ASKING FOR A RECALL FOR GR:AW! (Sound Card)

may require a motherboard chipset driver update, which can be found here.

Thanks Dannik, my motherboard comes with an auto update program, I got the drivers you have listed for my sound hardware the day MSI put them up.

I even talked to Creative and MSI on the phone and they said I have the latest drivers for my sound hardware.

OK ,Someone needs to do a search for a post from last week regarding updating the OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll. There are newer versions on both those files that may fix voodoo's problem.

NEW OpenAL32.dll version is 6.14.357.13

NEW wrap_oal.dll version is 2.0.8.0

Directions for updating are in the previous post

Good Luck

OK here is the link

http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t...452fe71c875c9c8

Edited by Stealth-IRA

OK ,Someone needs to do a search for a post from last week regarding updating the OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll. There are newer versions on both those files that may fix voodoo's problem.

NEW OpenAL32.dll version is 6.14.357.11

NEW wrap_oal.dll version is 2.0.0.0

Good Luck

OK here is the link

Thanks for trying to help Stealth-IRA, but no change for me :(

hmmm, you think cuz my sound hardware is a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit and not a Audigy or X-Fi :unsure:

Edited by V00D00

Good Luck

OK here is the link

hmmm, you think cuz my sound hardware is a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit and not a Audigy or X-Fi :unsure:

Check my post again..i had the old file numbers listed.

You need to install both those files into Windows/system32(The installer will do this part for you)(they will overwrite the old outdated files). Then copy those files from Windows/System32 1 by 1 and paste them into the C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Answer yes to whether you want to replace the old files.

I can't answer your question because I have an Audigy Gamer card that works fine with GR:AW,but I think EAX 3.0 is EAX 3.0 no matter what card is running it

Did you do this?

Edited by Stealth-IRA

Brettzies you said:

Your whole thread is based on a FLAME. If you can't stand the heat...well you know the rest.

sorry It's not a FLAME, It's telling others what happen to me and how I feel what I can do as a consumer as to the poor answer from Ubi I got on this issue.

As for you Brettzie giving me "advice", sorry can't take advice from anyone who calls others school yard names, just can't respect that. :(

Are you kidding me? The title of your thread "ASKING FOR A RECALL FOR GR:AW!" says it all. You want them to take it off store shelves and have people send in their copies because the sound doesn't work for you individually? That's what a recall is in case you don't know. You don't think that's just a little inflamatory and childish?

I appreciate that you have a problem, but instead of asking for help you chose to make it an issue about "consumer rights." Your original post says nothing about asking if anyone can help or has a solution to the problem. You just stated your problem as if it was final. The good people of gr.net offered up solutions on their own.

As for taking my advice see below:

Moving this post to tech support, as it's more appropriate there.

Looks like your getting it whether you like it or not. Obviously many resourceful people have come to your aide with suggestions and tech help. What happens if it fixes your problem? Should we call off the recall?

I realize you are frustrated with the answer ubi gave you. Maybe you are new to PC gaming, I don't know. If so, welcome to the world of technical problems and incompatibilities. DirectX is suppose to take care of all this, but guess what, Creative wants to do their own thing with EAX and everyone that tries to simulate it, seems to fail. In addition, new video drivers come out every week it seems. They fix stuff, they break stuff. You roll the dice and take your chances.

The game should work out of the box(which says DirectX 9.0 compatible Sound Card btw). I'll give you that. There's just so much involved with varying hardware often these problems don't surface till the game hits the street.

I just get tired of seeing these broad sweeping statements about how ubi or GRiN or whoever, screwed us, lied to us, betrayed us, stole our girlfriends, and don't support our technically "compatible" sound cards! And AA for that matter! They shouldn't just give us a refund, they should let us keep the game as well, and free upgrades! That's the least they can do for our trouble.

Nope, he has a serious cause for complaint.

Having done a tad spot of research.... if you don't use EAX mode, you do actually miss out on ALOT of sound. Sometimes it's important too.

I have an Audigy, it gets recognised as "Generic Hardware" , get allsorts of issues with the sound, a drive update fixed not having gun fire and what not, but without using EAX your missing TONS of sounds. Not just environmental audio, but the important stuff.

