Mod tools

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if i remember right Grin said there would be a sandbox editor and soon after a released sdk as it is not in a user friendly form at the moment.

Maybe they can confirm this...

I must say the game is great though!! Looking forward to may 3rd

Edited by ROCOAFZ

in the event of tools not releasing.....it'd be a cryin shame if some were leaked to bit torrent...or some helpful code made its way into the hands of a few talented programmers (can we say Mike Schell clone?)

really hope tools are there.

The only reason GR1 has last as long it has and has had such devoted followers, has been because of the “mod communityâ€.

Is this so hard for Grin to understand?

When are the game companies are going to stop biting the hands that feed them?

I dont understand..? It has been said countless times that we would be getting mod tools...Why the change?

No mod support = Quick Death

Especially considering that we only get 5 MP maps to being with. With no way to create more maps..Its gonna get dull fast.

Quick Death = New game to go Gold man , you aint seein the big picture .

Edited by Dimz

The only reason GR1 has last as long it has and has had such devoted followers, has been because of the “mod communityâ€.

Is this so hard for Grin to understand?

When are the game companies are going to stop biting the hands that feed them?

That's only part of the equation. M/P has kept GR as much alive as anything else.

It's not GRIN's decision, it's Ubisoft's decision. The Tech belongs to GRIN but the IP belongs to Ubisoft.

So why was my post that said exactly that deleted?

:blink:

Um.... not a single post of yours has ever been deleted. I'm not sure what you are talking about. :unsure:

Well, I for one have faith that GRIN will make modding tools available to some degree or other.

Remember that in ye olde GR1 we got IGOR after a couple of patches, then Thom (Baja) worked out how to hex edit the skins on the models and started skin modding (either that or made it popular). Mike Schell made the GR1 models available in 3DSM format and people started to mess around with them. Maps shortly followed, with several exporters and so on from 3DSM, though nothing too official.

Weapons and actual character editting didn't properly take off until after IT came out and people discovered the 3DSM exporter files that had been cunningly hidden on the CD. So, people started messing with that.

Then a certain former RSE employee (mentioning no names piggyson) made some tutorials for his website and every Tom, Dick or Harry could begin to properly export weapons, equipment pouches (remember mid-spine helper anyone?), full character models, vehicles, etc.

If I remember rightly, none this came with any sort of official backing from Ubisoft, it all came about because the Devs love games as much as the gamers, so decided to release them in an ad-hoc arrangment, which suited everyone fine. Hopefully this will happen for GR:AW, but if official support was added, so much the better. :thumbsup:

Just my thoughts on it all...

Tim

GR came "mod ready", with a mod activation tab and a file system to accomodate it. GRAW may not have mod tools, but, it also may not have any way to implement SP mods. If it is like SWAT 4, then it will be to much of a hassle to bother with. The modding in GRAW may be limited to making MP maps, not building missions.

GRAW is currently unmoddable .

Why do you say that?

i say that GRAW is unmoddable as of now becuase all the content is locked in a bundled package, that cannot be opened. so if you wanna try to make " GhostRecon 5 : I R 1337 " using only .xml files that arent useable anyways becuase the bin data doesnt support the change and crashes the game , by all means .

wait a minute ... i got an idea !

how bout we spy cam pam anderson in teh shower and replace the briefing videos with that by Binkin' the avi and play GRAW all wigged out ?

Edited by Dimz

GR came "mod ready", with a mod activation tab and a file system to accomodate it. GRAW may not have mod tools, but, it also may not have any way to implement SP mods. If it is like SWAT 4, then it will be to much of a hassle to bother with. The modding in GRAW may be limited to making MP maps, not building missions.

I hold your statement as untrue. Bo said that the editor will be the same which Grin have used when they created the game, missions and you name it. What they need to do is fixing the interface so that normal users actually can use it. So buildíng missions will most likely be possible.

I hope the dedicated server files will be fixed as easy as the editor.

Nothing to say that the modding tools cant "see" inside such packed files & also Im guessing you would need to make your packed files once you have created a map etc. Not sure if it will or not, but as we dont know ..... then we dont at the moment.

Nothing to say that the modding tools cant "see" inside such packed files & also Im guessing you would need to make your packed files once you have created a map etc. Not sure if it will or not, but as we dont know ..... then we dont at the moment.

It's also entirely possible the editor will ship with it's own set of models, like the Battlecraft editor for BF1942/2. It has no need to see "inside" the package because everything the editor needs is a seperate download. Why DICE chose to do it that way instead of using the game models I don't know, but I suspect it has to to do with rendering the lighting. GRAW may do something similar.

I did reread Bo's post about the mod tools this morning, nad his comment was something to the effect that we'd see the editor available before most people completed the game. So in other words, not at launch, it should be soon thereafter.

Link to his post: http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...72entry356072

:g_withgrin: