HL2 v GR:AW comparison

just because i call it the "dumpster screenshot" doesn't mean im focusing on the dumpster. i never said HL2 was a corridor shooter, or that GRAW made efficient use of hardware resources, or that you didn't know what you were talking about.

all i said was that the screenshot you provided doesn't paint an accurate picture of the visuals in graw.

this is my ONLY point.

if you disagree with this, than i guess, as you said, we can agree to disagree. ;)

Point taken on the dumpster thing and someone here talked about corridors, sorry if it wasn't you.

If that is your only point then do you still feel the same way if you use your screens as examples?

-John

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

re-read, they're not bashing it.

This thread is comparing game art, nothing more. Noone is saying GR:AW as a whole is not worth playing.

Hate to take this further off topic, but I need to explain really quickly. There are a couple in here that have done some serious "bashing" maybe not in this thread. My response was from a pattern of behavior. I don't need to re-read anything, because I know exactly what has been said now and in the past.

re-read, they're not bashing it.

This thread is comparing game art, nothing more. Noone is saying GR:AW as a whole is not worth playing.

Hate to take this further off topic, but I need to explain really quickly. There are a couple in here that have done some serious "bashing" maybe not in this thread. My response was from a pattern of behavior. I don't need to re-read anything, because I know exactly what has been said now and in the past.

No offense, but if you are wanting to call someone out then just go ahead and do it. ;)

-John

I think a bigger problem is that what doesn't appeal to one, appeals to another. Don't Bash Grin for it, they did good work.

@ close to being 40, I find myself with less and less game titles that appeal to me.In regards to GRAW and the bugs or whatever you call them, the game has been able to do what the folks at UBI couldn't obtain with ravenshield. granted, CQB and GRAW are different game styles, GRAW has been successful in bringing true to life military strategy into the fold in SP mode.

As for MP mode, it's unfair and unjust to pass judgement on this game without the network code completed(dedicated server) and the network(gamespy) issues corrected as well as any new gametypes that will come with the june update. I saw a post where one complained about GRAW being like BF2 run n' gun. ok, there's a flip side to the coin. Play only on servers that run tactically minded games. Like tactical gamers MP/COOP or others who's sole intention is to do pure tactical style gaming. Gamespy isn't the best in town for looking into non run n' gun games. but how one plays GRAW is how they perceive it. Some like to rush out and jam the middle for a kill or two. I like to catch unsuspecting cannon fodder unaware to my presence and hit them good.

With the immanent(sp?) release of the update, which should contain mod tools, we can make GRAW a real exciting adventure.

Added: with GRAW using what appears to be ".bank" files for the maps and stuff, i'd also say it will be fun trying to see thieves steal other peoples stuff like in the past...

Edited by Papa6

My 2 Cents ...

I am running a 3.4 gig w/ x800XT 256 meg, 2gig DDR2 533 mhz ram, and get around 35 - 40 fps running 1024 x 768 everything med - high , low post effects, dynamic lighting off.

I thought the Shantytown map I played in multiplayer today looked good but with the settings I run I find the players look almost like orange plastic army men, and when people slide or run across the street they look like they are superimposed on the landscape, not part of it. I guess that is my main beef, and probably has something to do with high textures on objects and no dynamic lighting. The actual level architecture I actually find well done, some parts of Shantytown and Avenues maps I liked the graphics.

This is my GR2 system I bought (I did add one GB of ram for GRAW) so I now consider it a middle level gaming machine, but I find when I play games like F.E.A.R. or BF2 I am getting 45 - 50 for F.E.A.R. (med to high settings) and 75-90 for BF2 (1600x1200, high everything)

Everything in BF2 looks like it belongs (soldiers, landscape, vehicles) whereas in GRAW the players stand out from everything else. The only reason I have the settings as they are is to get decent frames, if I bump things to high as possible and the resoulution to 1280 x 1024 I only get 20 - 25 fps.

Other than a few textures that look kind of funny (that dumpster for example), GRAW looks simply stunning. Also, detail doesnt seem to diminish over distance as in most games, which requires tremendous processing power (just because of the sheer volume of detail). I think thats what slows it down, but frankly, I dont need to play a game like GRAW at 60 fps, after all, the only possible reason to need that kind of framerate is for super fast action, which GRAW singularly lacks :)

lol first of all, that dumptster shot was taken with ALL settings on low, and your comparing it to HL2 and all settings high. Sweet =)

Here is what a dumpster looks like, and if you did take it on setting high, you found the worst dumpster in the game possible to take a shot of, the only thing that makes graw looks bad is the lack of AA. IN MY OPINION, btw.

144442bc.th.jpg

Edited by XenoSoft

lol first of all, that dumptster shot was taken with ALL settings on low, and your comparing it to HL2 and all settings high. Sweet =)

Here is what a dumpster looks like, and if you did take it on setting high, you found the worst dumpster in the game possible to take a shot of, the only thing that makes graw looks bad is the lack of AA. IN MY OPINION, btw.

144442bc.th.jpg

Here we go again....

Just to clarify, I took that on a 3.2ghz P4 with 3gb ram and a gForce 7800GT 256mb card with all the game settings set on the highest it would allow. I was not specifically looking for a "nasty" spot in the game but just at a place early on that I was playing. It happened to represent what I was seeing in the game as I played.

It's not a conspiracy.

-John

144442bc.th.jpg

If you want to continue taking about dumpsters fine.

http://www.nyrgraphics.net/images/dumpstersbs2.jpg

Look similar to me, only major difference is I can actually read what the stickers say on the LD ones. ;)

You should also re-read the previous posts, the dumpster was never the focal point in John's comparsion. I even tried to illustrate that by showing a lot more than just a dumpster in the first LD screenshot I posted. Maybe I should have made the last sentence in my post bold.

The LD shots are the highest settings I can run that game with my x850XT. The GR:AW shots are the highest settings John can run GR:AW. Why can my lower end card make LD look so good, running with all the eye candy on high, while John's 7800 can't even run high textures in GR:AW? Does it make sense that the newer card, more powerful card, can't do more than mine, in GR:AW? His whole rig outclasses mine, yet he doesn't see anything better than me. And even when you force high textures, GR:AW doesn't magically become that much better looking than other games. There are other games out there that I can factually say preform better than GR:AW, which subjectively, I feel even look better. I'm not seeing anything in GR:AW that makes the hardware stress worth it.

But thats just my opinion.

No, I read the topic, and I did not see those images, Image shack or what ever were using is down it seems. because they don't show up, (even the image I posted doesn't show for me now.)

and, both dumpsters look of the same qaulity to me, I perfer the grey one because its a light base color allowing you to see th textures better...

I'll say it again, in my opinion Hl2 is only better because of its AA support, just my opinion =) Also Hl2 has a fantasic facial system as we all know.

I love graw but im sorry, graphicly HL2 > G.R.A.W.

grin should have just used the farcry engine :) at least then it would run smooth and have HDR + AA

very nice attempt grin & ubi , but sorry you guys have just fallen short.

and next time you make a FPS remember that a FPS always always always NEEDS ANTI-ALIASING!!!!!

ill be back when gr4 is out , IF it has AA.

something must be wrong..

coz i can see a major graphical increase in GRAW compared to HL2... i run everything on high (most things) in graw @ 1280x1024 w/ 8x AF med textures and low dynamic lights with a av fps of 40-50.

I love graw but im sorry, graphicly HL2 > G.R.A.W.

grin should have just used the farcry engine :) at least then it would run smooth and have HDR + AA

very nice attempt grin & ubi , but sorry you guys have just fallen short.

and next time you make a FPS remember that a FPS always always always NEEDS ANTI-ALIASING!!!!!

ill be back when gr4 is out , IF it has AA.

LMAO! You guys really give me a good laugh. AA this, AA that, there's a update around the turn ahead. You guys just don't get it. The issues should be fixed. FARCRY while revolutionary as it was back in it's day, wouldn't work as a tactical shooter, it was a oooo and ahhhh for kids to cream over. What is happenening here is that GRAW is weining the crowd out involuntarily. Either you're going to hate it, or you're going to love it.

GRAW does have issues with bugs...at the moment. But you guys need to remember that GRIN has always been in here and truly listened to what we said and clarified things and answered questions. Not too many devs do this.

As for the AA + HDR comment, ATI X1000 series cards CAN handle HDR wihtout a hitch. It's said that Nvidia can't :rofl: . IMO, ATI is coming back like the big fights in a Rocky movie.. Jab, Jab, righthook, Left hook.. :rofl:

Edited by Papa6

there's a update around the turn ahead. You guys just don't get it. The issues should be fixed.

While you're pooh-poohing everyone else, why don't you tell us exactly whats in the patch. Exactly what issues will be fixed?

You don't know, but you're slamming others for complaining about something that shouldn't have been left out in the first place. I cannot believe there are still people here who refuse to see the negatives and only the positives. Talk about walking around with blinders on.

here we go again, lol

I'm out! Thanks for the mature debate on your end Z. :thumbsup:

-John

lol and yet another dev scurrying away :rofl:

I'm back, but not to talk about the topic at hand...... Scurrying? Do you mean like a rodent or cockroach?

Far from it. I don't scurry from anything. The topic has seemed to run it's course for me and is eaither starting to repeat itself or other issues not relevant to the original topic are starting to creep in.

That's all. I don't run away, just move around. :thumbsup:

-John

This is directed to noone so pls dont attempt to outwit me cuz I concede in advance. I feel that there is not 1 game that has ever been perfect. GR1 was good, RVS was ok, LD.....moving on, OE was good, Fear was good....The list goes on. To me, it was the teams, the matches, the competition that made gr1 great. GRAW doesnt give you that chance. Many ppl are comparing it to bf2, is it ubi's counter to EAs bf2? I think what it boils down to is the way u look at it....half empty or half full. You have the right to pick and choose how you see and feel about the game.