Modding existing weapons

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unpack the bundle with the unpacker provided by Nemon here.

and look in the xml files for the guns. They are self describing.

Already done it :P

Unfortunately, the modifications I made to the SCAR H did not seem to have any effect in game.

For others interested in this process, see this thread.

Unfortunately, the modifications I made to the SCAR H did not seem to have any effect in game.

You have to remove the corresponding .bin file and enable compilation in your context.xml

(at the end)

<compile xml="true" scripts="false" mopps="false" texture_db="false"/></context>

This should work, but I'm at work and can't try it :)

You have to remove the corresponding .bin file and enable compilation in your context.xml

(at the end)

<compile xml="true" scripts="false" mopps="false" texture_db="false"/></context>

haha, yeah me too...when I get home I'll test it out.

EDIT: ok, I moved the bin file that corosponded to the SCAR H.

I was messing around with the stats and added 3 round burst mode to it. I also increased the magazine capacity to 25...it worked fine.

Edited by Scubaman3D

(at the end)

I was messing around with the stats and added 3 round burst mode to it. I also increased the magazine capacity to 25...it worked fine.

Guys, is this for SP campaign?? If it is, i would like to test it. BTW, can someone guide me from the start on how to configure those files?? im not that pro in programming :wall:

Guys, is this for SP campaign?? If it is, i would like to test it. BTW, can someone guide me from the start on how to configure those files?? im not that pro in programming :wall:

Yes, its for SP. Once you extract the bundle, go to GRAW\data\units\weapons. Here are the weapon files. Open a particular weapon xml file and actually, modifing stats is pretty easy. Many things are explained in the document, itself.

Make sure before you do this that you edit the last line of context.xml to all "true" instead of "false" so that the bin file is updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I just finished making the m9 do 10 damage instead of 1 :). Couple that with god mode (which seems to give you unlimited ammo too....?) and you can really have a sweet party :g_guns::g_guns:

Hi InsaneSnyper,

Maybe I should this adress to you? Do you know how to mod the explosion_radius or the damage off the 40mm grenades (grenade launcher). I looked everywhere but still can't find it.

Hummm, I cant seem to find anything. Searched a bunch of likely candidates and came up with nothing. Because of the complexity of the physics we are going to have to change more than just a blast radius, its going to probably be some value that sets the initial energy of the explosion, or a bunch of numbers that describe its energy at various points or something.

Edit: Humm thats funny though, you can just change the radius on frags. Strange that its not that easy with projectiles.

Somehow I think the answer may lie in /data/objects/weapons/casings/grenade40mm.diesel

Edited by insane snyper

Edit: Humm thats funny though, you can just change the radius on frags. Strange that its not that easy with projectiles.

Somehow I think the answer may lie in /data/objects/weapons/casings/grenade40mm.diesel

The moment we got blessed with the bundle extractor :thumbsup: I immediately changed the frag's explosion_radius but a week or so later I'm still looking for the 40mm (GL).... I think you're right about the diesel file. Guess we just have to wait for the SDK.

Thanks anyway.

G'day, I havre the xml etc all extracted and working ok....and am trying to work out the apparently obvious weapong xml...but something must be eluding me as I can not see the following...

1) What defines the fire modes? (ie. single shot, semi-automatic, 3 round burst, full auto)

2) where the ammo is.

Can someone pls. include some examples of the the line/xml tags that determine these attributres?

(I would like to get the sniper rifle, the barret, to be semi-auto).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by davros

G'day, I havre the xml etc all extracted and working ok....and am trying to work out the apparently obvious weapong xml...but something must be eluding me as I can not see the following...

1) What defines the fire modes? (ie. single shot, semi-automatic, 3 round burst, full auto)

2) where the ammo is.

Can someone pls. include some examples of the the line/xml tags that determine these attributres?

Thanks in advance.

Hi davros,

Am at work at the moment so I'm working from memory.

I have the existing weapons modded, i.e Barrett with 3 fire modes, single, 3 round burst and fully auto.

In the folder ....\lib\managers\xml there is a file called I think weapon_data . This if I remember correctly has all the relevant data - weight,accuracy,recoil, fire modes. you can also change a weapon from primary to secondary. The Barrett will not work as a secondary weapon for me, the game crashes when trying to load after the mission intro. I have however changed the Scar L to be a secondary weapon, so I have a fully automatic Barrett as primary,50 round clip, and a Scar L, with 3 fire modes and 50 round clips as secondary.

In the folder \sb_templates there is a file called I think sb_inventory. This contains the data concerning the number of clips carried by each weapon in single player and domination. You can increase the default number of clips per weapon and increase the default number of extra clips in the backpack etc.

In the folder \units\weapons are the files for the individual weapons. you can edit these to increase the number of rounds per clip, ammo type etc. I have changed the ammo type for the Scar L to be 556, as when you are running low on ammo you can get a new clip from every G36 dropped by the enemy.

Hope this helps .

Regards

2) where the ammo is.

Thanks in advance.

Hi davros,

Am at work at the moment so I'm working from memory.

I have the existing weapons modded, i.e Barrett with 3 fire modes, single, 3 round burst and fully auto.

In the folder ....\lib\managers\xml there is a file called I think weapon_data . This if I remember correctly has all the relevant data - weight,accuracy,recoil, fire modes. you can also change a weapon from primary to secondary. The Barrett will not work as a secondary weapon for me, the game crashes when trying to load after the mission intro. I have however changed the Scar L to be a secondary weapon, so I have a fully automatic Barrett as primary,50 round clip, and a Scar L, with 3 fire modes and 50 round clips as secondary.

In the folder \sb_templates there is a file called I think sb_inventory. This contains the data concerning the number of clips carried by each weapon in single player and domination. You can increase the default number of clips per weapon and increase the default number of extra clips in the backpack etc.

In the folder \units\weapons are the files for the individual weapons. you can edit these to increase the number of rounds per clip, ammo type etc. I have changed the ammo type for the Scar L to be 556, as when you are running low on ammo you can get a new clip from every G36 dropped by the enemy.

Hope this helps .

Regards

Hi peewee678,

I was also looking for the file to increase the radius of the 40mm grenade blast. This might not be relevant but if you look at the file rpg7, or rpg, in the weapons folder, open using a hex editor, you will see references to 40mm ammo and developers remarks about changing the rpg to a bullet weapon from a projectile weapon.

If the 40mm grenade launcher is using bullet ammo then this might explain why it can not be found (yet). I have looked for the different ammo types 9mm,556,127,50cal etc but can not find from where the game is drawing the data.

Hope this helps.

Regards ..

Edited by paulkel

Oh yes it does help! Thanks.

Just changed the one xml and it worked fine in the game...

units\weapons\u_barrett.xml

<var name="clip_max" value="10"/>

<var name="fire_modes" value="1"/>

Though to get the inventory to show the correct info, I needed to change these two xml's as well.

strings\inventory.xml

<string id="stats_firemode_barrett" value="SA" />

lib\managers\xml\weapon_data.xml

<stats caliber="12.7 x 99 mm" rpm="" velocity="850 m/s" firemodes="SA" capacity="10" info="info_barrett" />

Guess who has a new M107 (semi-auto Barret with a 10 clip :)http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles.htm

Now I feel like more like an elite forces soldier and not some target shooter.

Oh...btw. there is one "glitch" I think with this I am yet to work out/prove...it seems it will not reload unless all the rounds are used (ie. 0 left) and then it will..so i think I may need to change something else to allow it to be reloaded when say 1 or 2 rounds are still left in the mag. But it is not a big issue...just check your rounds before you charge around the corner :0

Thanks guys.

Edited by davros

Oh yes it does help! Thanks.

Just changed the one xml and it worked fine in the game...

units\weapons\u_barrett.xml

<var name="clip_max" value="10"/>

<var name="fire_modes" value="1"/>

Though to get the inventory to show the correct info, I needed to change these two xml's as well.

strings\inventory.xml

<string id="stats_firemode_barrett" value="SA" />

lib\managers\xml\weapon_data.xml

<stats caliber="12.7 x 99 mm" rpm="" velocity="850 m/s" firemodes="SA" capacity="10" info="info_barrett" />

Guess who has a new M107 (semi-auto Barret with a 10 clip :)http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles.htm

Now I feel like more like an elite forces soldier and not some target shooter.

Thanks guys.

Haha, yeah...I never thought that a single shot 50 cal sniper rifle was the best choice for a urban environment, in which the sniper will be doing LOTS of moving.

I think the SCAR L/H-SV would be a better choice for this style of game. (SCAR - sniper variant)

P.S. this barrett is BAD ASS!

Edited by Scubaman3D

Hey, guys.

If I want to be able to choose the Eotech, "Scope", or AimPoint for my rifles, can I just add these lines to the weapon file for the SCAR_L the recompile?

<depends_on unit="crye_combat_sight$name_ext"/>

<depends_on unit="sniper_scope$name_ext"/>

Thank very much for your help. I'm a big fan of the Eotech.

Something like this .........

scar%20sniper.jpg

This is just work in progress, the 3d model loads and is working fine but the scope is not usable in the game, i.e. you can not use the zoom function.

I think this is something to do with the diesel files, (I think they are the 3d model files), and the way weapons mods or attachments are associated with particular weapons.

The Scar L already has a scope attachment so the model works, if you can see in the screenshot I have also added the bipod from the Barrett but this crashes the game when selected as the Scar L 3d model has no attachment for a bipod, I'm only guessing here but I'm heading in the right direction.

As you can also see from the picture I have increased the accuracy, just a bit !, and decreased the weight.

I have also change the weapon to be the secondary weapon.

Haven't posted a pic on this site before if this is too large I will repost.

Regards ...

Edited by paulkel

Something like this .........

Scarsniper.jpg

This is just work in progress, the 3d model loads and is working fine but the scope is not usable in the game, i.e. you can not use the zoom function.

I think this is something to do with the diesel files, (I think they are the 3d model files), and the way weapons mods or attachments are associated with particular weapons.

The Scar L already has a scope attachment so the model works, if you can see in the screenshot I have also added the bipod from the Barrett but this crashes the game when selected as the Scar L 3d model has no attachment for a bipod, I'm only guessing here but I'm heading in the right direction.

As you can also see from the picture I have increased the accuracy, just a bit !, and decreased the weight.

I have also change the weapon to be the secondary weapon.

Haven't posted a pic on this site before if this is too large I will repost.

Regards ...

Great work! I am looking forward to more attachments on the guns.

How did you increase accuracy? I know how to change the weight, stability, and impact of a gun but I couldn't find accuracy.

Also, have you figured out how to change the amount of affect the addons like the foregrip and silencer have?

Hi Scubaman,

The accuracy bar is just part of the gui, I think, set from the file:

\data\lib\managers\xml\ weapon_data.xml

This is used for the load out screens - weapon calibre, weight, accuracy and is used in the gui. It is also used to determine which weapon mods or attachments are used. I just added the Barrett scope, "Sniper Scope", to the mods available for the Scar L. The weapon mods are found in the file:

\data\lib\managers\xml\ mod_data.xml

In the mod_data file the "Sniper Scope" is number 1.

I just added a mod to the list of mods available for the scar, in weapon_data file, by copying an existing one, e.g. mod 11, scar combatsight or aimpoint ,

and changed the 11 to a 1.

image-003.jpg

The actual gun accuracy, fire modes, etc are set from the file:

\data\units\weapons\"weapon name".xml

e.g. u_barrett.xml

image-004.jpg

Regards ...

edit ..

The mod_data and weapon_data files both contain references to weight, I think the weapon_dat file actually changes the weight if edited and the mod_data file is the gui, i.e. white bar, representation of the weight.

Edited by paulkel

Hi all,

I'm on a bit of a roll here so i might as well keep going..

Lined up my guys for a team photo shoot ...

From the rear with Scar L / Sniper scope + silencer as secondary

weapon

image-005.jpg

From the front with modified Barrett, 3 fire modes including full auto, etc

image-006.jpg

An interesting side effect of making the Scar L a secondary weapon is that you end up with two primary weapons and a secondary. One Scar L has the Combat sight and the other the Sniper Scope.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/paulkel/weapons.jpg

As you can see I have increased the clip size to 99 and added 3 round burst mode.

I think because at the load out screen the game automatically "loads" the Scar L by default I have ended up with two primary weapons. This also explains why there seems to be two scopes when the sniper scope is added.

I haven't actually tried this loadout with the Ghost ai yet on a mission, I have no idea how they will shoot with the sniper scope on the Scar.

Lets face it though they need all the help they can get !

I have been playing though for the last couple of days with this loadout, minus sniper scope on the scar, for all of the squad, and they don't get whacked as often !

In missions where the anti tank ZEUS is available they can also, in addition, use this. This is a one shot weapon and is disposed of when fired but I'm trying to figure out how to change this.

Just a word ... I'm modding these files for single player only, I don't want to ruin anybodys' online experience, I can't imagine that any of these mods would get by any decent checking system.

Regards ...

Edited by paulkel