Mod tools

Ok guys let's say we get dedicated servers, but I can't even start to imagen the FPS drop when playing on server with let's say 10+ ppl It's hard as it is now on high end rigs !!

Edited by Nookie

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm this game gets more and more problems, so far we have to have a newish graphics card, then we have to wait for dedicated servers, then we have to wait for DM sttye Mp, now they saying no mod tools.

This is not looking good i know its a if, however i have ordered upgrades for my pc, maybe i should cancel for now. Arghhhhhhhhhhhh lol.

Wish Grin were here to maybe clarify some things.

Well, you have developer saying one thing and publisher saying another. It's most likely just one hand not talking to the other. Happens all the time.

Just wait it out.

One hand's talking Swedish, the other one is talking french :lol:

Ok, if this is true. Let's look at the facts.

1) The game is not made for the casual gamer as their system can't handle it. (the casual gamer does NOT have an uber system, nor can they typically afford it. They also make up a vast portion of the gaming market. (and when you put everything to low you still get poor framerates..not to mention it looks ugly. Why would I play an ugly, buggy game when I can play BF2 with 64 players on my crappy system and it still looks very nice??)

2) No mod tools...means people into modding or enjoy playing mods will likely not buy it. (myself included being as I fall into both of these categories)

Do these guys LIKE shooting themselves in the foot? Or do they actually think they are going to get enough hardcore gamers with super systems (very small minority mind you) to make a profit of this thing? :P

Did'nt Bo confirm on here that there would be an SDK to be released, but it wasnt ready to ship with the final game as it needed to be made a bit more user friendly ????

Whats going on ?

Got to agree, although i love the single player mode its going to shorten the life span of the game to a few months before people move on.

Maybe; just maybe, UBI are talking out their a#se......LETS HOPE!

Edited by PONDLIFE

In the end it is the publisher who decides what and when to release expansions/patches and mod tools. The developers unfortunately are not the ones who is in charge in these matters so regardless of what grin has said in the past I would rather hear something officially from ubisoft than grin.

I highly doubt that there won't be any mod tools so I would not worry about that. It probaly will come after the first patch where they'll fix prone aiming and other things hopefully.

Edited by AlphaModel

1) The game is not made for the casual gamer as their system can't handle it. (the casual gamer does NOT have an uber system, nor can they typically afford it. They also make up a vast portion of the gaming market.  (and when you put everything to low you still get poor framerates..not to mention it looks ugly. Why would I play an ugly, buggy game when I can play BF2 with 64 players on my crappy system and it still looks very nice??)

2) No mod tools...means people into modding or enjoy playing mods will likely not buy it. (myself included being as I fall into both of these categories)

Do these guys LIKE shooting themselves in the foot?  Or do they actually think they are going to get enough hardcore gamers with super systems (very small minority mind you) to make a profit of this thing? :P

Kinda ironic isnt it?

IF this is true, they built a game as they have said that will only run to full potential on "future" systems. Yet, they wont have anything to keep people playing it in the future. Most of the things most of us gamers consider to be "standard" things to be put in any game released in this day and age aren't included. Our last hope was modding tools to at least be able to add the stuff they didnt get time to or just neglected to. Like more MP modes, Maps, modding in options for the game etc. Now if this is true, without even having the option to do any of that ourself. We have a very basic MP game with pretty graphics.

In the end it is the publisher who decides what and when to release expansions/patches and mod tools. The developers unfortunately are not the ones who is in charge in these matters so regardless of what grin has said in the past I would rather hear something officially from ubisoft than grin.

I highly doubt that there won't be any mod tools so I would not worry about that. It probaly will come after the first patch where they'll fix prone aiming and other things hopefully.

I hear what you're saying and understand that the final decision will be with UBI and not with GRIN, but i cant understand why the no MOD tools if it turns out to be true....Bet GRIN not smileing now!

It's a great engine (ok a resource eater like a starving goat) but seems a shame coz this game is gagging for MODS for future fun!

Edited by PONDLIFE

A qoute from Bo:

The editor is a thing we will keep updating as we go and as need arises from the community. The first step will come just a few weeks after the release when we give you the first version of it. It is the same as we use in development and thus needs to be made more user friendly before release. Right up until now it has been worked with and on so it wont be in the box from scratch. I trust the modders to be online though and able to download it pretty fast - you don't have to wait long at all - you won't have completed the game until we hit you with it.

Found here:http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...ic=32998&hl=sdk

Also, from a devchat in december:

<KS-Grizzli[ModoFR]> Will you provide a SDK?

