How to squeeze and play back FRAPS movie.

Danish1705

Guys, i just know how to use FRAPS. Just now i played around with it. I capture in-game video and too my surprise its around 3.6GB!!!!

So here is my questions, how do i compress it down and what type of software that i can played it back? I try to use VLC and it is a no go.

Please help anyone :(

---danish

Like you said yourself, you need to compress the source video.

FRAPS records footage with an uncompressed encoder, which means exactly that.

There's a number of tools you can use to encode your FRAPS recording, most of them are fairly complicated (at least the ones I know). Try that Windows MovieMaker thing, that's suposed to be quite easy. There are some other easy to use apps out there, just google around a bit on "avi to wmv" or something like that (yes, I suggest you encode to WMV9 to avoid codec issues).

Ok i have go the link. I can see lots of bugs/unstable, so which one u sugget im using?

---danish

Ok i have go the link. I can see lots of bugs/unstable, so which one u sugget im using?

---danish

Ive downloaded v2.1.2 where it said the stable version. Ill give it a try man thx. :thumbsup:

---danish

I have made several videos with Fraps and then converted them to .wmv format by using MS Movie Maker. That is the MSMM that comes with service pack 2. The one that is with service pack one is much less useful. Some people have had issues using Movie Maker to the point they found it unusable. I was lucky enough that it worked for me, although MSMM does freeze or hang quite a bit.

It worked fine in most cases unless you dump 3 or 4 Gbs of Fraps video into MS Movie Maker. Then it would slow to a crawl working with it, and take forever to convert the finished product to a .wmv file.

I d/l'ed VirtualDub and toyed around with it. It will compress fraps video into many formats if you have the codecs for it. Yes DivX is one. Most codecs are free as far as I know. Virtual Dub will do much more then compress.

It will crop, sharpen, edit your video and it is freeware. Those are just a few of the features. The downside, is it takes some effort to learn how to us it. I haven't started another video project lately, but I will use VirtualDub on my next one. Just to compress if nothing else.

http://www.virtualdub.org/

If you have a need for a freeware sound editor, google audacity.

smokin.jpg