LOOK @ YOUR GR:AW DISCS

I would like to inform everyone or advise everyone, to look at your GR:AW Discs (all 4) before trying to install the game.

I know that sounds like a NO BRAINER, but here is the deal.

I looked at all of the discs and when I got to #4, (as UBI described it) it had "Laser Burns"!

Will have to return GR:AW for replacement!

Now that is QUALITY! NOT

Here they are, see for yourself :unsure:

link to image

link to image

link to image

MODERATOR EDIT: Large images changed to link. Please note guidelines for image posting in our rules.

Edited by ZJJ

I've heard that manufacturers don't use premium CD/DVD media is mass production.

But THAT's funky. Go get yourself another copy.

I am a production manager at a CD and DVD replication facility. Replication means "mass production". Duplication is small runs where each disc is burned on a CD-R or DVD-R. This is where "premium CD/DVD media" would be relevent. In "Mass Production" each disc is molded and made from scratch from polycarbonate (plastic) pellets. There is no such thing as using "premium CD/DVD media" since each is made using a stamper.

Anyway, not to bore with the specifics, the disc 4 that is shown is completely unacceptable product coming out of a plant that UBI would contract with. It looks like they had a dented stamper. A small piece of dust will create the marks that you see on that disc. That being said, since it is disc #4 I would assume that there isn't that much data on it. Maybe 100mb or so. Disc drives read from the inside ring to the outside so I would assume this damaged part is outside of the data area on the disc. It might work perfectly but it sure is ugly.

Hey UBI, if you want some quality discs send me an email!

I am a production manager at a CD and DVD replication facility.

Hey BiggSlic, maybe you can answer a question I've been wondering about.

It blows my mind why Ubi can't sell DVD versions of GRAW and R6: Lockdown in N. America like they do in Europe. I was at my local EB Games and asked if they are expecting any DVD versions of GRAW in, and the person said "no". She said it's because it's cheaper to produce 4 CDs than one DVD. Is there any truth to this?

It blows my mind why Ubi can't sell DVD versions of GRAW and R6: Lockdown in N. America like they do in Europe. I was at my local EB Games and asked if they are expecting any DVD versions of GRAW in, and the person said "no". She said it's because it's cheaper to produce 4 CDs than one DVD. Is there any truth to this?

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=646351

I bought the DVD version of GRAW from EB Games it comes with two disks. The game DVD and another one that is titled 'BUILDING THE WARFIGHTER'. Now LD was a diferent story that was DVD for Europe and Asia only.

Edited by Eldest_One

That happened to my Half life 2 disc, i noticed it a few days after installing the game. I didnt take it back though because I thought they would have said I did it :S - I am not sure why the disc had a mark on it like that because I take care of the games I buy.

Anyway, I made a backup of the game before installing :)

Edited by whoa182

No way, she has no clue! In the quantities they are ordering they probably pay around $0.25 for each CD in the set and if they just bought one DVD it would be around $0.45. Now they probable even pay less than these prices but they are conservative numbers. Then you have to add the packaging, it costs much more to package 4 discs than 1. Not only from the package itself but the labor. A single disc is almost 90% of the time packaged using automatic equipment...there is no packaging machine out there that can automate a 4 disc set. So they pay to have it done manually. That is expensive, probably just as expensive as making the 4 discs.

I imagine they are concerned about the number of DVD drives installed in PC's. Maybe they feel they will lose some customers if it can't be installed using CD's. I don't know, seems crazy to me since they sell the game on DVD in Europe.

Eldest_one has pointed out a DVD version above

I was expecting to get a box of 6 CDs or something. I pre-ordered my GR:AW from a local Game Stop store in NYC. I was very surpised to find 2 DVDs. One is the actual game disc and the other is a 15 minute movie about the making of a warfighter.

I was happy to only have to use one DVD though. I can't imagine anyone in the US not having a CD/DVD ROM drive. Every new system has one and they're $30 (or less) to buy seperate. I have had CD/DVD ROM drives in my PCs since about 7 years now.

The CD game issue in the US is a big mystery to me as well.

silent_op

beastoftheast, I was referring to programs like Steam. It gives you plenty of time to pre-load stuff before the game comes out. Then on release day, you can just start playing.

The first SiN episode will be ready to go as soon as I get home.