video card upgrade

i have a 6600GT 128MB currently with 2GB PC 3200 RAM and an AMD 64 3200XP

i wanna stick with nvidia so what should i get a 6800 GT 256MB or a 6800 GS 256MB? whats the difference between the 2?

i simply cant afford a 7series card, not just for one game anyway.

(gonna be purchased from ebay so i wont be paying full price for it)

thanks

GS series cards are manufactured for an AGP slot mobo, if you have a GT already, keep the GT.

That's the 7000 series where GS is for AGP and GT is for PCI-E.

The 6000 series has GT cards in both AGP and PCI-E and GS cards in both AGP and PCI-E.

Basically, the 6800GS is a 6800GT with a die-shrink and a GPU speed ramp up, but with 4 pixelpipes locked.

6800GT (the older of the two)

130nm manufacturing process

16 Pixelpipes

350MHz processor speed

1000MHz memory speed

6800GS

110nm

12 Pixelpipes

425MHz processor speed

1000MHz memory speed

The faster proc speed but fewer pixelpipes of the GS have it running at close to the same level as the GT. However, the smaller manufacturing process of the GS allows it to produce less heat, so it can be overclocked further. If you're an overclocker, the GS is the better option.

Also, if memory serves me correctly, some of the AGP versions of the 6800GS can be modded to unlock the four locked pixelpipes, making it equal to the GT architecturally, but at a much faster processing speed. If you can do some research to find out which 6800GS models can do this, and you're willing to tinker, it would definitely be the better option of the two.

Are you sure you can find these? I found only 2 6800GS AGP cards on Pricewatch.

yeah only on ebay though. none of them have been overclocked yet.

i think the GT was discontinued by nvidia because the GS was cheaper to produce.

id rather not do any over clocking and from what ive read ones that you can open up the 4 pipelines on are very rare.

so do you think the GT would be the way forward?

thanks for the help.

EDIT

Im watching a few of these galaxy GT ones:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

they have extra cooling so i wouldnt mind overclocking the clock speed on these...

Edited by babydave

yeah only on ebay though. none of them have been overclocked yet.

i think the GT was discontinued by nvidia because the GS was cheaper to produce.

id rather not do any over clocking and from what ive read ones that you can open up the 4 pipelines on are very rare.

so do you think the GT would be the way forward?

thanks for the help.

EDIT

Im watching a few of these galaxy GT ones:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

they have extra cooling so i wouldnt mind overclocking the clock speed on these...

I'm thinking the other way around. My vote is for the GS. Performancewise, a 6800GS should be about a match for an earlier 6800GT. If they trade places by a nose performance should stop being a purchasing concern.

IMO, because the GS runs "cooler" and more efficiently, you'll probably want to go with this. Plus, GTs are end-of-life already. support has been dropped where as the GS is still a going concern.

Plus, as you noted, the GS is cheaper to produce, where as the GTs are out of stock. In general this means you'll get a GS card for cheaper than someone charging a "rare" premium on a GT.

I see you looking at ebay. Can you get something from an online retailer/parts distributor (basically whatever the UK equivelant of newegg or zip zoom fly would be?). You'll find better support options that way.

babydave, first I would like to invite you to the 6600 128 GT forum and post your experience.

Just with my limited experience. I have found that "leap-frogging" is the more sensible way of upgrading. I too have a 6600 GT 128MB. When I say leap-frogging, what I mean is skipping the next generation card. From 6600GT, it doesn't make sense to get a 6800 GT. Since that card too will be chugging with next gen games. So, you can leap frog to the 7-series cards.

It would be more sensible to get a 7600 or 7800 GT/GS cards.

If I was to upgrade my BFG 6600 128 OC GT AGP, I would wait for the release of the 7900 256MB GT/GS coz this would drop the price of the 7800 256 GT/GS.

From what I read on CustomPC UK magazine, the 7900s gets you ready for the MSVista also, not sure on 7800s.

I hope I'm making sense to help a fellow 6600 GT user.

Brand and model is up to your budget.

On the 6800 issue, there are 6800 256MB AGPs that run cooler and runs GRAW smooth with decent framerates (> 30fps) and those are the GS models. GS tends to run cooler and have no problems OC to the GT level.

All these info I've shared with you can be found in various forums such as OC forums here in the US and UK sites, Hardware Analysis Forum, BFG forum.

Good luck and good gaming.

:grin1:

ive decided as i wont be buying the game till june im gonna wait and see if the 7 series prices come down as they do seem a more sensible choice, that said if i can find a 6800GS or GT on ebay which means only having to spend an extra 20 quid or so on top of selling my current card then ill do that.

no point in buying a card thats already starting to get old i guess and that wont guarantee me good fps's with GRAW.

thanks for the help guys

ive decided as i wont be buying the game till june im gonna wait and see if the 7 series prices come down as they do seem a more sensible choice, that said if i can find a 6800GS or GT on ebay which means only having to spend an extra 20 quid or so on top of selling my current card then ill do that.

no point in buying a card thats already starting to get old i guess and that wont guarantee me good fps's with GRAW.

thanks for the help guys

:thumbsup: