Proposition to Ubi/GRIN

I can't say I support you here with my own efforts. I have already installed and played the game pretty much non-stop since last Thursday. I'm having fun with it and that's all that matters to me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you think that any more money is going into GRIN's pockets with the sale of the game? As smart businessmen UBI would most likely have a retainer that would be paid (the final payment for services rendered) once the game is in the state that they would accept. Fortunately, Matt Wagner let us in on some of the inner workings of UBI when Lock On was released. They were on the hook for up to a year to patch the game to remove the majority of the bugs. Ultimately it was up to UBI to decide when that was. It was the second patch with Lock On, and it wasn't quite enough. UBI said "we're done" and left it at that.

GRAW most likely sold more copies than Lock On did, but usually contracts are similar to each other and GRIN is most likely on the hook until UBI says they're done. There are other things to be considered, such as did GRIN deliver what UBI requested? If so then that would be bad, as UBI isn't likely to add something that they didn't intend to add as it would cost them more money to pay GRIN for extras.

Don't assume that GRIN makes more money just cuz you guys are buying more copies. They may have a piece of the pie, but most likely they don't. UBI is about the money and since GRIN was basically unproven they had the upper hand in negotiations.

If I see one of my informants at E3 I'll ask him to find out specifics.

Edited by ruggbutt

Why would you think that any more money is going into GRIN's pockets with the sale of the game? As smart businessmen UBI would most likely have a retainer that would be paid (the final payment for services rendered) once the game is in the state that they would accept. Fortunately, Matt Wagner let us in on some of the inner workings of UBI when Lock On was released. They were on the hook for up to a year to patch the game to remove the majority of the bugs. Ultimately it was up to UBI to decide when that was. It was the second patch with Lock On, and it wasn't quite enough. UBI said "we're done" and left it at that.

GRAW most likely sold more copies than Lock On did, but usually contracts are similar to each other and GRIN is most likely on the hook until UBI says they're done. There are other things to be considered, such as did GRIN deliver what UBI requested? If so then that would be bad, as UBI isn't likely to add something that they didn't intend to add as it would cost them more money to pay GRIN for extras.

Don't assume that GRIN makes more money just cuz you guys are buying more copies. They may have a piece of the pie, but most likely they don't. UBI is about the money and since GRIN was basically unproven they had the upper hand in negotiations.

If I see one of my informants at E3 I'll ask him to find out specifics.

As they're unproven, GRiN definitely has more at stake than UBI. They need a hit. If GRAW were experiencing lackluster sales, the motivation to fix any issues may be just a contractual obligation, instead of giving the fans what they really want. That may seem like a small difference, but I believe it'll give us a higher quality product in the end.

I support the Ghost Recon franchise. I believe in it so much, I bought the latest iteration knowing I don't yet have the ability to enjoy it.

Can see where you're coming from and had I not already cancelled my pre-order I would have sat on the game waiting for the patch improvements!

As I'm running AGP with a 5950 I need a major upgrade to get GRAW to play and having cut everything to the wire i.e. not getting the best spec bits I'm still looking at a £595 bill to get playable performance.

At that cost I have to wait for the patch and community feedback on it's success before I splash the cash. My rig plays everything else I'm interested in and GRAW was the only new FPS I waited for. :(

So it needs to prove itself before I spend my hard earned......

In concept this is a good idea. However, this makes the assumption that GRIN is making the profits (or loss) from the game. GRIN was contracted by UBI to create a game under xxx guidelines for xxxx amount of money in xxx days, unless otherwise specified by UBI. All profits or losses from this game will be towards UBI, not GRIN. I personally don't think this campaign will have much of an affect on their bottom line.

my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

In concept this is a good idea. However, this makes the assumption that GRIN is making the profits (or loss) from the game. GRIN was contracted by UBI to create a game under xxx guidelines for xxxx amount of money in xxx days, unless otherwise specified by UBI. All profits or losses from this game will be towards UBI, not GRIN. I personally don't think this campaign will have much of an affect on their bottom line.

Thats exactly what i thought. Well said ZJJ. It's up to UBI... (were screwed :lol: )

Edited by Reb

I would add this to those that have not yet purchased GR:AW PC:

If you truly think the game has potential, and you really want GRIN to step up and help us realize that potential, you need to buy the game. It is the only way we have to help this happen.

If you don't trust UBI or GRIN to step up and realize the potential or you don't think it is possible, then move on. There really is no reason to be here or to continue posting if you don't think it will happen or help.

Ok, since playing the demo and finding there are solutions, I found myself liking the new game play.

Sine I'm more optimistic than others and, I'm trying to avoid what Ubi has done with GR2 (got cancelled) after they realized they screwed up and decided to cancel instead of fixing it.

So, I have deal to propose:

In showing of good faith, that I am interested and willing to pay, I have bought the game.

But I have not installed it. I have not opened the wrappings. I have the receipt taped to the box.

In 30 days, I and others (who like to participate contructively) would like to see some kind of progress, that UBI/GRIN are making fixes/patches and I and interested partys that visits GR.NET would like to see and comment on contructively---no whinning.

We would like to see weekly progress and updates.

In the end of 30-days, I and others would have a choice of:

1) keeping the game

2) return the game and re-buy it to extend the 30-days, giving 30-days extensions to gamers and UBI/GRIN to show good faith.

3) return and buy other games that directly competes with UBI, i.e. COD2 or Armed Assault.

wishest and additions are already posted in this forum started by Colin.

Please keep it civil and respectful. If you can't, go here

So if they put the name Ghost Recon on BF2 you'd be ok with that? I guess you don't remember how crappy GR2 was.

GR2 as a console game was moderately successful. I say moderately because they missed all the PC revenue. Which brings me to my next point...there was also a large online community by then that was severely disappointed by the cancellation of the PC version. IMO, these two items, i.e. the sales from GR2 console version and the PC community support, showed UBI they could and should pursue the next version (GRAW). So, the individuals who supported and purchased past editions (GR1 and GR2) helped pave the way for newer editions (GRAW). I can't speak for all the others that have commented on this post, but this is the point that I was trying to make...showing UBI/GRiN that there are people that will buy GRAW and keep it if it meets our expectations, meaning...fix the slight problems that are out there.

I didn't play BF2 as I heard it wasn't up to GR coop standards. I can't comment on that part of your statement.

On a personal note, had GR2 been released on PC, yes, I would have bought it and waited patiently for the next installment if the experience were not to my liking.

With all respect ZJJ, Colin further validated our point today by stating, "What will go into this game after is wholly dependant on sales."

Additionally, Colin further states that, "We rely wholly on Ubisoft to dicate how much time and effort is spent making this game better in the future..."

IMO, this game will not get better without showing UBI (and GRiN) that there's support for it. The best way to show support is to purchase GRAW.

I think that, we, as a community, should take a long term view on the GR pc series of games. If we want the series to develop further and come out with quality products with reasonable frequency in the future, we must extend our full support.

To do that, we must see that Graw sells well, not only by buying ourselves but by getting others interested as well. I had started a thread about it some time back. I think the question is not whether Grin or UBI is directly benefitting from the sales or how they are sharing profits BUT --- a product that sells well, and more importantly, shows the potential of a large future market, normally gets more support and more future investments.. We must show, by our actions, that the GR pc series has that potential. The absence of a GR sequel on the pc, for 4.5 years, has clearly shown that the powers that be, need to be shown that potential.

With the release of Graw pc, after 4.5 years, a re-start has been made in the GR pc series. The game has many, many plus points and improvements but the MP is incomplete and the game has some bugs. A patch is due, fixing all that. To make this process more effective, we should clearly and concisely state our problems and wishes, without resorting to flaming. That is what is happening to a large extent, atleast in this forum. There is a very big chance that within the next 45/60 days, there will be many more happy customers/players.

To do that, we must see that Graw sells well, not only by buying ourselves but by getting others interested as well.

on that end i know im pretty resposable for around 10 copyies being sold (introducine it to my bf2 clan and keeping them informed about devolments the last 3 months)

A patch is due, fixing all that.

if all can be patched in one go ...........

don't take me wrong i am hopefull that it will be fixed, but to expect it in one patch ???

(i know you are a positive mind so don't take it personally)

we should stick together as a community and be patient,

there was a lot of BS about not having mod tools, and how impossible it was to mod at this stage, and look at the mod forum, talent is on the way to make some great stuff out of nothing, (Baja is there too... can't wait for his first release :P)

have some faith in the dev team and the community, show it with constructive replies or if you have the money, buy and keep the game, for all you negative people who fear to lose money, this could be the collecters item of the century, a shipped incomplete game fisrt print!

june is patch month, so lets see what it brings, and if like all other ubi patches it makes things worse in the beginning (think RvS first patch and [GR] limp) it can be set straight with the next patch

I'm must be a strange person.... I like tha game.

Sure it's got a lot of issues that need attention and the game doesn't feel finished.

This was a nice forum until the demo was released now it's all about whining over n over about the same things. When the forum was down for maintenance I actually hoped it would be down for a long time.

It woould supprise me if GRIN even reads this forum any more. I sure understand them not responding. Specially since they got attacked when they were nice enough to visit grnet when on vaccation.

I'll play GRAW 'as is' until 1st patch comes around and then wait for the next end the next etc.

As for You who dont like it - return it - sell it - give it to your dog. I dont care but please stop your pointless whining that only destroys the good spirit at grnet.

(sry for bad spelling and gramma)

Enos Pork, maybe you didnt read (past tense) the beginning of the post.

So your post is excused. <_<

As far as everyone who posted, correctly, either you support this idea or not, everyone who replied so far have valid points. :thumbsup:

Whatever game that came out under Ubisoft, or whoever the game developers are, its still the customer that pays in the end.

Thats why as paying customers, we should voice our opinion on what we want.

If you're in Starbucks and you think they put too much foam in your coffee, I believe its your right to ask for another coffee of your tasting or just ask them to remove "just some" of the foam. If you think, a little cinnamon will perk the taste, go ahead and ask for it.

If you don't like Starbucks, there's another coffee shop just around the corner.

Me, I get kidney stones from drinking coffee too much, but I LOVE STARBUCKS! :rolleyes:

GR:AW forum is buzzing with a legend on board: BajaBravo.

With this news, my aspiration that GR:AW will finally rise to its full potential, with Ubi or not.

I can already see it: Modders+GRIN= 1+ GB patch. Wow, would that be the biggest patch ever released?

In GR1, I've seen a mod get to above 512MB:

Frostbite: 237600kb

Black Sun:24000kb

HX5 Red Sun: 115000kb

Operation Stabilize: 173000kb

i absolutly agree I have been playing Tom clancy games since day one. I remember alot of people being disapointed by Raven Shield while some newbies esp. loved it and its ok just different . I here no one is playing it anymore.

I stopped playing GR1 sometime before christmas for the first time since the game hit the shelfs. I was in a Ghost recon clan for awhile but they got distracted anyway I loved the online gameplay. I think I may have broken all of my old Ghost recon 1 habbits ...... well maybe. Anticipation is over , I am now getting into GRAW with alot of optimisim and am also doing a first and thats serious feedback to everyone about how I feel about this new version of OUR GAME.

This is a turning point , the lockdown joke took care of itself and even the new guys felt enough distain to rebel against it. Ill leave the light work to them. Redstorm UBI better listen up and get strait about the rainbow 6 series or its a total gonner.

GRAW , well like I said this is a turning point with all of this talk and talk by gamers like myself that have sit back and watched it come to this....we have some deamands I agree and they better be heard. I too hope this game is watched and supported by the developers like a hawk . Its not anytime to sit back and think the game is sold and done . Its time to for some real feedback and action that I hope completely reflects how much the people who care about this game really feel , without saying a word. This maybe just one post to some but im sur its echoed by many.

This maybe just one post to some but im sur its echoed by many.

You can't get to ten if you don't have one. :)

I do want to inform others that Rainbow Six/RavenShield Players, that this game is far from over.

Its less active now due to the more mature players who play the game, the way its meant to be.

It just seem inactive due to the fact, the mature players have "real life" issues such as family and jobs. So scheduling conflict tends to arise.

RvSGaming has just posted a new mod: Rs 747 Remake For Rvs. This is an awesome map if you ever played it on RB6. If you're old skool, I don't need to remind you about that. :thumbsup:

Games like RB6 have longer shelf life due to the unselfish modders and clan players who play them. This utilities and resources are the lifeline of a game. A game can have all the technological breakthrough, but if you dont have the hardcore gamers/ modders that support the game, its nothing but a new shoe that will eventually fade away.

Game Developers who invest into these modders/gamers, "retains" their names in the business of game developments, because the modders prolong/enhance/debugs/promotes the game over and over.

You can't get a better PR that way without hiring some PR agency.

I hate to say it, but some game developers are even smart enough to release the SDK even before the game hit the shelves. Result: Gamers had modsssss (plural) even before they even get half way thru the life of the SP mode. Then releasing the game with 2 additional games :whistle: (hint).

stolen game engines by some 17y/o hackers chased by INTERPOL/FBI---you can't beat that publiticity.

Even if the game boast about some technological breakthrough, the developers were smart enough not alienate the old skool players with their older gaming rigs. Sure the water doesn't shimmer or crystal enough to see what underneath it, but the gameplay is not hindered because your gaming card this have DX7 or 8, or can't process all the bells and whistles of AA's.

• 2 weeks later...