This Game is a Joke

I'll agree with that. :( I wonder if UBI shopped around for game developers with their own game engine to take on GRAW and the budget was so low that GRIN was the only one to bite.

If you read up on why UBisoft chose GRIN you'd know that they had alot of military based software experience and a well capable games engine to deliver it.

Do you know that for a fact or is that just the standard PR junk they release after they choose someone? :unsure: Do you know what kind of budget was allowed for this game? :whistle: If it is such a well capable game engine why are so many people having issues? :( From what I've seen UBI would have been better off letting RSE do their thing with the updated GR engine.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you don't like GR:AW go back to your [GR]. nobody is making you play GR:AW. noone made you buy it. I, along with others, enjoy the game dispite it's technical issues. So many people whining about how they're computers can't handle it; yeah it is harsh that my system has to run it on low but so what. After years of playing, the game will just look better and better as the technology advances.

We know the game is not complete. They know the game is not complete.

But do we all know that?

I didn't.

I preordered the game a while ago, expecting in to be released when complete. I didn't expect them to ship a product that was incomplete.

Anyway, after the disapointment of the demo, I put the unopened game in a drawer and will wait for the June patch before trying it as I don't want to get put off GRAW in its current state.

Do you know that for a fact or is that just the standard PR junk they release after they choose someone? :unsure: Do you know what kind of budget was allowed for this game? :whistle: If it is such a well capable game engine why are so many people having issues? :( From what I've seen UBI would have been better off letting RSE do their thing with the updated GR engine.

Do you know what kind of budget was allowed for this game?

How am I going to have financial information of a confidential business contract ???

If it is such a well capable game engine why are so many people having issues?

Why are you asking ME why so many people are having issues ???? go to the Tech support SECTION

From what I've seen UBI would have been better off letting RSE do their thing with the updated GR engine.

You couldn't of seen alot..... Because I have a purchased copy of GRAW and what I see is unparallel ... and before you harp on about HL2, BF2 and the rest of the ARCADE GAMING CLOSIT I have played alot of other titles and this one stands at the top.......

I'm not going to come across NEGATIVE unlike SOME !!!!! that can not be bothered to do their own research !!! but if you looked this page-->

http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/interview-grin-2.htm

A direct interview with BO Anderson [GRIN] and Whiteknight [WhiteKnight77] of GR.net

you would get all the information you need to confirm the questions you ask......

And remember it you don't like GRAW don't buy it Don't play it .... IMHO posting negative comments like that above does not help anyone....we have what we have..... and side by side with GR1, [unless your visually impaired] is NO CONTEST and I mean GRAW wins hands down.......

hope it helps :)

enjoying the show 'jay316' :thumbsup:

NO CONTEST and I mean GRAW wins hands down.......

Whatever. :P I'm glad you love GRAW so much and defend it with a passion! :whistle: Seems to me this thread dealt with GRAW being a joke and my post only wondered if UBI's budget was so small that GRIN had to cut a lot of stuff that made GR so good and made so many people unhappy.

NO CONTEST and I mean GRAW wins hands down.......

Whatever. :P I'm glad you love GRAW so much and defend it with a passion! :whistle: Seems to me this thread dealt with GRAW being a joke and my post only wondered if UBI's budget was so small that GRIN had to cut a lot of stuff that made GR so good and made so many people unhappy.

KRP don't get me too wrong...I ain't getting personal......

This thread is about GRAW being a joke but I'm putting the other side

GRIN has cut alot off for now, they had a Ubi deadline to hit but if I fished about I would post the links that states from GRIN that they had to goto RELEASE and the stuff thats missing like LMS etc etc would come in patches !!!! and support would be there.

:thumbsup:

So in closing, some feel that GRAW lost all the look and feel of the former Ghost Recon.

I'll agree with that. :( I wonder if UBI shopped around for game developers with their own game engine to take on GRAW and the budget was so low that GRIN was the only one to bite. Could a low budget have lead to GRAW not having so many of the elements that made GR so great? :hmm: Other than newer graphics and effects GRAW looks to have taken a step or two backward. :( Can't say I didn't want it to be great but for me as a SP only it doesn't offer anywhere near the gameplay as GR.

Jeeez, you guys need to borrow my copy maybe... seems like we got different games. I'd say GRAW went several steps forwards, apart from the MP side of things which is still unfinished. I guess it comes down to personal preference... but I'd much rather play this than [GR] (and I never thought I'd say that about ANY game). If it's your personal preference to play [GR] instead, go for it.

KRP don't get me too wrong...I ain't getting personal......

This thread is about GRAW being a joke but I'm putting the other side

:thumbsup: GRAW being a joke is pretty extreme as I see it but most people expected GRAW to be so much more than it is and their all wound up about it. :angry: As for me GRAW's got some good stuff but not nearly enough and I know GRIN's working on a patch and hopefully more (for me SP gametypes) but if the retail sales don't justify further development GRAW's not going to make the grade as a long term game without improvement. :grin1:

Just think, a year or two from now we'll look back at all the commotion and negativity that got stirred up because GRAW was released as sort of a "work-in-progress" and we'll all have a good laugh! And hopefully we'll be enjoying "fully-patched bliss". :g_withgrin:

It seems we have two choices in gaming: go with Xbox and get a finished game (along with all the shortcomings of the console version) or buy the "unfinished" PC version with the hopes that it could develop into a great game. Most of the games I've played took about two years before they became great games.

From what I've seen of the demo, in terms of the feel of the combat, I'm very impressed. No sense wasting more bandwidth and server space on the missing pieces and huge performance reqts. At this point, I'm simply interested in the game's potential - and I think that potential is very great.

No doubt the game was rushed out the door because of UBI. I think that that is something we're going to see from now on - especially with UBI. It's a shame that GRIN got such a small timeframe for GRAW. "Okay, develop the mind-blowing sequel to one of the greatest PC combat games ever made that people have been waiting for five years. You've got a year and a half - go!" :huh:

according to a post on the ubi forums it was grin that wanted to release it earlier but ubi QA told them to work at it longer. this is however, unverified

agreed though the game has mucho potential

Edited by babydave

Why oh why do we perpetuate these randoms who turn up slate GRIN and GRAW mindlessly and then dissapear.......this thread is still going long after EMF whatshisface has left........honestly this endless whining is getting dull. These whiners are getting way too much limelight.

Any chance of a whiners area for the forums?

If you don't like it.....buy another game.......... I've never seen so many toys come out a pram before........... . Go outdoors, see the sunlight, find a girl, settle down, buy HL2/BF2.....whatever it takes . Ok so GRAW isn't the game of your dreams.....deal with it, go play OP Flashpoint.

Honestly.........its like............. :yawn:

Why oh why do we perpetuate these randoms who turn up slate GRIN and GRAW mindlessly and then dissapear.......this thread is still going long after EMF whatshisface has left........honestly this endless whining is getting dull. These whiners are getting way too much limelight.

Any chance of a whiners area for the forums?

If you don't like it.....buy another game.......... I've never seen so many toys come out a pram before........... . Go outdoors, see the sunlight, find a girl, settle down, buy HL2/BF2.....whatever it takes . Ok so GRAW isn't the game of your dreams.....deal with it, go play OP Flashpoint.

Honestly.........its like............. :yawn:

Well put !!!

--==THE END==--

No, what really gripes me:

They are using an OLD engine. AND they heavily modified it by adding a whole bunch of fancy features to it (HDR, etc.). But because it is poorly optimized its running like crap on most modern rigs. Which is ridiculous because visually it cannot hold a candle to stuff like valve's HL2 engine or the DOOM3 engine. At first, I mistakenly took the HDR to be the high dynamic range lightening of say HL2....its not.

They need to optimize this game. IMO the game is not finished. With such old graphics there is no reason whatsoever that this game should run so poorly on modern systems.

No offence but know the FACTS first.....

Mathieu Girard, Ubisoft Producer, Quoted !!

The advantage of having the dev team using its own engine is that they know it by heart and are really keen on taking the best out of its capabilities. Diesel allows for all the latest technologies. It integrates physics and all the latest rendering technologies in huge and highly detailed maps.

GRIN has strong experience in military applications (they started developing software for the armed forces). They also distinguished themselves in developing groundbreaking technology; in fact GRIN were among the first developers to feature vertex and pixel shaders in cooperation with Nvidia

end quote .

Deisel v6.0 was co developed with nVidia

They know the capability of the diesel v6 engine and it shows in the RELEASE VERSION

They may have to do a bit more optimizing or what ever but at the end of the day it is a

fine platform to base GRAW. It's not what you have as an engine that counts !!!

BUT HOW YOU USE IT. Diesil was developed like you say a few years ago but that was not diesil v6+

And for HL2, I've played it and you know what ?? It's just another game .. all the promises that engine made and the implementation turned out to be another quake/ halflife/ unreal..copy.. GRAW has so much more when you put them SIDE BY SIDE !!!

DO SOME READING

:g_withgrin:

So you admit the engine is a few years old huh?

<_<

Version 6 you say though? I wonder what exactly was updated in version 6 indeed. It sure wasn't the visuals. Although, a game isn't built on visuals alone. But those are seperate problems for other threads. :whistle:

Edited by Stalker_Zero

It sure wasn't the visuals.

If you have a system that can run it the visuals are extremely nice. The lack of AA can be disregarded for the most part at a high enough resolution. I barely notice it. The game is real sharp looking otherwise. And sooner or later they will more than likely churn out some hardware that can do the deferred lighting and AA at the same time. When that time comes this game will look extra nice. I like the idea that GR:AW will just look better as time goes on.

So you admit the engine is a few years old huh?

<_<

Version 6 you say though? I wonder what exactly was updated in version 6 indeed. It sure wasn't the visuals. Although, a game isn't built on visuals alone. But those are seperate problems for other threads. :whistle:

I'm diversifying from the thread's It's a joke topic a little but

You must be looking at a different GRAW to me Stalker... because mine looks great

not only does it look great it has atmosphere and compared to the likes of HL2

[arcade shooter] there is a distinct feel to the graphics you call old... it has class [like in Saving Ryan] it's not all about high gloss such as HL2 where everything has a kind of sterile look.....

The Original GRIN Diesil engine was developed some years ago, but like all good solid engines it can stand the bolt-ons unlike HL which had to be rewritten....and this is reflected in the finished product...I have never played on such a well detailed map !!! and I don't mean stick on light sources and fixed objects like HL and Co. . Yes HL2 has movable objects but it must be a 10th of what’s here......

I think you come from a different camp, one where it needs to be the latest greatest model

with twin turbos and N2O where it screams away at 300+ FPS and everything is sunshine....

I come from a camp where if works don't break it and the GRIN engine works...It might be your system is struggling with the demands of the GRAW platform ..like many others and even my own until I upgraded... But that is called progress my friend.....[sounding a bit matrix here lol], I think this is the most demanding PC game I've ever installed... cos I admit even I am pushing my PC @ 1920x1200 all ON.

:thumbsup:

On a final note and a bit off topic. Please, please, please, please can you American stop using the phrase "could care less".

It's "Couldn't care less" meaning that someoone cares so little that it's impossible to care any less I.E. they care the absolute minimum . . hence 'i couldn't care less'.

If you say 'I could care less' then all you are saying is i care a certain amount and i could care less. That there fore gives us no clue as to how much you do or don't care.

So, it's "I couldn't care less" ok. ;)

@ Poita and totally off topic: I can't believe you put this out there and no one commented :rofl:

Okay. Game On!

From what I understand, KRP 56, you haven't bought the game yet.... if you are basing all your opinions on the demo, all I can say is you haven't even begun to "see" what this game offers.

NO! I haven't bought the retail game and what's a demo for if not to draw a conclusion as to what the retail version has to offer. It offers the SP only player very little. :( I could only play the campaign so many times. Replayability is what I'm looking for and GRAW doesn't offer that. GR did - Firefight,Defend,Recon etc. and many mission mods. :D Those fancy graphics and effects only go so far and heck I wasn't even all that impressed with the gameplay compared to GR. I'm hardly rich so $50 is way to much for so little. :(

NO! I haven't bought the retail game and what's a demo for if not to draw a conclusion as to what the retail version has to offer.

Well, I would have thought a demo allows to a "taster" of the full game, not necessarily to draw conclusions. I guess if you are financially contrained, don't buy the game. But, you are seriously losing out. The SP campaign is far far better than the demo. As I've said before, it's all down to personal preference. But, for me, I've never seen a game with so much replayability. The AI react so dynamically, each level is different (and require different tactical solutions) each time you try it. But, it's your choice.

On the other hand, if you haven't tried the full version, maybe you aren't as qualified as you think to complain about it? Just a thought....

Edited by Trident-za

On the other hand, if you haven't tried the full version, maybe you aren't as qualified as you think to complain about it? Just a thought....

You guy's crack me up. :rofl: Now you have to be qualified to complain? :wall: Anyhow I'm not complaining just stating the facts. GR had a lot to offer the SP. GRAW doesn't and I'm very doubtful GRIN's going to change that by adding the other SP gametypes. :(

You guy's crack me up. :rofl: Now you have to be qualified to complain? :wall: Anyhow I'm not complaining just stating the facts. GR had a lot to offer the SP. GRAW doesn't and I'm very doubtful GRIN's going to change that by adding the other SP gametypes. :(

I guess "qualified" was not the correct term to use... but whatever. If you choose to play GR1 instead, good luck to you. Enjoy it :)