The 4 slot Co-op limit needs sorting

This 4 man Co-op ###### needs sorting ASAP, already my worst fear is happening. Any night on our TS you could join up and jump on a game, join the server and have a quick blast with some others.

Not now, already there's little rooms with 4 people in and always someone left hanging around waiting for a slot or some others to join so they can make yet another 4.

This is bull.

If I'm lucky enough to be playing then I feel bad for anyone left out. If I'm the one left out then I feel bad cos I can't play.

This is utter Bull, we downgraded from 9 players to 4 after 5 years of waiting (that's ignoring all the other crap like the Gamespy rubbish, the Wrong CD key after every round and numorous other Little niggles).

4 man co-op restriction was set for your average home user on a DSL line.

GR1 CO-OP over DSL lagged big time and crashed almost always with 6-9 players.

I remember trying to practice for SR2004 with our clan and it was impossible to run any of those missions on a DSL 512 line with a full squad in server.

If your running a dedicated server you'll be able to increase that 4 man limit to whatever your server can handle, but as GRIN have said that will be trial and error.

We'll just have to wait and see what the outcome is.

I remember trying to practice for SR2004 with our clan and it was impossible to run any of those missions on a DSL 512 line with a full squad in server.

If your running a dedicated server you'll be able to increase that 4 man limit to whatever your server can handle, but as GRIN have said that will be trial and error.

Thats utter bull, almost every one of our members can, and have, on a regular basis run [GR] servers using their standard home DSL and it was MORE than playable. Get your facts right before posting please.

And to make out it was set as a restriction for the average home user because of their connection is rubbish. I MIGHT understand that if there was a direct IP server option as in [GR] but seeing as their isn't how can that be a valid excuse.

Thats utter bull, almost every one of our members can, and have, on a regular basis run [GR] servers using their standard home DSL and it was MORE than playable. Get your facts right before posting please.

And to make out it was set as a restriction for the average home user because of their connection is rubbish. I MIGHT understand that if there was a direct IP server option as in [GR] but seeing as their isn't how can that be a valid excuse.

IF you spoke to me like that in real life DAI i'd knock ya freekin head off.

I've been runnin GR servers for the last 4yr's

And i know my facts.

Even dedicated servers running GR1 can not cope with more than 16-18 players alot of the time and with nades on the game lags like ######*.

There only a few servers running on ASE that can cope with a full server and nades turned on.

And you can bet they are mid range servers sitting on a 100mb pipe.

I know what, why don't you bring up a server on your DSL line, display it on ASE and see how many people you get in before you can't play the dam game.

EDIT :-

IF you search through Bo-Grins posts you find one where he states the reasons for 4 man co-op and the required up/down stream bandwidths required.

It may also be the same post where he mentions editing an XML config file to increase that 4 man limit.

This 4 man Co-op ###### needs sorting ASAP, already my worst fear is happening. Any night on our TS you could join up and jump on a game, join the server and have a quick blast with some others.

Not now, already there's little rooms with 4 people in and always someone left hanging around waiting for a slot or some others to join so they can make yet another 4.

This is bull.

If I'm lucky enough to be playing then I feel bad for anyone left out. If I'm the one left out then I feel bad cos I can't play.

This is utter Bull, we downgraded from 9 players to 4 after 5 years of waiting (that's ignoring all the other crap like the Gamespy rubbish, the Wrong CD key after every round and numorous other Little niggles).

I must say I agree with everything you are saying Dai-San. I've been vocal about the 4 man CO-OP since day one. I'm only relying on everything that has been told to us that this will be resolved. I have faith that GRIN will Patch the CO-OP issue and all the other problems for the June Patch. In the meantime, come on UBI, 4 Player CO-OP IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. Plus, its a huge step backwards.

I constantly find myself in a lonely room on my group's TS. Maybe 3 others decide to join me. Mostly everyone is still on the GR1 TS channel playing a good solid 12+ CO-OP custom mission. Besides the GR:AW 4 Player CO-OP, many members in my group are having sound problems running GR:AW and TS. No one likes using that forever in your face, chat box. All real CO-OP groups use VOIP coms. Some members even have problems hearing the video briefings (like myself). For the most part many of my Phoenix Soldiers are waiting to see what the June Patch will actually fix. Until then, it looks like its going to be just me and maybe 3 others who venture into the lonely GR:AW TS channel.

Playing CO-OP on GameSpy is no picnic either. After every mision I get disconnected. It even sometimes tells me that my CD Key was rejected. How is that possible? I don't have some damn cracked version. Playing CO-OP on Game Spy in complete radio silence and having to type commands is just out annoying. I wouldn't even have to do that if the CO-OP were big enough for a good number from my group to join in on a mission.

Please, no one tell me to use Hamachi or BattleLAN. To have to fall back on those programs is just out right insulting. Those programs are fine for testing out a demo, not the full release.

GRIN, I'm backing you all the way. I'm always telling all the Phoenix Soldiers about how much GR:AW will change for the better after the June Patch. Please GRIN, Please.

silent_op

Running a 9 man server on any normal Co-op mission is no way a problem unless you start using HX 85 or more opponents.

And if the co-op limit in GR:AW was just an XML file change then considering the XML file structure has already been ripped apart by some people don't you think it would have been posted up already?

I'm not saying it can't be increased but it's more than just the one easy change in an XML file I suspect and in the meantime we are stuck with this half way house.

I was actually quite a supporter of this game before release and even gave it the benefit of the doubt after the demo but I'm starting to feel (and I doubt if I'm alone) that we have been slightly mislead in the actual path GR:AW was taking under GRIN's guidance. I do not even blame GRIN for this and believe they have given us as much as they could in their remit but am firmly under the impression that GR:AW, far from being the successor to GR in a multiplayer sense was actually firmly, 100% a SINGLE PLAYER game and GRIN have added what they could (in the time they could) to make it multiplayer.

You'll be able to unlock the 4 man restriction soon.

I hope so AT least for local LAN there will be no lag and you could have

a bash with your MATES !!!

BUT I'm waiting for LMS [last man standing] and team v team LTS [last team standing] with

a time limit option, the two clasic GR1 modes

Edited by viiiper

Last time I checked, several people were telling me that you can edit an XML file to do that? Would any of those experts care to chime in and explain where that XML file is? ABOMB bought a copy for our dedicated server and I can't find it.

Well those of us at Alpha Squad that have machines able to run this reliably (and at the moment that is about 4 of us) have been playing via Hamaci. There is clearly some good, and clearly some bad in this release.

The good:

-- very immersive

-- good team tactics are clearly required

-- the tangos are more entertaining that GR1 tangos ever have been.

The Bad:

-- team leder dies == mission over (I hope this is just a mission script "choice" made by Grin/UBI -- it is VERY bad)

-- 4 players is a HUGE problem/limitation

-- HUGE data upload rates from the server host (we have seen in excess of 5Mbit/sec for far longer than seems reasonable)

-- the whole "leaving the mission area thing" combined with the vary linear scripts is rather limiting to replayability (OK, I understand they want to spawn tangos etc, but in many places you are SOOO confined about where you can go that it is a bit silly, especially when there is no indication of which way the game wants you to go)

-- the silly team chat box that never goes away

The impression I get is that co-op play never really got much testing or QA by anyone who had ever played any serious co-op. That is a decision Grin/UBI are entitled to make, but it is one that has hurt my opinion of them.

My fingers remain crossed for the patch to resolve these and other issues. I also remain optimistic that many of the limitations of the missions are a result of design choices and are not fundamental to the game.

BTW, Alpha Squad's co-op servers regualry host in excess of 12 players fighting in excess of 100 tangos with nades/GLs going off without any server induced lag problems. I hope we will be able to achieve similar server performance with GRAW in the very near future!!

Last time I checked, several people were telling me that you can edit an XML file to do that? Would any of those experts care to chime in and explain where that XML file is? ABOMB bought a copy for our dedicated server and I can't find it.

in the bundle file ;)

sorry for bad formatting

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<stats_blocks>

<block name="server_settings">

<var name="name" type="string" default="GRAW Server" />

<var name="port" type="number" default="15250" />

<var name="dedicated_server" type="boolean" default="false" />

<var name="message_of_the_day" type="string" default="" />

<var name="game_mode" type="string" default="Cooperative" />

<var name="level" type="string" default="mission02" />

<var name="rounds" type="number" default="1" />

<var name="load_next_maps" type="boolean" default="false" />

<var name="switch_sides" type="boolean" default="false" />

<var name="max_players" type="number" default="32" />

<var name="auto_balance" type="boolean" default="true" />

<var name="max_deaths" type="number" default="0" />

<var name="friendly_fire" type="boolean" default="true" />

<var name="password_locked" type="boolean" default="false" />

<var name="password" type="string" default="" />

<var name="match_length" type="number" default="10" />											<!-- (Minutes) -->

<!-- Invisible settings -->

<var name="coop_difficulty" type="string" default="normal" />

<!-- Cooperative Game difficulty -->

<var name="max_ai_ghosts" type="number" default="3" />

<!-- (AI Players) Maximum AI controlled players -->

<var name="spawn_time" type="number" default="10" />

<!-- (Seconds) Time before a player may spawn after dying -->

<var name="forced_spawn_time" type="number" default="60" />

<!-- (Seconds) Spawns the player after this time, even if he hasn't pushed "Ready". 0 = disabled -->

<var name="resupply_ammo_time" type="number" default="20" />

<!-- (Seconds) How long a player has to be inside a supplied zone before he receives new ammo -->

<var name="teamkill_kick_limit" type="number" default="10" />

<!-- (Kills) After how many teamkills a player will be kicked -->

<var name="member_info_broadcast_interval" type="number" default="5" />

<!-- (Seconds) How often non-essential information about kills, deaths and score is sent to clients -->

<var name="max_move_without_ack_time" type="number" default="2" />

<!-- (Seconds) How long a player may keep moving without server verification. Lower will make it harder for cheaters and people with bad connections -->

<var name="auto_balance_limit" type="number" default="2" />

<!-- (Players) How many more people on one team the server allows before forcing a change -->

<var name="both_side_ready_required" type="boolean" default="true" />

<!-- Players on both sides need to press the ready button before match starts -->

<var name="players_ready_required" type="number" default="2" />

<!-- (Players) How many people in total that has to be ready before match starts -->

<var name="allow_sidechange_under_match" type="boolean" default="true" />

<!-- (Players) How many people in total that has to be ready before match starts -->

<var name="map_cycle" type="string" default="" />

<!-- (Mapnames) A string with space separated map names, "mp01 mp02 mp05" -->

</block>

</stats_blocks>

<!-- PICKING A PORT

Choose a port number that is registered for general use. Registered ports range from 1024 to 49151.

If you do not have a registered port to use, review the list of assigned registered ports and choose a port in the range 5001 to 49151 that

is not in use. Ports 1024 to 5000 are also registered, however operating systems use ports in this range for client programs. 

Consider registering a port you choose to use. 

Choose a port number that does not contain patterns or have a known meaning. That is, avoid port numbers that more likely to be used by

others because they are easier to remember.

Do not use ports 1 to 1023. These ports are reserved for use by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).

Avoid using ports 49152 through 65535. These are dynamic ports that operating systems use randomly. If you choose one of these ports, you

risk a potential port conflict.

-->

It's from the demo, I still wait for the full game package to be delivered.

Edited by Striker-1991

This is bull.

4 is fine any more and it aint GR.. go play BF2

with 4 u keep in control else everyone humps off like a load of sheep.

if u play it as intended the commander controls the other... how on hell could he control 20 loose cannons

evedentually u never played GR1

Dogs

Come again? GR was never 4, how do you figure it is not GR with more than 4, we've been playing with 9 for 5 years!

If your squad can't control more than 4 guys, you need a new leader.

:huh:

if u play it as intended the commander controls the other... how on hell could he control 20 loose cannons

Dogs

Lets see, how many COOP tourney's have I played in? Azz Cup 2003, SR2004, AS Xmas FF, SD 2004, SR 2005, Omega Cup 2004, and probably another one or two I missed. I've been playing coop for the majority of the time I've played GR1. So yeah I never played GR1 COOP with 9 guys. :rolleyes:

The 4 limit is a major is a step backwards. Red Storm got it right with 16 players for 360...

Well considering the shape this games in performance wise at this point it may be the right number as anymore would bring it to a complete standstill rather than the verge its already on now. Would I like more players available in Co-op? Absolutely Im pretty much a straight Co-op player as well and havent had a decent Co-op game since RvS. But I think unless GRIN optimize the engine a little better 4 may be the "safe" number for now

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying 4 player limit is good.In fact i want the opposite like most.

Our clan has always been big on CO-OP, when we were in TAW ( the same group of guys that went off to form TRT) we always did CO-OP as well as running one of the most popular MP servers on ASE (12-18 months ago).

We won the EOCW comp, came 5th in SR2004, failed obismally at SR Xmas bash.....blah blah...., but to us it was about getting online with a bunch of lads, talkin crap and working together as a team and havin some fun.

I always join the MP GR1 servers that have the most players, purely because the more human player in there the better.It's man against man, it's real skill against real skill and wits (except for the occasional hackin noob).Thats the buzz and i get it.

The point i was making from the start was, this limit was set by GRIN for reasons they felt that would suit most servers running the engine they know better than anyone.

They never said that limit could not be extended based on server capabilities/connections and that it would be something that would be moddable.Either thru upgrade or editing of files.

So what i'm saying is give it a chance, chill, let GRIN or the modders sort it..... as i'm sure they will in due course.

-- HUGE data upload rates from the server host (we have seen in excess of 5Mbit/sec for far longer than seems reasonable)

Not saying it is or anything but maybe theres alot of client to server verification going on ( and hopefully part of GRIN AntiCheat thats in development).

Here's hoping :thumbsup:

We got handed an unfinished beta with a bunch of bugs. The getting in a coop server aspect is painful and then it crashes to 'cd key is funky'. :bs: Hosting is no better. Total lack of coop support there. :wall: I feel insulted and -$50. Lets face it it just wasn't ready for release. Once in game it's ok, not great just ok. Weps controls are asinine at best.

HELP!!!!

On play once in game a 7.5

On coop play (what this site deals with mostly) a3. No respawns my butt. :o= Team leader dies, game over,eck05.gif

In game controls a 2.

On the rest a 2.

Ill try again when the patch comes out. Im too depressed to play under these conditions.

and to think I waited 5 years for this...

I got $50 bucks says the staff aint too dog gone happy either but cant say it. ;)

But I do have hope. :rolleyes:

I got $50 bucks says the staff aint too dog gone happy either but cant say it. ;)

Oh, we are not, and we can and have said it. And believe me, nobody is hoping more for an absolutely BLINDING patch next month than me!

This is bull.

Dogs

No one can control 20 loose cannons. If YOU play with LOOSE CANNONS, then maybe you need to find a group that is not a bunch of run-n-gun shoot everything on site kind of crowd.

A true CO-OP group does not run around like a bunch of undisciplined BF2/CS players. To play true CO-OP is the complete opposite of being loose cannons. CO-OP is all about psychological immersion, more so than other game types (except for maybe SP).

silent_op

Posted by ROCKY

Oh, we are not, and we can and have said it. And believe me, nobody is hoping more for an absolutely BLINDING patch next month than me!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I heard that!! I feel better now, Rocky is on the job, and he ain't happy either.

Guess we will all have to GRIN and bear it for a while... :rofl:

Edited by .45 cal Sushi