I think I found the root to our

I was looking around the folders inside of the GRAW Demo folders and Come to realize that some of the files don't even exist that are in the "context.xml" file.

All the .xml files listed DO NOT EXIST! So this could be why we are having so many problems with the GRAW Demo. Go take a look fo ryourself. alot of graphic files do not exist. so these will be in the retail version... Below is the file paths for all of the graphics and sound stuff. about 3/4 of the referenced .xml files do not exist in the Demo...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>

- <context>

<script base="data" exec="menu/menu" editor="false" language="english" />

<layer_config file="\data\settings\layers.xml" />

<scene_config file="\data\settings\scenes.xml" />

<unit_database file="\data\units.xml" />

<sound settings="/data/sound/settings.xml" />

<network settings="/data/settings/network.xml" />

<static_texture_scope file="\data\settings\static_texture_scope.xml" />

<skeleton_def file="\data\objects\def.xml" />

<animations def="\data\anims\anims.xml" state_machine="\data\anims\state_machines.xml" />

<texture base="\data\textures" />

<effects file="\data\effects\effects.xml" />

<decals file="\data\effects\decals\decals.xml" />

- <!-- <keys disable_windows_key="false" />

-->

<default_shader_config file="\data\shader\default_shader_config.xml" />

<default_render_templates file="\data\shader\default_render_templates.xml" />

<physics settings="\data\settings\physics_settings.xml" fps="60" novodex="hardware" />

<global_materials file="\data\settings\materials.xml" />

<gui file="\data\gui" optimized="true" />

<camera shakes="\data\settings\camera_effects.xml" cameras="\data\settings\camera_settings.xml" />

<bundler make_logs="false" />

<nls_lookup size="64" />

<installer use="false" />

<calc_video_mem_adjust value="false" />

- <!--  Enable this for bundled versions.

-->

<compile xml="false" scripts="false" mopps="false" texture_db="false" />

</context>

:g_withgrin:

I was looking around the folders inside of the GRAW Demo folders and Come to realize that some of the files don't even exist that are in the "context.xml" file.

All the .xml files listed DO NOT EXIST! So this could be why we are having so many problems with the GRAW Demo. Go take a look fo ryourself. alot of graphic files do not exist. so these will be in the retail version... Below is the file paths for all of the graphics and sound stuff. about 3/4 of the referenced .xml files do not exist in the Demo...

:g_withgrin:

I'm confused... what is that for?

I'm no pro here but these appear to be .xml files that are important to running the game. it appears to be texture, render and sound stuff mostly. But none the less this demo is a very stripped down version of the game.

Just a hunch

when we get the retail version, then maybe, just maybe the graphics issues will be gone too.

Edited by Papa6

You'll note that the XML files called with '/' in their path exist in the demo, as the slash designates a file path that can be called under Windows.

The XML files with '\' cannot be called under Windows, and in fact are not included in the demo.

Not being that versed in XML, I would still hazard a guess that the non-existing XML files have been effectively commented out of the code; either the functions those files are meant to provide are non-existant in the demo, or they have been hard-coded, and are thus not required. Best guess, of course.

You'll note that the XML files called with '/' in their path exist in the demo, as the slash designates a file path that can be called under Windows.

The XML files with '\' cannot be called under Windows, and in fact are not included in the demo.

Not being that versed in XML, I would still hazard a guess that the non-existing XML files have been effectively commented out of the code; either the functions those files are meant to provide are non-existant in the demo, or they have been hard-coded, and are thus not required.  Best guess, of course.

So this could be the case you are saying?

So this could be the case you are saying?

Right. I would hazard a guess that the missing files named in that configuration file are in fact not intended to be there, and the use of backslashes in them is meant to comment them out.

For those who may not understand what 'commenting out' refers to, it's used in technical writing (which computer languages fall into) to put stuff into code that is readable to the human eye, but is ignored by the computer running said code.

Not being that versed in XML, I would still hazard a guess that the non-existing XML files have been effectively commented out of the code; either the functions those files are meant to provide are non-existant in the demo, or they have been hard-coded, and are thus not required.  Best guess, of course.

Good catch. Didn't see that one while looking through the XML files.

ok so your saying the people who have the pirated version perhaps don't have all the graphics either?

Are you saying that maybe the full retail version will look better??  :unsure:

People with the full game ( retail CD or DVD bought From UBI, I won't discuss pirated stuff) SHOULD have all the stuff referenced in the above context .xml file and be ok.

Think of it as driving a car without most of the features.... and the Demo doesn't give you many options to mess with. :thumbsup:

Edited by Papa6

ok so your saying the people who have the pirated version perhaps don't have all the graphics either?

People with the full game ( retail CD or DVD bought From UBI, I won't discuss pirated stuff) SHOULD have all the stuff referenced in the above context .xml file and be ok.

Think of it as driving a car without most of the features.... and the Demo doesn't give you many options to mess with. :thumbsup:

Be careful mentioning pirate versions...that's an invitation for the admins to pay us a visit.

I certainly hope that some of the issues people have voiced with the demo are resolved with the retail release.

but why does this harm the demo, just because they are listed in the XML doesnt mean they would make the game run better. from what im reading is that most of u think that with the addition of these files the game will run better. i think adding these will just add more stuff to the game, but not add things that will make the game run better. i doubt theyd give us a demo that would run worse than the retail just by foregoing giving us a few files. it may run worse but because of driver issues, or un patched areas.

but why does this harm the demo, just because they are listed in the XML doesnt mean they would make the game run better. from what im reading is that most of u think that with the addition of these files the game will run better. i think adding these will just add more stuff to the game, but not add things that will make the game run better. i doubt theyd give us a demo that would run worse than the retail just by foregoing giving us a few files. it may run worse but because of driver issues, or un patched areas.

It was like that for me for fear. I played the demo like crap, but the full game ran much much better!

well those files have alot to do with the way the game runs/functions. so in effect, they don't directly do anything but direct the software where files are, but the referenced files aren't in any folders. maybe 1 or 2 perhaps .some folders don't exist in the data folder...but they do play a part in the full version

It's akin to them removing gears 2,3,4 & 5 in a cars transmission..

Edited by Papa6

This thread makes me think...I know, me thinking is a scary thing....<_<....but.......

It has to be a royal pain in the rear for any Devs of any game to do Demos. DEMO's are the first real look at their product by their costumers and it can boost or hurt sales. It can't be a easy decision as what to leave out and put in. What graphic to leave out and what weapon to put in that won't be effected by leaving out said graphic. They must hate these things.

Serellan? your thoughts?

Anyhow they can only release so much in a demo i think to prevent someone from turning a demo into full version. but on the other hand they want to tease you into buying the game.

Edited by Papa6

well those files have alot to do with the way the game runs/functions. so in effect, they don't directly do anything but direct the software where files are, but the referenced files aren't in any folders. maybe 1 or 2 perhaps .some folders don't exist in the data folder...but they do play a part in the full version

It's akin to them removing gears 2,3,4 & 5 in a cars transmission..

I think you're onto something. I believe I saw somewhere that the demo was a part of the second mission of the full game. If that is the case, your "missing files" may belong to the other half of the of the full game mission?

silent_op

Edited by silent_op