Editing quick.bundle

Hi guys anyone managed to edit the quick.bundle file, or better yet unpack the files and repack them ?

There's some interesting looking stuff in there, including this possibly jucy little section

<world pre_clear_flags="depth|stencil">

<viewport name="default">

<post_processor name="shadow_processor" active="true"/>

<post_processor name="exposure_processor" active="true"/>

<post_processor name="post_processor" active="true"/>

<post_processor name="deferred" active="true"/>

<post_processor name="crosscom_processor" active="false"/>

</viewport>  

<viewport name="crosscom">

<post_processor name="shadow_processor" active="false"/>  

<post_processor name="exposure_processor" active="false"/>

<post_processor name="post_processor" active="false"/>

<post_processor name="deferred" active="false"/>

<post_processor name="crosscom_processor" active="true"/>

</viewport>  

</world>

Take note of the line <post_processor name="deferred" active="true"/>, I've tried just changing it to "false", but then can't load the game (or even get as far as the intro videos), I can set it to "fals" and get into the game (it has no effect like this) which leads me to believe the extra character is throwing the file structure out as opposed to some kind of crc or anti-cheat check.

There's other interesting looking stuff in there too, I might do up a list later on.

Hi guys anyone managed to edit the quick.bundle file, or better yet unpack the files and repack them ?

There's some interesting looking stuff in there, including this possibly jucy little section

<world pre_clear_flags="depth|stencil">

<viewport name="default">

<post_processor name="shadow_processor" active="true"/>

<post_processor name="exposure_processor" active="true"/>

<post_processor name="post_processor" active="true"/>

<post_processor name="crosscom_processor" active="false"/>

</viewport>  

<viewport name="crosscom">

<post_processor name="shadow_processor" active="false"/>  

<post_processor name="exposure_processor" active="false"/>

<post_processor name="post_processor" active="false"/>

<post_processor name="deferred" active="false"/>

<post_processor name="crosscom_processor" active="true"/>

</viewport>  

</world>
Take note of the line <post_processor name="deferred" active="true"/>, I've tried just changing it to "false", but then can't load the game (or even get as far as the intro videos), I can set it to "fals" and get into the game (it has no effect like this) which leads me to believe the extra character is throwing the file structure out as opposed to some kind of crc or anti-cheat check. There's other interesting looking stuff in there too, I might do up a list later on.
you break up the file then by inserting the additional character from "false", depending on your hex editor you could try to remove one space char instead so

modified to

<post_processor name="deferred"active="false"/>

But if they included checksums for each archived file or for the complete file it doesn't work.

Edited by Striker-1991

you break up the file then by inserting the additional character from "false", depending on your hex editor you could try to remove one space char instead

Thanks, was too busy looking for a complicated solution and totally overlooked the blindingly obvious. I've managed to change the value now, but it doesn't seem to have had an effect, I'll have to keep looking elsewhere I think.

Im thinking the Post Processer is the PPU but thats just a guess

As far as I know post processing refers to effects added to a scene after it the geometrey and textures and stuff have been rendered, the HDR/Deferred lighting being one of them.

Looks like you can change the cross com from wireframe mode to realtime picture too.  Nice find!

Never thought of that, I'll try it out now.

Ok, no luck with anything so far. Changing values doesn't seem to have any effect (other than crashing the game if the structure is thrown out). I have noticed though that for each XML text file, there's a compiled binary version, so I'm assuming the game uses that instead. I've tried creating 'real' xml files in the hope that they'd override the ones in the bundle but that didn't do any good, nor did messing with the context.xml to try and get it to recognise my xml file.

I think the way forward will be to extract the whole bundle, edit the xml files, recompile them and bundle them all up again.

Steve M , good to see ya on the gr forums ...

the bundle from the retail is a .rra , and no details on filext.com about it so its a custom extension , gonna need a custom 3rd party editor/compiler/decompiler if we hope to mod any content .

btw im not a pirate , i have friends in the San Fran Ubi Offices .

Changing values in there is not what crashes your game.

It's pure XML config and only tells the game engine what to do.

Whats more likely to be crashing the game is calls to undefined functions or processes that either don't exist or aren't supported.

This is the demo remember, and a lot of things have been left out.

Not to mention things that were planned but just ended up being left out.

Im thinking the Post Processer is the PPU but thats just a guess

PPU= Physics Proccesing Unit.

Post Processor is part of the engine that after initial texture pass renders the lighting effects. Post meaning after.

hmm , im not sure about whats causing the game to crash , cuz im so bad at programming , but i do know that editing the " context.xml " in the root install folder will allow you to generate a " texture_db.bin " file , so i guess we can make new skins or something already , if the damn .bin would open that is .

Thanks for that Dimz. The only info I could find on .rra files is that it could be a 'round robin archive', not sure yet what can be used to extract it but I'm sure there'll be something somewhere.

The crashing can be caused by editing XML files in the bundle, at the start of the bundle is a table listing the embedded files and their location within the bundle. If the length of a file changes then all the files after that will be out of place and the game will crash when looking for them.

np , glad to be of assistance .

and i have the retail and the values still crash the game , though im not sure which of the " context.xml " values it is , since i changed all of the " Enable this for bundled versions " variables . it did however produce a textures_db.bin in the data\textures folder , as i mentioned earlier , so if anyone could have a look into that , i think you need to enable the texture_db , run the game and then exit after playin for a bit for the engine to compile it .

good find

but againthe finalized file's extensions is .bundle , not .rra like i mentioned , because thats only while the package is being installed , which of course will give you source file errors if you try to open or mod it .

but that may prove to be a step in the right direction , thz .