look what we found *mod news*

today we had,

me and a good friend who back in the days introduced me to GR,

found in the bundle of the demo

he is a programmer and can do miracles (at least in my eyes)

within 15 minutes of playing in some C++ editor and some other programming tools

we got a look inside and it looked prommissing

http://www.suiside.net/site_images/newspost_images/gr.jpg

this is a jpg but we found them in DXT5 in the bundle (with alpha channel etc.)

he said it was well in range of any programmer with the right tools and skills to get there,

not moddable............. he said that was Crap,

hopefully i can get him to make a usefull tool once

but otherwise i think there will be some that see the light from this post

have fun

if i went out of my way with this searching i am sorry, just curious and anxious to see what lies behind the bundle of joy we call GRAW

*don't know where that little grey square came from.... :(*

think it was a c++ editor of some kind, when he is online i will ask for the program, but mind you, he did write a simple program to extract just this image (this is a jpg copy realsize but not the original DTX5 texture)

i will post the programs when i know for sure

to re-save he said it would take some while to save it because the bundle had to be resaved for as far as he could determine in this brief half hour of tinkering

but it could be done

he estimated that a good programmer could make a usefull tool in two days

the structure of the bundle is not, in his eyes obvious, but not unmanagable

but maybe i am getting ahead because they (grin) said there will be some mod tools

hopefully my friend will make something in the future, if i can get him :drool:

Edited by sui317

I'm the ###### sui is talking about :P

I've looked into the file format of the bundled file very briefly and came to the conclusion it's a very simple format.

It's a very simple archive without compression or encryption. There are some binary files in there and some textures and some xml files and nothing more.

The textures are in plain DXT format and can easily be adjusted and so are the xml files, obviously...

Recompiling the bundle file shouldn't be a problem either, but first i'll have to check if the full version of GRAW still uses that format. I've only looked at the demo.

If it is, then I can make something which allows you to extract the whole bundle file and recompile it within a very short amount of time.

If necessary, modifying and converting textures is also one of the possibilities.

But in all honesty... I don't really feel like putting a lot of effort in it when something better by the developers comes along. I have a lot of projects which I'm more dedicated to :)

This is just something to show you guys that you don't really have to fear that the game is unmoddable.

If no one comes with something good soon, I'll most likely, make something quick.

As per this thread I've been looking into the bundle too, just using a hex/text for now, and there seems to be lot's of goodies that'll help with modding (and also stuff like disabling deferred lighting to enable AA), the Diesel engine looks to be really flexible and easily configurable through the xml files.

The structure of the file as you point out is basic enough, at the start of it is a table listing the files and their locations, mainly xml files, their corresponding compiled xml.bin files and some binary resources. Altough somone pointed out in the full version feedback thread that the structure in the retail file seems slightly different to the demo one. I'm hoping I can pick up the retail in the next day or two and then throw something together over the weekend to pull all the files out of the bundle, edit the XML files, recompile them and bundle it all back together.

IIRC, it looked like a lot of textures could be pointed too in the XML files, so for modding things like that I think it'll be easier to keep simply change the XML files to point to the new ones instead of trying to put them back in the bundle.

Edited by stevenmu

This is music to my ears guys. This is, mod tools/modders, is what will give GR:AW the legacy and success that GR1 enjoyed for 4 amazing years. This is what makes it a worthy sequel.