Third Person Mod

I think he meant exactly that! :(

Personally I don't mind, but for mp it might be difficult. That brings the whole idea of a server and client version and what not...

*I like sp coop right now so :thumbsup: , Im going to have everyone of my coop buddies dl/add lines to .xml, when it's out/ready.

Edited by Beers

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes if it has to be on a per mission file basis that's easy todo. It's only about 5 lines of code and overriding the mod files in the bundle is easy with the local folder dealy. Just pop the modded mission script in the local mod folder and it works fine.

What i actually meant was that the camera would tilt, rotate and aim as it does already. Im not sure that the aim mechanics for third person can be modded outside of just the camera distance and angle.

Well yes if it has to be on a per mission file basis that's easy todo. It's only about 5 lines of code and overriding the mod files in the bundle is easy with the local folder dealy. Just pop the modded mission script in the local mod folder and it works fine.

What i actually meant was that the camera would tilt, rotate and aim as it does already. Im not sure that the aim mechanics for third person can be modded outside of just the camera distance and angle.

Hey, did the new patch help with the prone situation, your able to look down at the character now, no? :)

*also does the zoom work with thirdperson? If not, I have an idea... maybe you can trigger the firstperson event when you right click as well, that way it goes into the zoom using first person. (hope that helps.)

Edited by Beers

<OFF-TOPIC>

YAY! :grin3:

Well as I already said: Grin rocks! :grin1:

Wish we had such a dedicated team working on our dear SvM as well. <_<

</OFF-TOPIC>

I can't wait to try this one out. According to those videos, using this in MP can be rather tricky, but in SP/Coop it would definetly rock. I'll have my eye on this now then...

Like Grin Willie said GRAW for PC isn't made for 3rd person. Besides if it became third person then you won't get to see the textures as well as in first. But I wouldn't mind 3rd Person :whistle:

Nah, you see the gun textures and everything fine, watch the videos...

Edited by Beers

yeah SvM is kinda lackin talent i think ...

like linkn and all them are pwnin , thats sad :alien:

BTW ANYONE KNOW WHERE TEM GOGGLES ARE , I WANNA MAKE SOME OAKLEY'S \O/

What are you talking about? (I did not understand you) :(

So that basically means everyone except nemon has to walk around headless untill he decides to release his compiler? freaking A! I wish someone could make this into a mod already, and keymap it to like say F1, and make it just like the 360 version, where it is slightly looking over mitchells right shoulder and if you press say TAB, it will switch to his left, to get a better view around a corner, you know what I mean right? it would be sweet, and make the game alot easier, because while I was playing in third person (headless of cours) I found it to be a whole lot easier and a whole lot more fun.

So that basically means everyone except nemon has to walk around headless untill he decides to release his compiler? freaking A! I wish someone could make this into a mod already, and keymap it to like say F1, and make it just like the 360 version, where it is slightly looking over mitchells right shoulder and if you press say TAB, it will switch to his left, to get a better view around a corner, you know what I mean right? it would be sweet, and make the game alot easier, because while I was playing in third person (headless of cours) I found it to be a whole lot easier and a whole lot more fun.

Sorry but I think you didn't get the point, which is: Third person view is currently "unstable". Nemon was able to bind the TPV to a key in mission 1 but had to edit something inside the mission and would basically need do to the same with each mission in order to get the toggle working. Besides, even if it would be stable, it won't be really helpful because since the engine hasn't been optimized for that, the camera doesn't stay where it should be - no matter if you place it over Mitchell's shoulder or behind him - the camera doesn't stay directly behind him or follows his moves.

For example, if Mitchell moves to the left, the camera doesn't follow him, but simply "observes" how he disappears to the left. Let me see if I still have the "bug" video I sent nemon when we tried to get it stable.

Found it -> See for yourself!

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

The prone glitch should be a little better after the patch right? As for the camera, it still works using the camera_settings.xml right?

Personally I just want you to release it, judging from they way your post is messaged you have tried really hard on this one :grin1:

(also alot of people have camera issues without the head anyway, we all just want the head to show :) )

Keep Positive :P

Edited by Beers

Yeah seriously, I just really want the head to show, you obviously got it to show, do you mind sharing how?

you mean now?

Im sure when Vth_F_Smith is ready he will release the .xml and bin files we need... :grin1:

(if you meant how: he decompiled one of the .dxe files and changed a variable with some assistance from nemon, then they managed to keymap it and implement some camera work, level by level, I hope it still uses the camera_settings.xml, as we can try to fix/edit the camera. If not i still don't mind....)

Edited by Beers

Can you guys honestly say that this doesn't look cool "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj2l_HfLHt4" but warning it's LOW quality, boring, and porly edited, but I think that 3rd person would be so great in this game, and the graphics or whatever work fine, I don't understand why people are so against it.

"he decompiled one of the .dxe files and changed a variable with some assistance from nemon, then they managed to keymap it and implement some camera work, level by level" so your saying there is NO way for us "average joes" (not smart people) (me) to get the flipping head to show? because seriously, that is all I care about.

