how is MP Dom Mode?

Yes please speak for yourself.  This game has potential like CRAZY.  From seeing what grin has done in half the time of most other developers, I will gladly wait and see what else they throw at us.  It is not like they didnt tell us it was coming.  We know it is.  Wait for it.  and then get ready to eat humble pie.

I thinK Dom mode is fun, though i can not wait for some regular mp, and HOPEFULLY dedicated COOP servers.  Cause coop is pretty much my only love.

I don't buy games for future potential... I buy them for installing and playing NOW. Longevity should be addressed in add-ons or expansions or patches. This isn't the stock market... I'll invest in potential there.

to expand: really it is just a race to the area if u want to win the match.

There is no aspect of teamplay that I have seen in the !4! active servers with the whopping 80 people online total!

There is no sneaking to start because the area you are in flashes. Really the only reason I do not forsee Dom mode being any better in the future is because the lack of team play. A clan on one side would be fun, as they have external voice clients(Ventrilo, teamspeak) There is no team communication that I have seen.

As i said, if the ENTIRE map was not a place your team could have I think it would be better. When I am an inch into another zone who says I want to take it over just yet? maybe I want to pass it by and take another, more usefull place?

Remember this is all IMO so if u have counter arguments please share them.

I just think there should be more options, some maps will work with dom, others with DM, etc... All these maps are not that great with a Dom mode.

I played DOM MP mode last night for about 2 hours total. Most of the servers that had people playing in it didn't last long... about 3-5 rounds and then they would shut down, leading me to think these weren't 'real' game servers (dedicated, standalone) but rather people hosting from their pc. The chop and lag was horrible - and like stated above - a race to a section to capture the flag, nothing tactical about it.

I think coop online is a super idea, but this game is in dire need of that traditional MP aspect we fell in love with in GR1 - LMS, Seige, etc...

The shortage of alot of maps is also something that will hopefully be addressed with an add-on. 12-15 maps is a minimum for longevity from my experience with online MP gaming - not to mention a mode that caters to the type of game it is. Why make a run and race MP game mode when the game is all about slow and tactical execution.

The single player is where this game shines (although the graphical requirement truly have me dissapointed). I custom built a rig a year and a half ago to be top of the line at the time, and it barely runs this to be playable. I think that is too agressive for a game of this type considering the graphical eye candy and playability other titles in this genre have achieved without raising the requirements all that much.

Is it worth getting? If you're buying purely for MP team play - I'd say not... if you're all about singleplayer campaigns and online coop - sure!

I for one am more about MP team play (ladder play) and this game isn't anywhere close to my needs out of the box... :::crossing fingers for MP-expansion add-on:::

:(

Edited by tangovictor

Domination right now is nearly unplayable over the internet. It's obvious that the lack of a dedicated server is a big problem. I did manage to log in and play some, and it sure looks like it could be fun, heck, I think it even was fun for 30 seconds at a time here & there. Every server I tried but one had lag so bad, it was simply a matter of luck whether or not ur shots connected.

The problems begin with the interface. Most ppl are likely to report it's impossible to log in to gamespy so they can't even see a server list. Truth is, when you first use the log in screen you have to make sure to TAB out of every field (so none is hilighted) then log in. Otherwise, it won't work--there are a variety of error msgs one can get if you don't do this.

I got disconnected a lot, and no, it's not my connection. A neat feature is if you get disconnected in a load screen with text, the disconnect msg window is unreadable because the window is translucent, overlaying other text.

There's clearly something wrong with the gamespy interface overall. If I host a coop LAN, it works perfectly. If I do it over the net, problems arise as in: the server didn't show the name I put on it, it didn't have the pw I typed, and after I died, I got disconnected with the error msg: cd key invalid (it is obviously valid).

One particular instance I think sums up what's going on right now as far as domination is concerned. I was playing along in a server, the lag was pretty bad, I even got shot from around a corner while entire clips of mine got chewed up and spit out by the enemy. The match ended, and I got a load screen for the next match. An error msg came up about being disconnected, but it was unreadable. But I could here my rig chuggin away, so I waited. I loaded to this:

http://www.donutwar.com/mopap/wtfgraw.jpg

As it turns out, I wasn't online anymore. I can only figure those things are spawn markers for the enemy in coop/sp. HOW this happened is beyond me.

The sp is fine (tho sometimes buggy), coop is fun over LAN, but the whole internet thing is zooed so badly, it almost seems as if it was untested. But the potential is there, among the foul smelling weeds...

