Map Editor is built into the game !

fangster

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a new one with a fancy colorful USA flag (flipped like in the original, dunno why? :huh: )

The texture is unwrapped on the model mirrored on it's x-as probably.

Really like how this is evolving :)

Good job guys.

I have seen flags worn on uniformed soldiers before... I think this is how the flag is placed on their uniforms in the real world (at least in some branches, maybe).

I believe...someone with more knowledge on this can confirm....but I believe the flag is reversed sometimes because its said to you are to have the field of blue close to your heart....so on the right arm it would be reversed...and on the left arm ok....but again..I could be wrong....I looked it up on the internet once..but I am to lazy to do so now.

HACK

Hey Digital can you please do a write up on how you got the editor to that point, please and Thanks.

the editor is activated with:

<script base="data" exec="levels/editor/editor" editor="true" enforce_texture_sets="false"/>

this should replace the line that load the menu in context.xml, you can choose which level to load with the proper path

there are also additional line commands and now I'm tryin' to figure them out..(I'm working on loading lightmaps with mission files) but I've the feeling that it's missed THAT part of the gui which makes the editor operative (no idea how to save-compile changes)...or, even if everything is in there, you can only try random changes to activate the hidden commands

anyway a close look at the structure of script files shows how solid this game is..there are so many possible iterations that modding (if supported) will make graw live a long life :thumbsup:

I don't see why you couldn't...isn't it just like any other mod that edits OE files???

guess so.. if some1 wants to test it, here it is (yup sorry it's rapidshare)

http://rapidshare.de/files/20048334/Urban_Camo_v1.0.rar.html

installation:

-unpack quick.bundle using "Nemon unbundler" and set the game to run with unpacked files (see http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...opic=34249&st=0 )

-Go to: Data\textures\atlas_characters\ghost_team

-Unrar diffuse_set0.rar and diffuse_set1.rar in corresponding diffuse_set# folder overwriting original files (backup suggested)

-Use it at your own risk!

..and thx for all the explanation about the reversed flag

now say if we do make changes, how can we remake a .bundle file anyway? or is that a ancient chinese secret?

I wouldn't wonder if the GRAW exe has a added command to create the bundle file and to unpack it ..

some1 try to use the oldschool pkzip.exe expressions with the GRAW.EXE .. lol

Well that should be easy enough to find out by looking the graw.exe with a unix string -like command. I remember seeing such utility for windows on sysinternals.com ... wait... yep. Here it is: http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/strings.html

Hope you find it useful.. :thumbsup:

Hey thanks Dig. Its fairly unstable at the moment, works thou, staticmeshes are placeable and are seperated into STATIC(larger architectural meshes) and Static_small(cosmetic stuff, barrels, debris, vehicle etc.) Lights are placeable and simple. I'm digging further to check how the nav system works and Ai. Of course saving a map would be a challenge, but im thinking it has to do with the

Area thingy, place a large area box and work inside that, there doesnt seem to be a brush system ala Unreal, but more a import from a 3d app in peices type of thing.

BTw, heres a handy titbit, make a new shortcut to the GRAW.exe on your desktop(dont copy the old one) go into properties of that shortcut, and add -editor to the comment space, apply and then rename your shortcut to editor, then you go straight into editor instead of ingame first.

Also by clicking the spacebar you get camera control and to move it use the wsad keys.

To place any of the ojbects that you find in the selection bar above right click it in the scene.

Havent figured out how to save yet or move ojects once placed, and it still seems to have a memory leak or just that I dont know the "rules" of that editor yet.

I don't see why you couldn't...isn't it just like any other mod that edits OE files???

guess so.. if some1 wants to test it, here it is (yup sorry it's rapidshare)

http://rapidshare.de/files/20048334/Urban_Camo_v1.0.rar.html

installation:

-unpack quick.bundle using "Nemon unbundler" and set the game to run with unpacked files (see http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...opic=34249&st=0 )

-Go to: Data\textures\atlas_characters\ghost_team

-Unrar diffuse_set0.rar and diffuse_set1.rar in corresponding diffuse_set# folder overwriting original files (backup suggested)

-Use it at your own risk!

..and thx for all the explanation about the reversed flag

Yeah, worked great. Now all of the ghosts have US flag patches!

I want to make a black SCAR, but I don't really know what I'm doing in PS

Edited by Scubaman3D

anyway a close look at the structure of script files shows how solid this game is..there are so many possible iterations that modding (if supported) will make graw live a long life

That seems to have been the plan thanks TC

How do you use those nvidia dds programs??? I want to make a black SCAR.

Nvidia DDS tools (and related software).

You'll need Adobe Photoshop (or a compatible alternative).

thanks! Unfortunately, I suck at photoshop, as it turns out...but I'm experimenting!

EDIT: I mad a black SCAR and "special cammo"...its in the skin modding forum section. Hope people like it...I'm a PS virgin.

Edited by Scubaman3D

I think you can move placed objects with left mouse only if you have the same category selected

are you sure about the shortcut thing? in comment tab? did'nt work for me whitout the modified xml..but it's early in the morning so it might be me.. :wacko:

you still need the xml changed, but the comment just makes it so you can skip going in thru the lan stuff, it just starts the game and directlly into the editor.

I did a new one with a fancy colorful USA flag (flipped like in the original, dunno why? :huh: )

graw33rn.jpg

Just a trivia thing - the field reversed flag is worn on the right so that the flag's stripes are streaming behind you, as if the flag is advancing:

From Stars and Stripes:

Why do American soldiers wear the U.S. flag insignia "backwards" on the right shoulder of their utility uniforms, with the canton (the rectangle with the stars) on an observer's right?

It's a question that soldiers hear frequently as they travel through civilian airports, or talk to members of other services.

And it does look "wrong," because U.S. federal code calls for the canton to always be positioned to the left.

The soldiers aren't wrong, however, and neither are their tailors, Lt. Col. Stanley Heath, an Army spokesman, explained in a Friday telephone interview.

The Army actually has two authorized flag patches, one to be worn on the left shoulder, with the canton facing left, and another "reverse field" patch worn on the right, with the canton facing right.

The two different orientations are mandated because Army regulations call for the flag "to be worn so that to observers, it looks as if the flag is flying against a breeze," Heath said.

What does a stiff wind have to do with this custom?

In fact, the rule is a nod to the U.S. Army's early history, when wars were fought as a series of carefully choreographed battles — two armies meeting on a field, clashing head-on until one side emerged victorious.

In those battles, both mounted cavalry and infantry units would always designate one soldier as "standard bearer," to carry the Colors into the fight.

As the standard bearer charged, his rapid forward momentum would cause the flag to stream back.

And since the Stars and Stripes is mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section would always be forward.

So if a soldier is charging into the battle, the flag would give the appearance of forward motion. For the right shoulder, the flag only appears "backward."

And that's why soldiers wear the flag patches on the right shoulder "backward." Because retreat in battle, as any soldier will tell you, is not the Army way.

Great people, this is so nice to read that people are already trying to mod the game, and to understand the structure and whatnot.

I've waited six years for this. And now it happens...

I need to get a new PC quick, and then the game. But it's middle in the summer here and who sits behind a computer when it's 25 celcius outside ? (ehe me, who else wrote this).

Maybe you guys can find, in the editor, some way to import 3dsm models into game ?

What will the GRIN-guys think : What? they found the editor-enabler-switch already ?

Keep on going, this is great, I have to finish the map I supposed to make for GR1.

you still need the xml changed, but the comment just makes it so you can skip going in thru the lan stuff, it just starts the game and directlly into the editor.

my editor already starts directly without passing from the lan.. :blink: maybe I did some other change (sry but it's quite difficult to keep trace of them all..)

my editor already starts directly without passing from the lan.. :blink: maybe I did some other change (sry but it's quite difficult to keep trace of them all..)

Can get it directly with these lines.

<script base="data" exec="menu/menu" editor="false"/>

<script base="data" exec="levels/mission03/mission03" editor="false"/> 

<script base="data" exec="levels/street/street" editor="false"/> 

<script base="data" exec="levels/animation/animation" editor="false"/>

<script base="data" exec="levels/e3vision/e3vision" editor="false"/>

<script base="data" exec="levels/ai_test/ai_test" editor="false"/>

<script base="data" exec="levels/e3street/e3street" editor="false"/>

<script base="data" exec="levels/editor/editor" editor="true" enforce_texture_sets="false"/>
paste those under this line.
<script base="data" exec="menu/menu" editor="false" language="english"/>

I enabled most of the things to make editor show more than empty space.

handy way to use the editor when you wish and without loading trough the lan.

Correct me if im wrong.

Edited by vlad

I am not sure if anyone knows or even noticed but the DDS file types are used in XBOX enviroment and they are the DX equivalent of gif, or jpg, or png, etc.

What I am getting to is that you may be able to get the bundle from the XBOX version of GRAW and insert some of the mods that everyone is crying about like the Thermal Vision.

I do not have GRAW for XBOX and XBOX 360 has not been bronken into yet, anyone care to give it a shot ?

It could be an indication that the game was ported from XBOX from the original source from RSE.

If I am wrong I appologize but at least it is worth a shot.

Edited by -V- Pitrus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great people, this is so nice to read that people are already trying to mod the game, and to understand the structure and whatnot.

Keep on going, this is great, I have to finish the map I supposed to make for GR1.

It would be glad to see when the old GR Maps gets converted first. No surprise at this point.

In BF2 many guys creating maps , goodones , betterones and bullsh**ones , anyway this maps didn´t get popular . In my opinion we should use GR.net , because its a well known one of best GR portals ever, to collect some "best of" map packs.

btw: I guess Im lokking to far into the summer :icon_redface: