GRAW LOVE GR1 killer is born

I've been reading the threads over the past week since DAY-0 [GRAW RELEASE DAY]

and have noticed all the negative feedback and it's not good to just reflect and rant on the poor points of our GR3.

I mean, even I did abit or moaning !! [hopefully constructive] there are some valid points like you need a dam good PC to really play GRAW to it's best and it needs work on the edges.

but at the END OF THE DAY it's here and we have what we have, so build on it.

So I sat down and listed all the good things [it was very easy to pull it apart for it's current faults] I noticed about GRAW, and it was amazing, there is alot of good stuff here, alot of it is in the detail, but only a few ever mentioned, so in no particular order here's a few I noticed.....

SOUND One of the strongest elements of a tactical shooter is the sound, [apart from the guy in domination always saying "Foxtrot Zone has fallen under enemy control" [which personally does my head in]. If you listen it's like a 3rd sense, this has transposed from GR1 nicely... Yes there are [Wall] hackers at the moment and i've come up against the odd one...but even with there hack you can hear there amateur approach, they know your there but you know there close and from which direction there coming. I love the sounds that the different ground surfaces make I usually stand/crouch in an area next to crunchy ground gravel [no COD or MoH here please]. The Air sounds, wind, transformers, lights & birds humming and buzzing adds to the atmosphere of Mexico city. A few more of the good old GR1 sounds like 'TANGO DOWN' will make the sound element more or less perfect.... GRIN SOUND GUYS [and GIRLS] well done ...lovin it !!

LIGHTING Yes many moaned about AA but the lighting itself is so dynamic, next time you play just look around you when you get the chance. I don't know if it depends on the level of detail but the lighting is amazing...compared to all the MoH COD & likes I've played inc GR1 this is probably the most realistic lite game i've ever played....I was in an 'under pass tunnel way' the other day and shot out all the lights on the wall... and the underpass went into darkness par the natural daylight falling in from the ends...Lighting is a vary important element in tactical war/games and on a PC GAME I've seen no better than here.

Another thing about lighting I love is how they still have that distant graininess from GR1 add atmosphere and realism.

SCENERY This is a biggy, so I can't mention a fraction of the things i've noticed but

the amount of physical objects that can be moved, blown-up or interacted with are numerous. One example is the aircon fans rotating on the walls in "WAREHOUSES", shoot them and they stop, not a biggy but it's detail. It's true they all don't behave in a absolute realistic manner but the amount of objects is incredible. Go to any other FPS and see if you have anything close, the only one I can think of which has elements was 'FarCry' The design and construct of the MEXICO map is awesome, the amount of detail compared to any GR1 map is more than 10 fold, I look forward to the first map expansion pack, if this is the standard of attention to detail we can expect.

NAD'S [Grenades] some people hate them others love them , I love them in this game, they are so useable, when they are thrown, the holding time before release dictating power of throw etc... top dog so easy and the destructive force !!! just like a real nad, none of this standing 3 meters [10 feet] away and your o.k. they pack a punch !!! and the sound reverb in the passage ways is sweet. Well done GRIN NAD dude.

I could go on and on, trust me.... but I'd prefer you to have your say on what you like on GRAW. It's not perfect but it will probably end up being the game that will stop you playingGR1... Yes hard to believe in the current climate.

Imagine if GRIN got the basic elements wrong..... It's so easy to use something that works well and not thank the persons who spent hours making it happen ...so to GRIN TEAM and the others well done :thumbsup: [so far], now for a good bit of SPIT & POLISH yes yes yes I do mean a GOOOOOD BIT :wub:

If you don't agree or need inspiration..get out an old copy of GR1, MOH, COD or other FPS and compare the LIGHTING, SOUND, GRAPHICS, OBJECTS, WEAPONS, ...

[at this moment I would not like to compare the GAMEPLAY as we don't have all the PLAY MODES yet]. but on a personal note: Domination is not my cup of tea.... but I wait in anticipation..........

Edited by viiiper

HE SAID NADS,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rofl::rofl:

MADCOW !!! you have a one track mind LOL maybe GRIN will add NADS just for you...

a nice pair in your combat pants :clapping: ...... It takes alot of :censored: 'plums' to post something none critical... :harhar:

Thats the problem on this forum alot of members with nothing good to say...but alot of :sheep:

HE SAID NADS,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rofl::rofl:

This is the most responces to any post I have made here in the past 5 years....I cant tell you how hard I am laughing right now.....And Chris,t I am 38 years old.... So maybe it is the best observation I have made here........ :rofl::rofl::rofl::whistle:

I'd prefer you to have your say on what you like on GRAW It's not perfect but it will probably end up being the game that will stop you playin GR1.

Alright, you wanna hear what I gotta say 'bout what I like on GR:AW? OK, you asked for it:

I'm takin' no GR:AW, no GR:AW is takin' me.

go_wd.gif

Man, I post a topic like this and I get crucified.

Join the club.

(Or should that be: "join the resistance"?) :shifty:

Edited by WytchDokta

I've been reading the threads over the past week since DAY-0 [GRAW RELEASE DAY]

and have noticed all the negative feedback and it's not good to just reflect and rant on the poor points of our GR3.

I mean, even I did abit or moaning !! [hopefully constructive] there are some valid points like you need a dam good PC to really play GRAW to it's best and it needs work on the edges.

but at the END OF THE DAY it's here and we have what we have, so build on it.

So I sat down and listed all the good things [it was very easy to pull it apart for it's current faults] I noticed about GRAW, and it was amazing, there is alot of good stuff here, alot of it is in the detail, but only a few ever mentioned, so in no particular order here's a few I noticed.....

SOUND One of the strongest elements of a tactical shooter is the sound, [apart from the guy in domination always saying "Foxtrot Zone has fallen under enemy control" [which personally does my head in]. If you listen it's like a 3rd sense, this has transposed from GR1 nicely... Yes there are [Wall] hackers at the moment and i've come up against the odd one...but even with there hack you can hear there amateur approach, they know your there but you know there close and from which direction there coming. I love the sounds that the different ground surfaces make I usually stand/crouch in an area next to crunchy ground gravel [no COD or MoH here please]. The Air sounds, wind, transformers, lights & birds humming and buzzing adds to the atmosphere of Mexico city. A few more of the good old GR1 sounds like 'TANGO DOWN' will make the sound element more or less perfect.... GRIN SOUND GUYS [and GIRLS] well done ...lovin it !!

LIGHTING Yes many moaned about AA but the lighting itself is so dynamic, next time you play just look around you when you get the chance. I don't know if it depends on the level of detail but the lighting is amazing...compared to all the MoH COD & likes I've played inc GR1 this is probably the most realistic lite game i've ever played....I was in an 'under pass tunnel way' the other day and shot out all the lights on the wall... and the underpass went into darkness par the natural daylight falling in from the ends...Lighting is a vary important element in tactical war/games and on a PC GAME I've seen no better than here.

Another thing about lighting I love is how they still have that distant graininess from GR1 add atmosphere and realism.

SCENERY This is a biggy, so I can't mention a fraction of the things i've noticed but

the amount of physical objects that can be moved, blown-up or interacted with are numerous. One example is the aircon fans rotating on the walls in "WAREHOUSES", shoot them and they stop, not a biggy but it's detail. It's true they all don't behave in a absolute realistic manner but the amount of objects is incredible. Go to any other FPS and see if you have anything close, the only one I can think of which has elements was 'FarCry' The design and construct of the MEXICO map is awesome, the amount of detail compared to any GR1 map is more than 10 fold, I look forward to the first map expansion pack, if this is the standard of attention to detail we can expect.

NAD'S [Grenades] some people hate them others love them , I love them in this game, they are so useable, when they are thrown, the holding time before release dictating power of throw etc... top dog so easy and the destructive force !!! just like a real nad, none of this standing 3 meters [10 feet] away and your o.k. they pack a punch !!! and the sound reverb in the passage ways is sweet. Well done GRIN NAD dude.

I could go on and on, trust me.... but I'd prefer you to have your say on what you like on GRAW. It's not perfect but it will probably end up being the game that will stop you playingGR1... Yes hard to believe in the current climate.

Imagine if GRIN got the basic elements wrong..... It's so easy to use something that works well and not thank the persons who spent hours making it happen ...so to GRIN TEAM and the others well done :thumbsup: [so far], now for a good bit of SPIT & POLISH yes yes yes I do mean a GOOOOOD BIT :wub:

If you don't agree or need inspiration..get out an old copy of GR1, MOH, COD or other FPS and compare the LIGHTING, SOUND, GRAPHICS, OBJECTS, WEAPONS, ...

