HL2 v GR:AW comparison

This is directed to noone so pls dont attempt to outwit me cuz I concede in advance. I feel that there is not 1 game that has ever been perfect. GR1 was good, RVS was ok, LD.....moving on, OE was good, Fear was good....The list goes on. To me, it was the teams, the matches, the competition that made gr1 great. GRAW doesnt give you that chance. Many ppl are comparing it to bf2, is it ubi's counter to EAs bf2? I think what it boils down to is the way u look at it....half empty or half full. You have the right to pick and choose how you see and feel about the game.

This has to be one of the most mature posts I've read in a long time. true, we perceive things how we see them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, Raven-Shield is one of the best games i ever played from UBI. It has a very good and solid gameplay (like GRAW), but on top of that, it ran good and didnt have any major technical issues. They used an engine that proved itself over the time (unreal). I still don't understand that on such an promissing and long awaited title like GRAW they've gone with the DIESEL (Disle, DEISEL, dunno how to write that :lol: ) engine. On what other projects is the engine used before? :wacko:

Technical issues just spoil the whole for of playing a game for me. Playing a game should be entertaining and not frustrating...

I was actually about to start a topic about HL2 vs GRAW but not regarding the technical aspects or graphic differences.

I am more interested if anyone noticed similiarities between the "creepiness" factor of GRAW and HL2?

In the demo (it's the only thing I have played so far ... I don't have the game yet) I definetly got some HL2 flashbacks ...

Creepy empty urban environments. Far away, inexplicable echos and sounds that seem anything but friendly.

Then all of a sudden you round a corner and you find yourself face to face with ... well more than a couple of times I totally expected to see one of those tripod-thingies squatting to take a dump, swivel around startled to look at me, then rear up, roar and fire that disgusting gun of his at me.

Instead I found myself facing mexican soldiers, but yet ... the adrenaline dump was there all the same.

Did anyone feel the same sense of "the next corner we turn we are getting hammered?"

The passage between spooky empty streets and a plaza or an alley where they are shooting at you from every direction is a real rush and I loved each one of them.

Yes ... technically GRAW and HL2 might be different but what about ambience? creepiness? excitement of the hunt? the rush of going from silence and quiet to a full-fledged storm of bullets???

I think that GRAW conveys "the hunt" (who's the hunter and who's the hunted) feeling damn well!

What do you guys think?

For me, Raven-Shield is one of the best games i ever played from UBI. It has a very good and solid gameplay (like GRAW), but on top of that, it ran good and didnt have any major technical issues. They used an engine that proved itself over the time (unreal). I still don't understand that on such an promissing and long awaited title like GRAW they've gone with the DIESEL (Disle, DEISEL, dunno how to write that :lol: ) engine. On what other projects is the engine used before? :wacko:

Technical issues just spoil the whole for of playing a game for me. Playing a game should be entertaining and not frustrating...

You DO understand that Diesel, the game engine Grin used is their own developed Game engine? it is an ever evolving engine that can receive improvements through time. Crytek uses the cry engine.

what fascinates me is that people want GRAW to look and Feel like GR. my best guess is that like in GR, they could empty an entire magazine without so much as recoil. I'll also gather that because GR had both wilderness maps and urban that GRAW should as well. but these same people have to understand that GRIN developed GRAW around a story and theme. the story for GRAW isn't what it was for GR.

GRAW was designed for an urban theme this time around. but if you've played through other missions than the first two or three, get to strong point and see that GRAW is capable of many things.

But to compare GR to GRAW is like comparing a VW bettle to a bentley. there's no comparison

You DO understand that Diesel, the game engine Grin used is their own developed Game engine? it is an ever evolving engine that can receive improvements through time. Crytek uses the cry engine.

what fascinates me is that people want GRAW to look and Feel like GR. my best guess is that like in GR, they could empty an entire magazine without so much as recoil. I'll also gather that because GR had both wilderness maps and urban that GRAW should as well. but these same people have to understand that GRIN developed GRAW around a story and theme. the story for GRAW isn't what it was for GR.

GRAW was designed for an urban theme this time around. but if you've played through other missions than the first two or three, get to strong point and see that GRAW is capable of many things.

But to compare GR to GRAW is like comparing a VW bettle to a bentley. there's no comparison

I understand that yes. I was pointing out that it was not a wise idea to use there own engine since the games they made in the past were not adopted by a wide audience. The engine didnt proove itself for a major game like GRAW. The cry engine is a master piece. When Far cry was released a couple of years ago, it was for its time one of the best looking games and still, it played very good on my rig (i had a very crappy pc back then ;) ).

I'm not comparing GRAW to GR. I have nothing against the gameplay/storyline etc. I think its very good. It's the technology used that makes it :( for me....

Edited by Reb

Raven Shield had its own problems on release, and anyone who played it from day one will tell you the same. Frag lock, Ladder lock, bad net coding, the list goes on. But people still play it to this day and brag how great a game it is, and how other games should be just like it. Just remember how many patches it took to get you there.

People will enjoy what they enjoy no matter what you tell them. Operation Flashpoint is a great example. The graphics leave something to be desired, but yet it plays bad even on some very nice rigs due to the fact that it has no Direct x support. There are more bugs than you can shake a stick at, but yet it is a very popular game online, and for Coop. It has also had more patches than Michael Jackson has had surgery.

My main point here is that what most people remember from older games is the end product after years of patching and gameplay, and they try to compare it to a new game right out of the box, not really fair in my opinion, but to each his own. Im sure in a few years from now if a new Ghost recon is ever made there will be scores of people yelling "OMG this in no way is like GRAW" and demanding changes. Give it time my friends. State your opinions and say what is wrong with the game, and hopefully within a few patches things will be fixed like in other games we play.

You DO understand that Diesel, the game engine Grin used is their own developed Game engine? it is an ever evolving engine that can receive improvements through time.

All engines are.

Yodasplat, I didn't get that feeling. It may have been because I was busy running in circles and sliding to pay much attention, but that cold, dry, empty feel that city 17 had in the early portions of Half life 2 wasn't apparent to me.

mexico is not at all like city 17

Simple reason why really. City 17 was made to feel like a WW2 Ghetto.

They did an awsome job making somthing similare in a video game by the city beeing like an inclosed fortress then having city blocks beeing searched and people beeing abused.. not to mention people beeing brought in and out by trains.

my hats off to valve for that one ... that city really became eary if you knew anything about the holocaust. (can only imagine living in 1940 now... im glad thats the past now, hopefully it doesnt repeat itself.)

oh btw, im still all for graw if it gains some peformance and adds more mulitplayer modes and uhm... (eruhm.... a m468)