How to run mods without overwriting original files

It can be done using the localization path..

If you install the game with italian for istance, it will create a "local" folder in the same root path of the game folder with localized files wich have priority access over the ones in the bundle.

So, if you set the game language to "mods" in context.xml and create the folder "Mods" in c:\graw\local\ (eg path) you'll be able to run a mod just putting the modded files with the right path in this directory

I'm running a uniform mod and a nointro mod and it works!

You can also run different mods just setting the proper name in the context.xml

PS: if you wish to keep the localized files, just move 'em to the mods folder

ops, this also means that we can try mods without unpacking the bundle-->faster loading times

Edited by DiGiTALY -TC-

So you can run multiple mods at the same time or just one mod?

Nice job. :)

u can run multiple mods if they don't share modded resources.

so if you have 2 uniform mods, you have to choose one by setting the proper folder name in the context.xml

hopefully in june we'll get mod support and this 'll be done in an easier way, but till then... :shifty:

So, if you set the game language to "mods" in context.xml and create the folder "Mods" in c:\graw\local\ (eg path) you'll be able to run a mod just putting the modded files with the right path in this directory

Ok I feel dumb asking this...

"c:\graw\local\ (eg path)" = c:\programs\ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter\Mods

I have some adjusted xml files. Can I just put them in a folder named "Mods" and then place the "Mods" folder in the top level of the GR:AW folder? Is that correct? Of course I first change the language to "Mods" in the context.xml.

silent_op

Edited by silent_op

@ silent: and i feel dumb answering with an image :lol:

path7qu.jpg

it works both with bundled and unbundled files.. of course is better to have the bundle intact and extract single files in the mods (mod for me) folder to change them.

Now if you wanna share a mod you just have to give a .rar (with correct paths) coz I think it works even if you label the mod dir to "english" (so no reason to change the context.xml) but I'm too lazy to test it right now :shifty:

@insane: there is a self explainatory option in sb_templates\global\sb_global.xml (open it with notepad, ctrl+f, search for "intro" and set that line to true :thumbsup:

---------

ok I'm not that lazy.. it works even without changing the context.xml, so just rename the "mod" dir in my image to "english" (if you have a localized version, I guess you know what to do..)

Edited by DiGiTALY -TC-

Ok, really stupid question.

I have no local folder in which to make a mods folder

so do I make a new folder called local then another in there called mods?

nope..

1-make a "local" folder

2-make an "english" subfolder

3-use this "english" subfolder as your "data" folder (so put into it a textures folder with your modded skin for istance)

Ok, really stupid question.

I have no local folder in which to make a mods folder

so do I make a new folder called local then another in there called mods?

nope..

1-make a "local" folder

2-make an "english" subfolder

3-use this "english" subfolder as your "data" folder (so put into it a textures folder with your modded skin for istance)

Cheers matey ;)

This is brillant!!!

I just tried it out and it worked! :rofl: I used modded xml files from Creatch (Alpha Squad) and use DiGiTALY -TC- 's "english" folder technique, it worked and my load times did not increase at all. It was very easy.

Creatch's xml file removed the chat box, Nar Comm video window and enlarged the compass letters. Now I'm going to use TedSmiths removing friendly tags!!!

Thank you so much modders. Once again, you guys come out of nowhere with the best damn stuff. I'm so excited about cleaning up the HUD and ditching all the friendly diamonds.

silent_op