Ghost Recon.net Forums

Crosscom 3d Wireframe for PC?

So was/is there an explanation on why the demo version and possibly the retail version use the wireframe crosscom in upper left corner instead of a full realtime video rendering?

Is there a way to get it to show a proper video cam in the upper left corner other than going fullscreen?

I bet the reason for the wire frame is because GRIN has good interface design sensitivity and it is a better take on the feature. I never played any of the little box versions (or consoles in general), but I could tell from the many box videos that the small video window was useless and distracting. Having the option to go full screen is a better take on the feature. It also makes it more useful (if you need it).

The wire frame and full screen black & white also has a better aesthetic feeling of the high-tech gadget's limitations. This isn't BF 20637232749.

Having the option to turn the damn annoying feature off is even better (thank you GRIN :thumbsup:). I love the way I can choose not to see the video cam window.

silent_op

the reason is harware limitations. The cams would have to be rendered in real time. The xbox360 can do this because of the crazy hardware in it. If you wanted real time rendering on a pc you would suffer from massive fps loss. You'd have to have a monster of a pc to render that camera image live and not lose performance.

the reason is harware limitations. The cams would have to be rendered in real time. The xbox360 can do this because of the crazy hardware in it. If you wanted real time rendering on a pc you would suffer from massive fps loss. You'd have to have a monster of a pc to render that camera image live and not lose performance.

So it was just to show off the new "crazy hardware" of the big box? What a waste of developer's time. They should have put all that extra "crazy hardware" to work in more useful ways for the game play. For example, not making the Ghosts "holographic bodies" that can be walked through. Perhaps the crazy hardware could have been used to keep the dead bodies from vanishing?

silent_op

It would be so small to look at and use resources while looking small that would be a waste of time. Plus the fact that I bet most people would end up thinking .."thats too small" and then goto full realtime view anyway.

Wireframe is good for whats needed, you got plenty of tools to locate etc (blue arrows and things.

I got a test for you ... if you keep looking at that wireframe and getting annoyed you cant see where your team man is located due to that fact, and before you have looked at realtime headcam view, you then didnt know where your team mate is/was .. and you werent playing it right.

:P:D

So it was just to show off the new "crazy hardware" of the big box? What a waste of developer's time. They should have put all that extra "crazy hardware" to work in more useful ways for the game play. For example, not making the Ghosts "holographic bodies" that can be walked through. Perhaps the crazy hardware could have been used to keep the dead bodies from vanishing?

silent_op

It's a more important feature than dead bodies, which add nothing to gameplay. :thumbsup:

It would be so small to look at and use resources while looking small that would be a waste of time. Plus the fact that I bet most people would end up thinking .."thats too small" and then goto full realtime view anyway.

not that I was really looking forward to using all this crosscom gear, but the fact it was such a big deal with the 360 and all the developers diaries...

crosscom this...crosscom that....video here...crosscom technology...track enemy...track soldiers...blah blah blah.

Then to see it is not even rendered right on the PC game (demo) for whatever reason either due to hardware limitations or time constraints on the developers part is a little disheartning.

my point being the wireframe isn't a good substitue for what a realtime video would be IMO.

If its hardware limitations is there a way that could be implemented to work with the right setup then?

not that I was really looking forward to using all this crosscom gear, but the fact it was such a big deal with the 360 and all the developers diaries...

crosscom this...crosscom that....video here...crosscom technology...track enemy...track soldiers...blah blah blah.

Then to see it is not even rendered right on the PC game (demo) for whatever reason either due to hardware limitations or time constraints on the developers part is a little disheartning.

my point being the wireframe isn't a good substitue for what a realtime video would be IMO.

If its hardware limitations is there a way that could be implemented to work with the right setup then?

Yeah they did go on and on about the cross come feature, but that was probably just with regard to the 360 version :-/ The wire frame is ok for me, makes it easier to spot a red target on a dark background than a colour picture would. I'd have preferred full screen colour pitcures when you press G, though. But now at the expense of performance. I'd like to know why the head cam is so off as well. Makes it worse that sometimes their heads keep twitching, but I guess some people just cant't sit still :rolleyes:

A fully textured and rendered cross-com did exist in the early builds of the game. Some of the old screenshots show that. I think it was removed due to performance issues, but again, I wouldn´t mind a "cross-com" detail setting, even if it means that I can´t put it to "high" until a year or two pass by.

Edited by agentkay
As far as I remember it was taken out because people complained about it, which resulted in the whole scaling down of the HUD. Perhaps performance was a factor too.

Thats a shame if anything fulls screen cross com is more disracting. I got shot while viewing it <_<

Somtimes people power can go too far, but I don't mind if the decision was to help performance. I remember looking at that picture of the helicopter in the mist at night thinking there's no way my pc is gonna be able to do that regardless of whether they say the settings aren't on high or not, but I just kept my mouth shut. Looks like i was right.

Bo's answer to questions right after the first wireframe Cross-Com screens were released;

The cross com camera is divided in two parts. One is a small representation of threat with buildings and major obstacles outlines. Target assesment is about 200% faster this way. Here you see you buddies outlook and what targets he sees. THEN we have the seccond layer with the realtime view from your buddys helmet. Here you look at situations more than enemies - what does my buddy cover, does he see some cover up ahead that i missedon the tectical map and so on. It is up to the player to switch between them.

More of a gameplay thing then. However I'm reasonably sure that at one point he did say something along the lines of "it has more of a classic GR feel to it". I'll keep searching.

Bo's answer to questions right after the first wireframe Cross-Com screens were released;

The cross com camera is divided in two parts. One is a small representation of threat with buildings and major obstacles outlines. Target assesment is about 200% faster this way. Here you see you buddies outlook and what targets he sees. THEN we have the seccond layer with the realtime view from your buddys helmet. Here you look at situations more than enemies - what does my buddy cover, does he see some cover up ahead that i missedon the tectical map and so on. It is up to the player to switch between them.

More of a gameplay thing then. However I'm reasonably sure that at one point he did say something along the lines of "it has more of a classic GR feel to it". I'll keep searching.

personally if the response was *it has more of a classice GR feel to it* then I don't buy that...sounds more like a hardware performance issue or a decision not to implement it because it *couldn't* be done.

So who here wouldn't want it to show an actual realtime rendered video image even if the detail was degraded versus a wireframe?

Like someone said how much different would it be than many games where a rearview mirror is rendered in low detail or at least give the option to render to wireframe if your computer can't handle it.

So who here wouldn't want it to show an actual realtime rendered video image even if the detail was degraded versus a wireframe? 

Like someone said how much different would it be than many games where a rearview mirror is rendered in low detail or at least give the option to render to  wireframe if your computer can't handle it.

My opinion:

I wouldn't want the 360 video cam window, I want as much distance as possible from the console versions. I'm very happy that this is not a "port", nor does it have any feeling of a "port". I think the wire frame "looks" better, but I also don't like looking at it. I like the fact that I can turn it off and see more of the tangos that are trying to put a few slugs in me.

If the modding tool will allow us to tone the HUD down even more than what GRIN has done, I'll make it even less intrusive. I like the features, but I like them on my terms, thus we will have a modding tool :) . With that said, if the PC HUD was exactly the same as the 360 or any other console versions, I wouldn't even play the demo.

silent_op

Edited by silent_op