About the Next Patch

just curious if there is any possibility of the next patch will be able to lower the min system spec a little more so it can run more smoothly on the lower end systems?

I understand what you're asking here, but this is most likely not going to happen. It would be kind of backwards. UBI and GRIN have already counted out lower end systems from their target audience.

However what should happen in the next Patch (or the Patches to come), GRIN may implement some serious and much needed optimization of the engine/code. That would help everyone run smoother in general.

silent_op

Yeah, I could see some optomizations maybe. Any computer that can play it now may well be able to play it better after the patch (though on the other hand maybe not), and I guess that means that some computers right on the 'cant play it' side of the line might then be able to play.

But theres no way theyre going to eliminate the need for shader support, or anything that drastic.

If they alter the graphics settings, that would be awsome. Since i kinda hate it that changing specs in game on a high end system bearly makes a differnce in FPS.

I would LOVE to see in the june patch:

- a mission editor

- coop supporting: FF etc etc etc.

- direct IP connect for hosting !!!

- timeplay functions, number of enemies, map select ,respawn etc etc for COOP

Thx Grin

-M-

We wanna keep graw alive for the next 5 years as we did with gr, but please provide us with decent stuff for serving,hosting,and coop play so we canhost tournemants again and cups, script missions, make it diverse..................

i am not an expert but think that it can be done

all in game textures could be resized half size and then the load times and graphics data that needs to be calculated would be less demanding

giving the cpu and gpu more space to breath,

but i do not know if that would salve any thing or even if it is posible

but the DXT5 images/textures can each like wallpaper my room now

they are huge (that is or might be progression and advancement in gaming though)

That barely even makes sense. Why would a patch involve signifigantly reworking the game's engine so it works for people already written off by the publisher?

Agreed. The last minute change not to support any GF FX graphics cards is proof enough. :ph34r:

i never said rework the engine, i said to help the lower end systems run GRAW.

the lower end systems that can run it, it doesnt run smooth.

the mouse lag, etc. why cant a patch be made to optimized the game to allow a pc with 1 gig ram gfx 6200 and a 2.1 ghz cpu to run it smoothly

with descent fps rate?

i really think this game isnt as big as the original one was cause not many people can play it.

i never said rework the engine, i said to help the lower end systems run GRAW.

the lower end systems that can run it, it doesnt run smooth.

the mouse lag, etc. why cant a patch be made to optimized the game to allow a pc with 1 gig ram gfx 6200 and a 2.1 ghz cpu to run it smoothly

with descent fps rate?

i really think this game isnt as big as the original one was cause not many people can play it.

You firstly have to look at your system to see if a problem lies there. You didn't say what resolution your trying to get but i assume it will be a general setting say 1024x768 or 1280x1024, with a Nvidia 6200 series [i have to say I looked up this little puppy and it's slower than a nVidia 5 Series, it's in the 6 Series because it's made on the newer 0.11 micron production process.....In reality this card benches up against things like ATi 9600 range.. [the ait 96xx being some 2-3 years old]. The problem is the nVidia 62xx is not a performance card and I had a Ati 9800Xt one of the fastest cards of that same period and now it struggles......although GRIS spec it as midrange in there card compatibility list.... I would say the lads at GRIN are being a little optimistic and this is what I'm going towards, The system you are running is not the clean fresh puppy it was when Windows Xp was first installed on it. So other demands on system resources may be pulling your overall frame rate down as well as your lower end GFX card....... you'd be better with a 6600 [or 6600GT] which has approx twice the power of 6200.

I know your asking to have the game tweaked [and it may probably get it] but we all have to face the fact it's a demanding game..... remember this is no "Call of Duty" even in FarCry [the closest game to stack up to GRAW] the 6200 plays around 35 FPS @ 1024x768

ref: made for this:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Previews/nv6200/

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/gefor...00/index.x?pg=1

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/gefor...00/index.x?pg=1

I would think the mouse lag may have to do with the GRAW running at High Priority on some systems. I cannot track what causes it as I have 2 near identical machines and one runs it on Normal and one runs it on High.

Tho I would still like to see some perfomance tweaks none the less

i never said rework the engine,

Yes, you did; you just didn't realize that this is what you were asking for. You might get some optimizations in a patch that would give a little boost to those can already run it, but a rework that would allow people below the minspecs to run it would require a complete overhaul of the engine.

I am still of the opinion, btw, that we will see bigger improvements in framerates from NVIdia and ATI driver revisions than from GRIN patches.

Well, the fact remains that we still haven't had any optimised graphics drivers as of yet, remember like they did when Oblivion came out?

Infact, like when most half decent games come out.

The game engine is buggy to say the least, i'm sure performance will increase once improvements are made.

Early days yet, I refuse to even play my copy until the June patch comes along.

Shadow, kick back and relax, optimizations and new drivers will improve your chances of running the game smoothly. It won't require reworking the engine, I've been looking hard at the files in the demo (can't afford full game at the moment). The xml files allow for alot of customization, but some of them also appear to have a parent/child relationship, meaning same changes must be made in both files for them to work. Patience will be key for this game, both in gameplay and in awaiting changes by Grin and those willing to crawl through the files to find a change that might yield a few fps. I look at the June patch as only a start, with all the Grin employees I've seen going through the forums lately, I see a commitment. Give it time.

Shadow, kick back and relax, optimizations and new drivers will improve your chances of running the game smoothly. It won't require reworking the engine, I've been looking hard at the files in the demo (can't afford full game at the moment). The xml files allow for alot of customization, but some of them also appear to have a parent/child relationship, meaning same changes must be made in both files for them to work. Patience will be key for this game, both in gameplay and in awaiting changes by Grin and those willing to crawl through the files to find a change that might yield a few fps. I look at the June patch as only a start, with all the Grin employees I've seen going through the forums lately, I see a commitment. Give it time.

i hope your right, i waited a long time for this game and im really dissapointed that the sys specs are so damn high.