[ +Ulf ] We cannot reveal that information as of now, but it's in the works. =)

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...ic=29366&hl=sdk

A qoute from Bo:

The editor is a thing we will keep updating as we go and as need arises from the community. The first step will come just a few weeks after the release when we give you the first version of it. It is the same as we use in development and thus needs to be made more user friendly before release. Right up until now it has been worked with and on so it wont be in the box from scratch. I trust the modders to be online though and able to download it pretty fast - you don't have to wait long at all - you won't have completed the game until we hit you with it.

That sounds good...and I have to say I would trust Bo before ANYONE at UBI...but it goes without saying that this NEEDS to be reiterated after the PRODUCER opened his mouth and stuck his foot in it. :nono:

A qoute from Bo:

So maybe the SDK won't be releases RIGHT AWAY. Maybe it's still in the creation stage. All I know is...they have to get it out soon. The game has a lot going against it...the SDK would really help it's stance.

With all respect to Mr.Girard, he mostly sounds like a broken record in these Q&A's. Theres barely any new information given out. Always the same stuff, then again this depends on the question he is given.

The funny thing is that he talks about the map, sound & visual effects editor.

Like John says, publisher & devs. different things ;)

In the end, I fully trust GRIN in what they claim. I mean, they have yet to misslead us on anything...

Bo will probly clear this mess up at release...

With all respect to Mr.Girard, he mostly sounds like a broken record in these Q&A's. Theres barely any new information given out. Always the same stuff, then again this depends on the question he is given.

The funny thing is that he talks about the map, sound & visual effects editor.

Like John says, publisher & devs. different things ;)

In the end, I fully trust GRIN in what they claim. I mean, they have yet to misslead us on anything...

Bo will probly clear this mess up at release...

I agree. The news makes me a little paranoid...but the Devs do seem to be more vocal than most dev teams...the fact that they interact with the community shows they at least CARE about their product.

Guest Tech

What the :whistle:

Do we all look like a bunch of naive idiots? Either someone is playing games with us, or some other person is badly informed...

I think we need some explanations, on a couple of subjects that is, from the right people...

I hate being fooled :nono:

1) The game is not made for the casual gamer as their system can't handle it. (the casual gamer does NOT have an uber system, nor can they typically afford it. They also make up a vast portion of the gaming market.  (and when you put everything to low you still get poor framerates..not to mention it looks ugly. Why would I play an ugly, buggy game when I can play BF2 with 64 players on my crappy system and it still looks very nice??)

All games are made for casual gamers, Destructo. My computer can run it fine, and it's by no means 'uber'.

I bought it for 1000 dollars last year, and I run in medium. :huh:

I'd say one of two things happened:

1- Ubi has decided they don't need mod tools, and Grin will be instructed not to make them.

2- Miscommunication between the devs and the publishers, and we'll have them soon.

All games are made for casual gamers, Destructo. My computer can run it fine, and it's by no means 'uber'.

I bought it for 1000 dollars last year, and I run in medium. :huh:

I'd say one of two things happened:

1- Ubi has decided they don't need mod tools, and Grin will be instructed not to make them.

2- Miscommunication between the devs and the publishers, and we'll have them soon.

Ok, I gotta know. What's your system?

Radeon 9800 Pro

1 gig of DDR ram

Sound Blaster Audigy ZS

3.4 AMD processor.

If I want to get decent frame-rates I HAVE to play on lowest res and all low settings, shadows turned off.

Radeon 9800 Pro

1 gig of DDR ram

Sound Blaster Audigy ZS

3.4 AMD processor.

If I want to get decent frame-rates I HAVE to play on lowest res and all low settings, shadows turned off.

Geforce 6600 256mb,

3000+ AMD 64 bit

512 MB ram.

I play medium-high settings, 1024.

Radeon 9800 Pro

1 gig of DDR ram

Sound Blaster Audigy ZS

3.4 AMD processor.

Geforce 6600 256mb,

3000+ AMD 64 bit

512 MB ram.

I play medium-high settings, 1024.

Dang it. what's your secret?? :P Anytime I go to 1024 in this game I get mouse lag.

As much as a lot of us like what we've seen, we must remember one thing: The game is published by Ubi, and they do NOT have a good track record when it comes to modding. /shrug Perhaps the folks from GRIN will come through for us though.

Isn't GR4 on the horizion  :D

Seriously tho, I think we will get it.

LOL...Don't even go there!!! :nono:

If UBI did pull the rug out from under GRIN and we didn't get the things that GRIN has promised and/or alluded to, I would say it is time for another class-action suit with GRIN involved on the plaintiff’s side. :grin1:

As careful as GRIN seemed to be about what they did or did not talk about, I can’t imagine them saying it without the prior OK from UBI. They would be shooting themselves in the foot big time. And that would cause their current reputation with the fan community to plummet in a big way!