*edit* OH and let me add, if the dom mode has a death limit, you are treated to a lobby screen for the rest of the match if ur bounced out. You can't watch the action. This is nuts!

i will get my copy today and domination mode is definitely better if you have more people. the mode is built for having large teams and once we all get our games, you will see more people online :thumbsup:

they also said that the MP patch is coming out next month and it will add a map editor, new COOP missions, and deathmatch modes. so, i expect this game to pick up some steam in the next month and i'm really looking forward to it.

Wait a minute, how many rounds does it take to kill someone online?  Please don't tell me it  takes an unrealistic ammount like in BF2.  Oh well, that's what mods are for. :)

i'm guessing the reason people are complaining about that is because of lag. without good servers it's hard to be sure.

I killed most people with 1 shot, but due to server lag sometimes you shoot a load of lead at someone and he does not die. I think it's lag because sometimes they just disappear and appear somewhere a bit a far from your position. As ghost said we need dedicated servers to confirm this.

Phew! I was concerned about that greatly. Not like I couldn't adjust...it's just a GR thing though, ya, know?

i will get my copy today and domination mode is definitely better if you have more people. the mode is built for having large teams and once we all get our games, you will see more people online :thumbsup:

they also said that the MP patch is coming out next month and it will add a map editor, new COOP missions, and deathmatch modes. so, i expect this game to pick up some steam in the next month and i'm really looking forward to it.

No dedicated servers

Nothing other than DOM mode, which sounds like it runs poorly

= no purchase until the MP patch comes out in June, if it comes out, I don't trust, I verify then trust.

Liked the DEMO Grin, now come on, deliever to the MP community!

No dedicated servers

Nothing other than DOM mode, which sounds like it runs poorly

= no purchase until the MP patch comes out in June, if it comes out, I don't trust, I verify then trust.

Liked the DEMO Grin, now come on, deliever to the MP community!

semper, don't sweat it and just do what you want, which is to wait :thumbsup: those of us who got it already (just installed it) will not be going anywhere and we will continue to play this game, and we hope to see you soon.

some of you guys don't need to post about not getting the game because it is your choice not to buy it. you cannot give an honest opinion about the game because you do not have it. you are basing your opinions from second hand info and you should not do that.

you choose to stay on the sidelines and not get the game, and i understand that you want to make a plea to GRIN on fixing some things. i just don't agree with the fact that you liked the demo, but won't purchase the full game? oh well, to each their own ;)

i really like the dom mode. most people i was playing with was aorund 8 people in it and the lag was getting pretty bad (but it wasnt a dedi but someone hosting from home so who knows) i miss teh tdm but i can waiot for that. i can see the potental the dom mode has for gameing leagues. how you can set up strats witht he amps looking at the supply lines and how to cut them off and cover otherpeople.

i was only playing with the default gun. didnt like till i started buying the battle sight then i amperttyy happy with ti and cna do pretty good :)

so overall i think its a good mode just need the dedi servers for lag free gameing

I will have to admit that I didn't like the DOM mode at all at frist, but it is growing on me. Here are some of the thoughts I've had about it so far.

Pros:

1. I like the zone-control. It gives people more to do than to just go and spawn rape, though that is still fun!

2. I like how the zones are connected, and that you can't run accross to the other side of the map and take a zone. You can however take away control of a "behind-the-lines" zone, and that will hurt the offense of the opposing team.

3. I think the points-for-weapons is actually pretty cool. It challenges you to play well and spend tactically. :thumbsup:

4. The maps are very intricate; there are many areas to hide!! :ph34r:

Cons:

1. You have the ability to team up into squads, but beyond that, there doesn't seem to be any tactical advantage. You can't direct your squad (like in SP) that I can tell. And since there is no VOIP, you can only hope your squad works together. :blink:

2. Some of maps are so big (which itself has pluses and minuses) you don't really feel like you are working as a team because we're so spread out.

3. The Log section at the top of the screen (for chat and whatnot) seems to be more of information overload than anything helpful. I am used to GR1 and other games at least having some color code to let everyone know who's joining, who's killing who, etc. :unsure:

4. I wish there was more ability from my character to bring up his rifle more quickly after running, or the ability to lean as I slide. And I would like to see some quick keys for switching weapons. :o=

Well there's some of my "IMO's" Hope this is helpful to some people.

Overall I am really liking the game, and am wanting to get home now and play it!!