1800xt or 1900xt? Much difference?

Hey guys. I got a couple of questions for you:

What are the pros and cons of going with a x1800xt or a x1900xt?

Is the extra money worth it for the 1900xt?

Why do my frame rates drop like crazy after going around a corner? I was playing fear getting around 60fps on a x850xt but everytime i went around a corner they dropped to 19. Whats up with this?

Also should I get a 500w, 550w or a 600w PSU since i'm getting the card and my psu only outs out 420w. Thought maybe I could do some crossfire later on.

Edited by Moezter

Hey guys. I got a couple of questions for you:

What are the pros and cons of going with a x1800xt or a x1900xt?

Is the extra money worth it for the 1900xt?

Why do my frame rates drop like crazy after going around a corner? I was playing fear getting around 60fps on a x850xt but everytime i went around a corner they dropped to 19. Whats up with this?

Also should I get a 500w, 550w or a 600w PSU since i'm getting the card and my psu only outs out 420w. Thought maybe I could do some crossfire later on.

ive purchased a x1800xt512mb just thursday last week. i based my decision on their benches: http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php...id=58&Itemid=29

also the price difference is quity hefty: x1800xt 512mb - 300 euros, x1900xt 460 euros, x1900xtx 530 euros..... and the gain in performance x1800xt => x1900xt => x1900xtx is not worth the extra money (IMO).

when i have build up my rig with the new enermax 500w psu, ill report back

just built up my new rig:

amd 64 3700+

2 gig ocz pc-3200

sapphire x1800xt 512mb

samsung hdd 200gb

perhaps im upgrading to 2 sata-raid hdds and soundblaster x-fi, but not tomorrow... :lol:

graw is running just fine with all cranked up. im happy. :)

Edited by Brainman2k

Get a good name brand PSU, watts don't mean everything. You need a good amount of Amps on the +12v rail, preferably 30+ which is standard with most PSUs. Don't get a cheapie either, your PSU is the source of your system, if your PSU fails, it can take down everything with it, including your new video card. Usually every gaming PC I build, I will put about a $100 PSU in it. Some good name brand PSUs are Antec (Highly recommended by almost everyone) , OCZ, Tagan (I have built 2 gaming rigs with a Tagan 480W "TG-480-U22" PSU with no problems. If you're curious what kind of video card they used, one was a X850XT PE, and a X800GTO, both with 1GB of RAM and an AMD 64 3700+ San Diego Core CPU), PC Power & Cooling. Now those PSUs I mentioned are very good brands, but there are some other pretty decent brands out there, just make sure you read a few reviews on the PSU you plan to buy before you buy it. Tomshardware.com (They just had a live stress test on a few PSUs), Anandtech.com, and this guide by David Hammock would be a good place to start. Here is the link to the guide:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...02&page=1&pp=20

ok, after building up my new rig and installing graw i played some time without tweaking the xml. got some noticable mouse-lag. so i followed the tips concerning the xml-tweaking. and what should i say? ok, when the game finishes loading a map thers some slight stuttering for 2-4 seconds, but after that.....smoooooth like butter.

yay! :charge:

I have to say, the rule of thumb is..., the more you pay the better things should be, but... I have just bought an eBuyer 550watt PSU and at £20 it was silly money and I didn't expect much because of the price but... its great; very stable voltages, and quiet too. it even has pretty lights. I am well impressed, as I was going to go for one of the £60 PSU's if it didn't run my system.

The system is more lively, and this was before I installed the X850 pro (now modded to X850 XT PE speeds)

Just the other side of the fences opinion.

as for card comparisons; I think we are getting to the cdwriter point of diminishing returns and the cost diff doesn't give you the comparable performance benefits.

Edited by darkan9el