GRAW demo performance analysis by Elite ######

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find. Strange and interesting results, to say the least. Seems like GRIN's engine is different in ways (has deferred lighting been used before?) that puts it at a disadvantage with current drivers ... or at least the odd behavior would point to a need for driver optimization. For all I know Diesel is poorly coded.

Why would high textures perform better than medium? Wandering outside my little box of comprehension but is it possible the difference in performance has something to do with the overhead incurred from texture compression on medium textures? Just look at the high/medium image comparison ... they're virtually the same but IIRC there was a 130MB difference in memory usage.

Would definitely appreciate someone with more knowledge to chime in...

kinda confirms that if you want to be able to play the game at a reasonable quality/fps then you need one of the nvidia 7 series or a high end ATI card :(

interesting read

EDIT

yup i dont understand why there was a higher fps when higher textures etc were used?

id like to have seen a 6800GT 256MB card used as well for comparisson

Edited by babydave

And why would the 1900XT's performance go up at 1280x1024 when AF is turned on.

Note that it didn't just pass the 1800 when AF was turned on. It went from 31.3 f/s without AF to 35.3 f/s with it. :wacko: I suspect that tester doesn't know what he's doing, and I suspect that there's a driver setting in there somewhere that was holding the 1900 back.

I've got a XFX-7800GTX with 256MB video mem and is able to run some textures in high mode with slight performance degredation since I'got 2GB of memory. Characters and weapons on high, the rest on medium/default settings, this at 1680x1050 res.

Putting ground or building on high is a no-no though.

The difference between medium and high textures is almost unoticable when you play the game so I really don't mind. But it is sad that a GTX cannot handle the high textures in this game.

What makes GRAW's high textures so unique compared to BF2 which I can run at the highest settings.

It is all about optimization on certain settings/hardware. I doubt GRIN was able to take the time to optimize their code across the board, which is the bane of PC development...is it not?

It is something that they should...I hope...be able to tweak with patches. Lets hope so.

Hmm, I see no new information because the biggest complain was the missing AA. Also he said it runs on midrange hardware in lower resolutions (<1280) and there was no complaining on getting the game running with all the test systems. Strange, because people have big problems here with the same cards they testet. Maybe they doing a complete new System install before benchmarking.

I suspect that tester doesn't know what he's doing, and I suspect that there's a driver setting in there somewhere that was holding the 1900 back.

I suspect that I do know what I'm doing. ;)

As I mentioned in the article, I did all my testing on the X1900 several times over because I was baffled by the results, and got broadly the same numbers back each time. Hence my thinking that it's probably a driver issue - There was nothing selected within the driver control panel that would explain the discrepancy, although it's a shame that I didn't have any 512MB NVIDIA boards to go toe-to-toe with it, as it would have given me more information to work with.

That article was excellent read! :thumbsup: However I wonder if you Hanners, could consider tweak XML file settings, and redo some tests. Would be interesting to see what FPS you got if you've forced the mid-range cards into higher resolutions than listed by default. There are alot of people with these cards that are frustrated because of the jaggies, and higher resolutions would help a bit...

Perhaps more extensive testing/tweaking with the retail version of GRAW? That would make my day!

I can force my X850XT PE into a higher resolution than listed, and it is still playable...

Hanners, why didn´t you disable the Catalyst AI? Why didn´t you use the latest driver over on Nzone.com (84.43) but used the latest ATI driver (AFAIK)? Just curious, thats all. Very good write up though and it would have been perfect if you had been able to benchmark the 7900GT and 7900GTX as well.

Edited by agentkay

Hanners, why didn´t you disable the Catalyst AI?

I always tend to leave it on its defaults, and there's nothing too 'damaging' in there to worry about.

Why didn´t you use the latest driver over on Nzone.com (84.43) but used the latest ATI driver (AFAIK)?

I always test with WHQL drivers, thus I used the latest final, official WHQL drivers from both ATI and NVIDIA. Drivers on nZone are betas, thus I avoid them unless there's a very good reason not to.

However I wonder if you Hanners, could consider tweak XML file settings, and redo some tests. Would be interesting to see what FPS you got if you've forced the mid-range cards into higher resolutions than listed by default. There are alot of people with these cards that are frustrated because of the jaggies, and higher resolutions would help a bit...

It would certainly be interesting, but sadly I don't think I'll be able to find time to do any further investigation, for the time being at least.

Nice post......looks like GRAW is going to cost more than cover price....... .Upgrades all round then boys, time to crack open the piggie banks.......so much for UBI's system test! <_<