Try turning off EAX for you lucky people, and try playing the game again. Notice how alot of enemy gunfire doesn't get heard, bullets ricocheting near you aren't heard.... it takes away alot of positional sense. Even with 2 speaker 2d Low Setting sound you should have this. Even a ping would do LOL

I just get tired of seeing these broad sweeping statements about how ubi or GRiN or whoever, screwed us, lied to us, betrayed us, stole our girlfriends, and don't support our technically "compatible" sound cards! And AA for that matter! They shouldn't just give us a refund, they should let us keep the game as well, and free upgrades! That's the least they can do for our trouble.

Nope, a refund would suffice. heh

You might also find this useful.

This package enhances your Sound Blaster® Audigy® SE or Audigy Value audio device with EAX®4.0 ADVANCED HD™ capabilities. It also installs the following applications to control your audio device's audio settings:

That's my latest driver set, came out on 20th April.

And it still doesn't show up with the soundcard's name, so it's not just limited to onboard sound, alot of Audigy's aren't getting attention neither.

Having done a tad spot of research.... if you don't use EAX mode, you do actually miss out on ALOT of sound. Sometimes it's important too.

What about peope who can only run the game at 800x600 with all setting set to low. Aren't they missing out on the greatest capabilities of the game? Is that justifiable enough for a refund? I mean they definetly are missing out, just like with the sound.

I have an Audigy, it gets recognised as "Generic Hardware" , get allsorts of issues with the sound, a drive update fixed not having gun fire and what not, but without using EAX your missing TONS of sounds. Not just environmental audio, but the important stuff.

Here's the thing about this whole <blank> thread. I have the same problem! I set it to software and I move on. The problem does need to be sorted, but the way this topic started is ridiculous. It's the mentality that gets to me, not the problem. What's more is, I don't think people really want a refund, I think they just want to send out ultimatums and threatening statements so the problem will get attention. Maybe it's the only avenue they think will work, but it still comes off as childish.

And it still doesn't show up with the soundcard's name, so it's not just limited to onboard sound, alot of Audigy's aren't getting attention neither.

Like I said, welcome to the world of PC gaming.

By the way, I myself, have now crossed over into the realm of village idiot by trying to explain multiple times why I hate the original intent of this thread. Now that's "serious cause for complaint." :hehe:

Voodoo, looks life life it saying "upgrade your soundcard then" to an Audigy / XFi (EAX supported). Also if your in the realms of buying such games, then to be honest mate .. your best off doing that because this isnt the only game that will have this requirement, usual upgrade treadmill.

I need to shell out 200 or so on graphics card to view this game good, so ... hey ho.

Good Luck

OK here is the link

You need to install both those files into Windows/system32(The installer will do this part for you)(they will overwrite the old outdated files). Then copy those files from Windows/System32 1 by 1 and paste them into the C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

I can't answer your question because I have an Audigy Gamer card that works fine with GR:AW,but I think EAX 3.0 is EAX 3.0 no matter what card is running it

Did you do this?

1st I want to thank you for your help :)

and yes, I installed both files as you requested 1 at a time and let them be replaced by the new ones, and sad to say no help :(

turn eax off. it has been stated to be buggy. Desmond from Grin said he would notify us in the patch comments as soon as it was fixed to turn it back on.

And some cards are recognized at Generic hardware but still uses all it's functionallity.

Edited by ROCOAFZ

Good Luck

OK here is the link

Did you do this?

1st I want to thank you for your help :)

and yes, I installed both files as you requested 1 at a time and let them be replaced by the new ones, and sad to say no help :(

To be honest I think the issue is your sound hardware. I had a SB Live! 24 bit, and I was getting odd issues all over the place so I ditched it. I picked up a SB Audigy 2 Value card. It's MUCH better and a heck of a lot more stable than Live! ever was. Live! cards have known issues, and have been known to cause issues. My suggestion would be to upgrade your sound hardware. You'll thank yourself in the end. If you spend a little extra and get an X-Fi as well you can get some truely high-fidelity audio as well with a 5.1 speaker setup. That's my next upgrade. The Audigy was just to avoid the hassles the Live! card was giving me.

