Taking a Hit - Lack of Immediate & Noticable Effect/Punishment

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- if hit your aim is always thrown off (similar to GR1)

- if hit while stationary, you can not change stance or move for ~1 sec

- if hit while moving you temporarily slow down (lasting ~1 sec) or fall (random, or depending on where you have been hit) (i.e., extension of the GR1 model). That will also make the guy pulling the trigger more aware of that he actually did hit, and give him a chance of actually making a kill...As it is now, it is too often you actually hit somebody on the run, but then he/she gets out of view (as the maps provide an extensive number of shelters, always in close vicinity).

Definitely a necessary addition. I still have not run the demo yet as it kept crashing (and yes my system EXCEEDS the minimum requirements), but if this element is missing, it SHOULD be patched.

I thought there was a feature called "body awareness" to add a better feel for your virtual body by having the weapon view and the ability to see your feet (or whole body when sliding into cover).

So ... where is the "body awareness" when you get hit?

You beat me to it. I was about to ask the same thing. GR didn't brag about body awareness yet if you look at both games, GR seems to have more awareness in the sense of injuries and hits than GRAW does. There definitely is a need to have more awareness of when one gets hit and more of an effect on our efficiency.

I do not agree that rets should always be full bloom but rather, like in GR, close at a turtle's speed. Also, when running full speed and being hit I believe it is not necessary to make you top but rather give you the ability to run while making some sort of dive or fall, or just allow you to keep on running. Still, there needs to be some indication that you have hit someone or that you have been hit.

I do not agree that rets should always be full bloom but rather, like in GR, close at a turtle's speed...

I think we mean the same thing, but to clarify, I did not mean that the ret. should stay fully opened after being hit. I meant it should go fully opened and then return (with usual or slower speed).

Also, this thread was meant to talk about possible fixes to the immediate & brief effects & punishments of being hit. The more long lasting effects is a chapter on its own, but probably a more complicated issue. I would naturally like to see the persistent slow ret. from GR1 (when hit in arm) back in GRAW, but as a first and more important step I'd rather see some immediate effects & punishment to enhance gameplay and improve game immersion.

I like a game to have some sort of effect when you are shot also. (I think thats what were talking about here right?)

In COD2 you can shoot someone in the face point blank and they can raise up their gun and shoot you. I hate that and its probly the most annoying thing about the game to me. It has a nice grenade effect though when you get too close to one. I think it should be the same effect when you are shot, i kind of feel the pain with it. It definatly makes you aware you were too close to the nade.

Americas Army also has a nice effect when you are shot or too close to a nade and it screws your shooting and hearing all up too. You could still kill someone but, its much more difficult to do, most likely it would be luck. You are also left injured for the duration of the game and could bleed to death if a medic doesn't patch your wounds. Even then you are still left with the effect of being wounded, you can' t move as fast and your aim is messed up.

I couldn't agree with you more on the need for a penalty of some type when you are hit by a non-lethal shot, but did u notice that the Grin guys dont seem to come around the forums anymore....so i dont know if they will see this as being an issue worth fixing bc its not broken.

Not all of these are "new" (and some of the examples are trite), but . . .

Oblivion - melee weapons hits affect your viewpoint.

Doom3 - can't remember if your viewpoint is knocked sideways, or if you just get a red mark on your screen . . .

Undying - hits knocked your viewpoint to the side, similar to GR1

Condemned - haven't played it, but I'm guessing there's some reaction when you're hit.

What other new games out now allow body reaction when being hit ???.

Maybe there is no other new game that allows it, and maybe there will never be an other new game that will allow it ...

But Ghost Recon did! And so should Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter!

This is no other new game, this the Gost Recon sequel! :)

What other new game has 'body awareness', a feature to create a feel for your virtual body?

No offend, but .. just because all other new games dont allow body reaction when being hit, GRAW shouldnt, too? ;)

Well, honestly I don't pay much interest in what other new games have. I'm only concerned about GRAW.