[at this moment I would not like to compare the GAMEPLAY as we don't have all the PLAY MODES yet]. but on a personal note: Domination is not my cup of tea.... but I wait in anticipation..........

;) Lets get the thread back on topic :shifty:

I would just like to say its nice to see someone with a good word to say about GRAW instead of all the BS in the forum :thumbsup and i would agrea with almost all of what you have said BUT, As nice a game as GRAW is IMO it will not replace GR1 and here at the Team there are quite a few who will still be playing GR1. We will still play GRAW but GR1 is still the main team game. and there are gonna be some great new MOD shortly for GR1 with CENTCOM being one of them thats gonna take GR1 to a new level.

I'd add very good AI and the tactical map to list of "positives". Plus the movement (general feel and the diving/sliding for cover) and the fact that you can't stand close to an obstacle and still have your weapon out. Plus good animations. Plus complex maps with lots of cover. Plus.... the destructible environment. They really does add to the gameplay, no more hiding behind cardbox boxes etc.

I agree there are things which need to be fixed, and things which need to be added. But there is a lot that is extremely well done too. I suspect that once the June patch (and subsequent patches too) comes out more and more people will begin to appreciate all the good things.

Edited by Trident-za

I got the game last week and I must say, I love it. I'm a huge ghost recon 1 fan and I think that it comes pretty close to the original game.

This is no CS, you need to move slow and carefull trough the maps, which are huge and offer room for meany differant approaches, and more importantly you really need to use your team.

The only things I don't like in compairison to the original game is that the outdoorsy feeling is gone and removal of multiple controlable teams. It's as good as all urban now. Not that I dislike Urban warfare, but I kind of associated ghost recon with big outdoor maps.

The smaller team still offers a wide array of tactics, I simply love the tactical side of this game, but on the other hand I miss the ability to switch control between all of your team members and the amount of team members you have with you now. In ghost recon I got the feeling I was opperating with several group that had their own indivial goal, now it's just you and your 3 companions.

Edited by Ranger Six

Nobody ever said GR:AW hasn't got anything going for it, the thing

is though that if something is good then there isn't going to be any

posts about it as it doesn't need anything done to it. On the other hand

a bad will need fixing and then you'll get TONS and TONS of posts on it,

mainly because people are too lazy to try and see wether or not there

are any posts on the subject.

GR:AW deffinately has a lot of good things going for it, like for example

the AI, you can tell there is a lot of fine craftsmanship in it's design

because the AI is plainly evil (in a good sorta way lol). But again, it isn't

worth mentioning as things that need fixing annoy people. Things that are good are EXPECTED as you paid for the product and expect

to receive quality for your money.

;) Lets get the thread back on topic :shifty:

I would just like to say its nice to see someone with a good word to say about GRAW instead of all the BS in the forum :thumbsup and i would agree with almost all of what you have said BUT, As nice a game as GRAW is IMO it will not replace GR1 and here at the Team there are quite a few who will still be playing GR1. We will still play GRAW but GR1 is still the main team game. and there are gonna be some great new MOD shortly for GR1 with CENTCOM being one of them that’s gonna take GR1 to a new level.

The first post I can actually answer, I thought we'd never get off the NADS sub subject !!!

[all you NADS fanatics twenty lashes, I was going to say drop and give me twenty... but I ain't going there , neither are you lot].

Thanks for the input Hammer ,I like many saw this at first glance/ play as anything but

GR3. Then when I looked closer and played on some not so laggy servers with some half decent players... things started to change...... The whole game play started to remind me of my 3 yrs of GR1 with some great players form around Europe....

I initially thought this release had no chance but I read a few optimistic threads from members like ROCOAFZ 'Attitude thread' and what he was saying was right, it will grow. I took a closer look while playing on the half decent servers and noticed I was seeing reflections of my days down at the 'EMBASSY' slowly edging out from a low level wall lined with a hedge next to the underground car park... Even before any mod...patch or fix is out the true foundations of the next gen Ghost recon are set. We have what we have and my point is that the basic elements that can be built on ...... are here and there good, dam good, it would be a pity if half the GR community ends up splitting with the idea that GRAW will never be GR1, off course it won't, it has to be better or it fails.....and we can make it better that GR1, not ever wanting to forget GR1 [i still have it installed].

We have a great graphics engine [that is stretching most players machines to the limit and beyond]. We have 95% of the GRAW player movement set and it's as good as GR1 only a couple of minor bugs with prone aim and a role ability, a couple of other tweaks and we will have more movement that GR1.

The playability is there, just the lack of a couple of extra MP game modes along with a good server side setup & control package.

It's true there are probably some 20-30 issues that need addressing [not in a major rebuild] but once addressed we will have the solid GR3 platform..... GR1 is great, it's had 5 yrs to become the monster Tactical killer it is but I believe GRAW will eclipse it and in alot less than a year. If you wind back to the early GR1 it was not the classic it is today or 3 years ago, it has been fine tuned and modded like a custom car in "The Fast and the Furious"

p.s. I do hope GR1 keeps a high level of mod support but I'm hoping more for the moding tools for GRAW. I'm hoping for tools to import GR1 items and uprate them for GR3.

CkZWarlord Posted Today, 08:44 PM

Nobody ever said GR:AW hasn't got anything going for it, the thing

is though that if something is good then there isn't going to be any

posts about it as it doesn't need anything done to it. On the other hand

a bad will need fixing and then you'll get TONS and TONS of posts on it,

mainly because people are too lazy to try and see wether or not there

are any posts on the subject.

GR:AW deffinately has a lot of good things going for it, like for example

the AI, you can tell there is a lot of fine craftsmanship in it's design

because the AI is plainly evil (in a good sorta way lol). But again, it isn't

worth mentioning as things that need fixing annoy people. Things that are good are EXPECTED as you paid for the product and expect

Just not true CK'Warlord.... I think the good points should be listed like everyone lists GR1 best aspects, it's stealthy, sneaky, tactical, weapons...the number of posts I've read regarding weapons like how you can do this with that etc ...driving me crazy [it's like they owned the dam thing].

I really wanted to talk about positive things/ points from GRAW like the fact it is a stable platform, where you can ALT+TAB out and in from windows to GRAW without it falling over unlike MoH COD or the FACT that the image/screen scales up to your monitors max resolution [not preset by the game], these were the type of things I wanted to list out...... How GRIN has got the std 1x scope on the rifles just right or how you can loadout with 2 rifles or rifle/machinegun, I suppose i'm in a small minority.... that know there are issues but can see past them .

Things that are good are EXPECTED as you paid for the product and expect

I paid my money and was hoping for a flaw less diamond but didn't get that, but I'm dam sure I will sometime soon...[and not tomorrow]. I think I got quality for my money because I think I'll be getting the support of GRIN for the next 6 months plus and when the modkits are released then things will step up.....It's just a pity things didn't come out 101% from day one.

Things that are good are EXPECTED and when people say there good others empathize

and appreciate the fact that some noticed...... If no one mentioned all the good stuff ...no one would have a clue on what was good.......

I agree with viiiper. :thumbsup:

There are a lot of things that I love about Graw pc. Many many aspects have been added/ improved in this game and they need to be recognised. Many people talk about GR1 having a certain 'IT' to it and I agree. But it must also be said that Graw has it's own 'IT's.

Effects - They are quite awesome in Graw and make the game very immersive. They include bullet effects on various surfaces, gun effects, explosions, reflections, smoke etc. This aspect is a big improvement over GR.

AI- It is easily the most important factor for Co-op and SP and we are very lucky that the AI in Graw is simply superb, tactical and believable.

Destructible/moveable objects - Another big addition that adds a lot to immersion and realism. I am hiding behind a crate and it breaks, I can break the light bulbs and hide in the darkness, etc are really special.

Sounds- The bullet hit sound are very special in Graw. Most of the gun sounds are very nice.

Aiming, shooting, guns and sights- I love the optical sight views, especially the glowing red dot sight. The gun models, in first person view, are very well done. The aiming and shooting are very enjoyable.

Squad Command- The combination of the tac map and the quick cross-com orders, is an improvement over GR. Add to this the fact, that we can receive information from the Ghosts via their head-cam, and we have a rather well rounded communications system.

Movements- This is a very important gameplay aspect and, for me, it feels just right in Graw. the movement speed are ok and the added movements like sliding and diving for cover are really welcome.

Animations- Most of it is nicely done. A little improvement is welcome though.

Large maps and interesting level design- Most of the maps are non-linear, barring a couple. The linear missions do not always let us enjoy the maps as much as we should.

Stating all these, does not mean that the game does not have weaknesses. But a lot of work has gone into improving and developing all the above mentioned features and they deserve acknowledgement.

I think the base work has been done, rather well, whether it is for Sp, Co-op or TvT. When all the aspects of this game are complete and major bugs removed, hopefully when the June patch comes out, we can have an outstanding game in our hands. :grin1: As it is, the campaign part is quite good but I am missing the 'firefight' mode in SP and Co-op.

Let us all acknowledge the many good points of Graw, in the same way as we have pointed out the weaknesses. :)

Edited by buddhiraja73

I agree with viiiper. :thumbsup: .............

Let us all acknowledge the many good points of Graw, in the same way as we have pointed out the weaknesses. :)

Thankyou for the input buddhiraja73 that’s exactly what I'm trying to point out and say here, It's amazing how hard it it for some people to state the good points...and amazingly when you do you probably find it's not so off the mark......thx again :notworthy:

some good comments aswell !!!!

:thumbsup:

Edited by viiiper

@Viiiper

I would like to add to what i have said, Once the Modders get hold of the game and take out some of the ..questionable scripting and give it a few more maps( personely i dont care about more weapons, we dont play with any weapon mods running ) it will be a great game

buddhiraja73 said "Many people talk about GR1 having a certain 'IT' to it and I agree. But it must also be said that Graw has it's own 'IT's." and that to me sums it up. When i first started playing GRAW i tryed to compaire every thing with GR1 and i didnt like the game,Then i stopped doing it and treated it like a new game and i started to love it,im not gonna list all the reasons why as most have been posted above already but it does make you fell like you wanna dig a whole with you cap badge to hide in when the cover your behind is rapedly disapearing under heavy fire :o and i have to admit you dont get that with GR1. I like other ppl in the Team just think that they are 2 different games, Both great but for different reasons.

Hammer it's early days and GRAW will become a classic ...just that classics don't happen in one go, we make them classics ....what makes GR1 a classic is us.

in general [not at you Hammer]

like everyone says it has floors it has bugs but alot don't remember the interview

COLIN PINNED with GRIN in the thread GRAW FACTS ??????

Q: Why are there no TvT or DM multiplayer modes out-of-the-box?

A: Although you have been waiting for this sequel for five years, you have to remember that this does not mean that we have been working on it for five years.

We prioritized our efforts on creating a new, sophisticated MP mode to blow a breath of fresh, tactical air into the MP world, and bring something new to the community. We simply did not have the time to implement everything in the game, but the magic words are "free online add on" and "trust us". Heed those magic words!

Q: Will there be a patch to implement TvT and DM into the game?

A: Yes, it's in the works right as we speak - we know you want it, and we are passionate about bringing it to you. We do aim to plaese. We're sorry it didn't get to be out-of-the-box, but you have to acknowledge the fact that as a developer you are required to say "OK, fine, this game rocks and is more than good enough to be released - we can't keep the fans waiting any more; any more changes and additions can be done in future patches". That is a fact, and you have to acknowledge that fact.

After Game Release Support:

We will provide patches and work with Ubi for MP support and we hope to do some expansion pack in the near future.

Every program contains bugs, even GRAW, something which Bo doesn’t deny. Patches will be released which will contain bugfixes as well as additional content.

full post: http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...topic=28051&hl=

21st April 2006

It's amazing how little people remember..... It you read the above post by Colin :notworthy: you would of noticed GRIN did say: Under pressure from Ubisoft they had to release [like RocoAFZ mentioned in the start of his Attitudes thread]. GRIN acknowledges that work would be done after release and additional elements like LMS, Team deathmatch etc etc [read it] would be added..... If anything we are part to blame for applying pressure for the release of the GR1 replacement [and before anyone goes there , yes I love GR1 too but there will come a time when you will dig out GR1 for nostalgic reasons and don't tell me your one of those, I love CS nothing will replace CS, not that GR1 should even be mentioned in a sentence with the word CS].