Can you guys honestly say that this doesn't look cool "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj2l_HfLHt4" but warning it's LOW quality, boring, and porly edited, but I think that 3rd person would be so great in this game, and the graphics or whatever work fine, I don't understand why people are so against it.

"he decompiled one of the .dxe files and changed a variable with some assistance from nemon, then they managed to keymap it and implement some camera work, level by level" so your saying there is NO way for us "average joes" (not smart people) (me) to get the flipping head to show? because seriously, that is all I care about.

it looks cool, but the one big thing were missing is the peaking around corners. Now i know with the xtreme settings you can peak around corners. IM going to be working on hybriding them and see what i can get with bumpsticks and xtremes together. Hopefull ill come out with somthing.

It looks great!When mitchell's head will be in his right place for sure I will try it , maybe is not so comfortable for gaming (even if it looks so cool) but could be really usefull to grab new introvideos .

Okay now I did a little experimenting this weekend + came up with a playable 3rd person camera : but it still needs a bit of tweaking.

Note : if what I'm posting here doesn't work, it's because it's nearly 4:00am :lol If there's any significant mistakes I'll try + come back to address them.

GRAW version 1.16 - DVD version US retail :

Note I play in a 16:10 widescreen LCD.

Aiming without zoom works great. The camera lags a bit while tracking the player sometimes but it actually allows you to switch from a left handed or right handed perspective.

Leaning in this version doesn't freak out too much like the two cams previously in this thread. From what I can tell all this does is place the camera in a Cylinder behind the player and allows you to pan + track the Mitchell avatar's actions.

Camera tracking while strafing is a little loose, but it does actually track.

Issuing orders seem to work properly, least from some of the testing I did on this level.

SOMETIMES the camera would freak out - the problem is mostly triggered by when Mitchell would change height by climbing stairs + so forth. Though looking back at it now this may be caused by the fact that I loaded some older saved games (pre 1.16) to test this. Starting a new game from scratch seems to work nicely with the camera.

<camera name="person" type="target">

<camera local_offset="-100 175 25">

<controller track_target="false" type="distance" distance="200" lerp="0.08"/>

<controller track_target="false" type="cylinder" radius="100" dir="0 0 1" lerp="0.8"/>

</camera>

<target local_offset="-100 170 25">

<controller type="distance" distance="0" lerp="0.5"/>

</target>

<camera name="new_person" type="target">

<camera>

<controller type="distance" distance="200" track_target="false" lerp="0.9" max_distance="300"/>

</camera>

<target local_offset="0 0 0" >

<controller type="behind" distance="200" lerp="0.9"/>

</target>

</camera>

<camera name="anim_cam" type="target">

<camera>

<controller type="distance" distance="200" track_target="false"/>

</camera>

<target local_offset="0 0 0">

<controller type="behind" distance="200" />

</target>

</camera>

</camera>

What's happening more or less is this apparently places the Camera in a Cylinder behind Mitchell. It's hard to explain but playing around in game a bit + you'll get a feel as to how this camera actually behaves.

Current Bugs (as of July 3rd, 2006) that I noticed:

Shooting while prone has a lot of problems - the camera sometimes goes into the ground while prone. (it's seems fixable by adjusting the height of the camera somewhat).

Zooming wipes out the crosshair + doesn't bring up a "Sniper" UI or whatnot. Also the Zoom level is borked in the version I'm playing around with (my fault due to playing around with the camera file a little too much).

I haven't tested this with any Sniper rifles or a Heavy machine gun. The SCAR-L seems to play and handle nicely in 3rd person though.

When you walk backwards with Mitchell too much, he'll walk out of the Camera FOV.

To do list :

Play around with the Cylinder value - I'm guessing this may potentially tighten up how far Mitchell can move horizontally on the camera.

Add a knockdown effect (I know the 1st person camera is missing this also). Mitchell's teammates if you shoot them long enough will fall down + try to get themselves back up. If anyone can add that same effect to the Mitchell model while in the 3rd person camera it would make for a terrific visual + gameplay addition.

UNLOCK MITCHELL'S HEAD - this would go an insanely long way to making this look complete. Nemon, VTH_F_Smith, please help us out on this one.

Personal gameplay note :

GRAW is actually pretty fun like this in 3rd person - visually it's also *very* impressive when you see Mitchell running around making dives + slides along the ground in a tight 3rd person camera.

I'll try + get some screenshots + maybe a movie later if I can get FRAPs working or something.

Edited by Roy_E_Brisby

grawws13se.th.jpg

http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grawws13se.jpg

(leaning pics deleted since they'll give people the wrong idea of how leaning is actually working)

Forgot to mention : there's no shaking in this version like with the camera with the "behind" tag. . The crosshairs + mitchell for the most part is in stable + playable condition. Just need some tweaking to work out some of the problems previously noted.

Small update :

The bug with the camera + a y axis change (going up or down stairs) appears to happen if you run down the stairs.

If you run downstairs, the camera remains at upper level, but the actual Mitchell model will run downstairs, leaving you with a floating camera about 200 or 300 above Mitchell's actual location.

It seems to track well if you walk downstairs though.

This is tested on the first level in the very beginning training area (near the highway) - where you can walk or run down a flight of steps.

Edited by Roy_E_Brisby