The game runs fine for me. The only issues I've had are some graphical issues associated with corrupted text at times. (small dots appearing around the text characters) and one random skybox issue. All other times I've been okay. I've also had 2 crashes that were Game related pre 1.06 and 2 that were the fault of the Windows OS. So the game is a bit flakey at times, but the content contained within, and the intense CoOp play make it all worth it. They'll fix it all. Have patience.

Edited by denkigrve

First off, always make sure that your speaker/headphone output setting on your sound card matches the speaker/headphone setup you have connected to your computer.

Creative has for some reason not defined an exact standard for EAX, meaning that all cards that have, say, EAX 3.0, don't necessarily have the 3.0 features implemented the same way. Then on cards with EAX 4.0, the differences in the EAX implementation is not always just the features added on top of the 3.0 features - the "old" 3.0 feautes may be calculated differently than they were on the 3.0 cards when they were new!

Other card manufacturers can as you know have EAX supported on their cards (or the software can emulate it), but when Creative themselves cannot uphold their own standard, what would you expect from the copycats? In other words, the entire EAX deal is kind of a mess - and it is very hard for a sound designer such as myself to make the game sound the same everywhere if I was to lean on EAX extensively.

Because of this, I decided to use EAX with great caution in GRAW, and not have the performance of the in-game sound lean on it at all. Initially, I had great hopes, and for example I made tests to see if we could maybe use EAX realtime distortion on the crosscom voices. This way, we could have had the distortion change dynamically so that your teammates' radio voices were more distorted the further away from you they were standing (would have been cool, huh?), but that didn't work to my satisfaction - we discovered a bug that Creative was aware of but didn't have a solution for.

In the end, the game doesn't use any features from any version of EAX above 2.0 - so if someone told you that you need 3.0 to fully support the sound, that person is very much misinformed.

If you're having problems with EAX on, you can turn it off without losing anything. Someone said here that he lost sound quality (or missed out on certain sounds) with EAX turned off - this I find very strange. If anything, it should be the other way around - you should have problems with EAX turned on.

People might have such a firm belief in EAX and its supposed positive effect on game audio that they imagine GRAW sounds better with it turned on. However, as stated above, the truth is that EAX doesn't add much to GRAW. A 5.1 or 7.1 sound system does.

I still nurture a hope, though, that EAX can become what it is supposed to be. I hope in the future, that sound hardware will be as important as GFX hardware - because sound is half the experience, and still it is so completely overlooked. By software developers, by hardware developers, by end users.

Nice reply Desmond.

I had the feeling the muffle distance effects were EAX and some reverbs? Or maybe I mean to say ... when we switch EAX on, what exactly does get enhanced?

I can understand why people are ill informed, until someone making a game states exactly what you have said, how else would anyone know how much it is leaned on for EAX or not!? We are the mere end user and assume that if the feature is implimented it must be used :blink: for the purpose it was intended for.

I thought it would be leaned on more due to graphics being so heavily used with the game, so I was thinking audio was the same deal.

I see your point about EAX being that messy that you will have a hard time with a standard across the board on everyones PC. Sounds like the "plug and play" mess way back when (plug and pray :( ).

What you mention of what "could" have been possible would have been superb, but if the support isnt all that great & you had bugs with it .. fair enough.

Thanks for the explanation GRiN_desmond22.

I do note one other bug and haven't tried fixing through xml. If you shut eax off the next time you start graw it's back on... at least with my audigy it is. Might be something small for the june patch to include.

Thanks for the explanation GRiN_desmond22.

I do note one other bug and haven't tried fixing through xml. If you shut eax off the next time you start graw it's back on... at least with my audigy it is. Might be something small for the june patch to include.

Yeah that's a bug we'll have to fix.

@calius - Yeah the sound muffling when heard through walls and stuff is EAX. There might be a little reverb added as well, but not much. Most of the reverb heard when you fire is pre-mixed yours truly - with the help of EAX it changes character depending on how much walls and buildings surround you.