I think what's need to be said, is said in this topic, and there seems to be agreement, i.e., for those that don’t want to read the whole thread, when taking a hit, we need an immediate punishment:

-make the ret/view being knocked off

-give us a scary dull "thud" sound (with lots of base)

(+ for any additional effects like falling etc)

That will make the game play and immersive feel of GRAW improve, and for mp it is merely necessary to avoid the "arcade" feel as it is now.

PS To all GRIN dev's wb from the working holidays! Now get to your stations in "el Stockholmo"! :thumbsup::g_withgrin:

Sorry, but that's making excuses. If all the other FPS games jumped off a bridge, would GR:AW do it too? GR:AW is touting itself as a more realistic FPS compared to the action shooters like BF2 ... having no reaction whatsoever when hit is a step backwards. Little details like this are a big contributor to the overall feel of the game and what separates the men from the boys.

Hmmm, that is one thing in GR that was excellent. Getting hit from an area and panicking because you got that dense bullet hit "thud" ... then ret and aim where all out of sync, you would try to go prone, straighten up to locate where the shot was coming from. It made you panick like you would do if you were a target ...

I think it needs more jolt to a bullet hit and more disorentation than it has now.

I agree - in GR1 you really knew when you'd taken a hit. I'd love to see this implemented in GRAW. Another nice effect from GR1 was the sound of your ragged breathing when you were wounded.

When I'm under heavy fire in GRAW the sound effects are awesome, and it definately makes me feel a bit panicky. Well done to GRIN for getting that right. The addition of the above features would just add to the whole immersion.

i agree, the points mentioned in this thread would make a great addition, especially in multiplayer. i think grin has done very well creating the right "feel" to things in other aspects of the game, so i believe when they chose to implement it in a patch, the experience will certainly be awesome. :g_withgrin:

maybe they should do it similar to the explosions in day of defeat, where your vision was all blurry and shaking for a few seconds. that effect makes you vulnerable for a time by disorienting you. perhaps this could be done with some sort of randomness, like in rpg games where there are certain chances of things happening. i personally would prefer this over just making the ret go wild because in reality, being hit by a bullet would leave most disoriented for a moment (even the ghosts).

anyway, some sort of effect when being hit is definetly needed!! :lightning:

Well I realize now that what we should have been asked what do you wanna keep from GR1, instead of what all new stuff do you want in it...

I'm gonna call this game AW it doesn't deserve the Ghost recon in front of it.

AWfull game, is very incomplete and I really doubt it can be fixed. MP is maybe fixable but this shot impact probably takes a hell of a reprogramming. Only way I see to force Ubi/Grin to do that job is by not buying the game yet.

Background/issue

Also, the only way you notice that you have been hit is to look at your "health" at bottom left, i.e., there is very limited immediate and noticeable effect of taking a hit ...unless that first hit actually kills you ;) . I and other AFZ squad members think this is kind of boring/unrealistic and not good for game play.

NB! I'm NOT talking about more long lasting effects of taking a hit (that has been previously discussed) I'm talking of a possible additional brief (1-2 sec) "shock" of having a bullet buried into you or your body armour - an effect which in current version of the game simply doesn't exist. :wacko:

Am I missing something, WHEN YOUR HIT does your cross-com hud up not flicker???

Mine does every time a bullet strikes or an injury is taken, for example when your in the blast radius of a grenade or the like....

:unsure:

Keep posting guys this is a good point, it's taking time for us to realise what makes GR so different and what heritage GRAW should maintain.

Dying in GR always came as a shock, you kind of really felt it, I'm so busy sometimes looking at the eye candy that I forget that some of the subtle stuff like this is what made the original GR rock.

Keep posting guys this is a good point, it's taking time for us to realise what makes GR so different and what heritage GRAW should maintain.

Dying in GR always came as a shock, you kind of really felt it, I'm so busy sometimes looking at the eye candy that I forget that some of the subtle stuff like this is what made the original GR rock.

How true that is: Dying in GR always came as a shock !!! still does... 0:)

:gun::bounce:

You said it all with that. :o Not only do I feel it I about jump outta my chair every now and then. :o=