frames="40" />

</visualizer>

<particle range="0 0" start="0.000000" end="1.000000" normal="0.000 0.000 0.000" />

<particle range="1 1" start="0.005000" end="1.000000" position="0 0 0.3" normal="0.000 0.000 0.000" />

<particle range="2 2" start="0.001000" end="1.000000" position="0 0.6 0" normal="0.000 0.000 0.000" />

<particle range="3 3" start="0.001000" end="1.000000" position="0.3 0 0" normal="0.000 0.000 0.000" />

<particle range="4 4" start="0.001000" end="1.000000" position="-0.3 0 0" normal="0.000 0.000 0.000" />

<particle range="5 5" start="0.001000" end="1.000000" position="-0.6 0 0" normal="0.000 0.000 0.000" />

</particle_effect>

</effect>

</effects>