best regards viii

Back on track

MAP Although we only have one monster map sub split into playable map segments, the level of detail in this Urban Mexico city is un paralleled in any other mapped game I've played, It's not perfect [in the segment map called Church a graveyard and headstones, would have been nice... or a large park area somewhere to give this urban map a green element within the steel-gold and grey tones, also a few other landmarks but it's fair to say it's in a league of it's own. The passageways linking blocks together in Downtown can be easily missed along with the perimeter roads that most don't use, but add key strategic elements to the game play. My favourite is Downtown it's very good but I would love to have seen fire escapes at the back of buildings so we could access upper floor landings [adding a 3rd dimension to the hunt for the enemy] and talking about that some of the maps could do with the odd ladder here and there, adding a climb/ use element to the game map, a little like GR1 maps had. Some people don’t like the litter on the ground but this is there for a reason, it's like a sensor grid of litter, if your an average Joe player, running about, you'll be the type that tends to kick /knock past litter causing a noise. alerting the waiting players. You may have noticed that in most cases you can walk around the litter in Mexico city. I'm sure other maps will not be so strewn with garbage as this map is, but it adds to the abandoned city effect.....

The industrial segment - warehouses of the Mexico city map is more to the size we're accustomed to from GR1 and again the detail. Shanty town is my least favourite, why I don't know but the detail here it to the same standard as the rest of the maps. Impressed by what I would call the first map "Urban" I'm hoping that GRIN along with UbiSoft decide to go on to release map expansion packs for Desert, Tropical/ Mountain/scrubland and speciality maps like GR1 'THE MILL' THE MANSION' 'THE GREAT WALL' etc etc you get the idea....

ASPECT 16:10 I would like to point out an observation while playing GRAW visually on my 16:10 monitor I have a greater field of view than a friend of mine on his 4:3 style monitor and although I have a wide field of view my point is the map looks even better on my 16:10 aspect for some strange reason. The aspect has not been stretched of altered just encompasses more FOV. Thanks GRIN for that inclusion ... I love 16:10. The original GR1 had/ has no support for 16:10 and only a strech will do......

best regards viii

Edited by viiiper

ASPECT 16:10 I would like to point out an observation while playing GRAW visually on my 16:10 monitor I have a greater field of view than a friend of mine on his 4:3 style monitor and although I have a wide field of view my point is the map looks even better on my 16:10 aspect for some strange reason. The aspect has not been stretched of altered just encompasses more FOV. Thanks GRIN for that inclusion ... I love 16:10. The original GR1 had/ has no support for 16:10 and only a strech will do......

best regards viii

Not exactly true, I play [GR] at 1680x1050 on my wide screen LCD, while I dont know if it changes my field of view, it certainly isnt stretched, it is a selectable option in my video options. As far as I know, [GR] has always allowed any display resolution supported by your Graphics card. (unlike GRAW), where I have to edit the renderer_settings.xml file to even get 1680x1050 as a display resolution.

best regards viii

Not exactly true, I play [GR] at 1680x1050 on my wide screen LCD, while I dont know if it changes my field of view, it certainly isnt stretched, it is a selectable option in my video options. As far as I know, [GR] has always allowed any display resolution supported by your Graphics card. (unlike GRAW), where I have to edit the renderer_settings.xml file to even get 1680x1050 as a display resolution.

I ment, GRAW does not stretch it plays to screen resolution

I have a Dell2405FPW running 1920x1200@60Hz Native 16:10

My friend has a standard 19" LCD running 1280x1024 NATIVE 4:3

When side by Side looking at the same part of the map/ mexico city he can see a narrower FOV than I can approx his FOV is 90 degrees mine is 110 degrees, thats what I said, and it's TRUE

As for GR1 you are right !!! GR1 does support NATIVE 16:10, my mistake in saying it did not.... I had to go back and run it up..

thx for that Sheldon....

Edited by viiiper

As nice a game as GRAW is IMO it will not replace GR1 and here at the Team there are quite a few who will still be playing GR1. We will still play GRAW but GR1 is still the main team game. and there are gonna be some great new MOD shortly for GR1 with CENTCOM being one of them thats gonna take GR1 to a new level.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: