Not gonna upgrade to play till GRAW is fixed.

Like many people I've been waiting over five years to play this game. I've counted downt he days and over the years no other game has filled the void left by the aging GR1.

I was all ready to play the demo then go out and upgrade my RAM and Graphics card so i could make the game look good.

The first obstacle was that the demo would not even render as i have a Nvidia 5950u. I thought, fine i'll upgrade the card and RAM then buy the full game.

After reading many of the posts here though detailing the many faults of GRAW I have come to the conclusion that It's just not worth the cost of the upgrade. The other games i still like playing work fine on my current specs so in effect i'd be spending 300 to 400 dollars just to play GRAW. I would have been happy to do this but for the seemingly vast number of problems with the game.

The Look and feel of the game from the hi res vids is fine by me but things like the chat windown in mp being locked, no team DM, locked into using the always awful game spy, prone gun angle restrictions, game ending when team leader dies, game needing a massivley over powered rig to get the full benefit of the graphics, no mod tools/sdk and so so many others you guys have listed.

I was all ready and raring to go but these reports have lost UBI a sale.

If a patch or add on improves things then i might consider buying GRAW in a few months but for now these faults plus the elitists and controling design of the game has just put me right off. (by controlling i mean the heavey sense of restrictions . . . only through gamespy? after five years they can't reproduce GR1's nice ip to ip system option . . of course they can. They just don't want to. . . . No SDK. They don't care about the community, plus, if mods extend the life of GRAW too far then less will feel the need to buy add on packs or GR4.)

Im wanting it, and then looking to "hold off" for the moment. Things will be more interesting me thinks next month with patch and MP updates that have been spoken about. Im realy waiting to see what the feedback from that will be before I grab a copy.

Its difficult as its a slight contradiction for me, I want to support it/GRIN .. so a purchase is how that is done, but at the moment it doesnt seem justified. Just a few too many unticked boxes to make me grab it right now.

Im still optomistic for later on, we havent got anything back from everything that has been logged here with fixes/requests yet so will be good to wait around.

Your argument for waiting to upgrade your gaming rig and getting ghost recon is quite justifyable based on the steep graphics upgrade cost and other teething issues.

However, like most Original GR fans I have been suffering each and every day that there is no news, a postponement or worse - a mention of another new console edition or addon in complete ignorance of the PC.

So, I'm very glad indeed that the new GR is actually in my hands, I did not want to wait another grevious day in the abyss. If that means it's far from perfected then I'm perfectly happy to sit out the patching over the coming months, in the knowledge that the new PC GR actually exists and that there is an impetus towards resolving problems and adding to the game.

Feel exactly the same here. :(

After agonising for a week over upgrading my gfx, as my 5950U doesn't cut it, I've decided to hold off until at least after the patch to see how that fairs and then I can look at an upgrade which will probably be the whole rig.

Just hope I can find some old school GR still being played otherwise it's back to SP missions for all those games I've bought & never bothered with!

In a way i feel a bit sad about the state of affairs.

I mean apart from the mind blowing decision to release the game without dm or team dm when obviously loads of us old GR1 guys lived and breathed GR1 Team dm, i feel the shut out due to the high minimum specs that very many potential GRAW customers are experiencing will impede the sales numbers and this in turn might prompt UBI and other game publishers to say "look at that, it's obviously not financially worth it to develope for the PC".

I bet there were just tens of thousands of us PC users at the sub 6200 level who were chomping at the bit to lay out for the game, despite any bugs. Laying out for the game 'AND' an upgrade though with the reports is a step too far.

I expected to get flamed for this thread. The fact that i haven't and that most replies so far have been sympathetic says as much about the maturity of GR.net users as it does about the consensus about the state of affairs with this release.

I have to say that I don't know if I would have upgraded just for this game. I am lucky that I got a new PC for Christmas and have what it takes to play this game with decent settings, etc.

I can totally understand if people are going to wait for patches/addons before they decide to upgrade for this game. The fact is that MP is incomplete and needs serious attention.

That being said, I don't regret getting the game. The SP is fun and if you find a low ping server with low ping players, Domination is fun FOR NOW.

So, I'm very glad indeed that the new GR is actually in my hands, I did not want to wait another grevious day in the abyss. If that means it's far from perfected then I'm perfectly happy to sit out the patching over the coming months, in the knowledge that the new PC GR actually exists and that there is an impetus towards resolving problems and adding to the game.

Knowing UBI it'll about a year for the patches to come...

I'm always amazed when geniuses drop into threads and take time out of their busy schedule to let us know that they don't care.

The forum equivilant of somene spending an hour in the morning scuffing their hair up just right so it looks like it hasn't been touched.

Edited by Poita

I'm always amazed when geniuses drop into threads and take time out of their busy schedule to let us know that they don't care.

The forum equivilant of somene spending an hour in the morning scuffing their hair up just right so it looks like it hasn't been touched.

I've responded to this & other related topics as it's the best way to get across the issues of (I believe) a large number of gamers who can't / haven't made the step to GRAW. As strange as it sounds it took 72hrs of thought to decide to cancel my pre-order and as like many I've waited for this for 5 yrs that was a dissapointing choice.

More than anything I'm hoping that GRIN will continue to read these forums and as a result the patches will help tremendously. That will make me get my wallet out and upgrade for GRAW!

Buying GRAW wasn't the stopping point for me. I already bought it. It's sitting in my closet right now, unwrapped.

However, I won't be upgrading yet to play the game because, as has been mentioned, there seems to be a bunch of issues out there. To me, it's not worth it to play yet until it's right.

The retail game has been out for less than a week. Man, I waited a lot longer for YOTM and other mods.

Patience, my friends. GRIN will make it right. :g_withgrin:

Ironically i have my current graphics card 'Nividia gforce 5950U' because i bought it to 'accentuate' FAR CRY 'after' playing the FC demo which worked pretty fineon my Gforce 4600. I tried FC, liked it then in a moment of feverish madness went out and spent over 500 dollars (here in Korea hardware is expensive) on the 5950U.

FC was smooth out of the box and the key thing was the demo let me get a taste even on my older graphics card.

I remember back in the day of the Amiga that some games would only run on Amiga's with 1 meg of ram when most machines had only 500k. Those devs were brave to shut out so many possible customers but it did actually drive up the sales of ram. The Amiga system being a monopoly and ram being so small then it was a good thing but todays Graphics hardware race is already in overdrive with peoples hardware being outstripped in six months. So the GRAW shutout is just annoying.