Awesome game, much better than previous Gh. Recons

I'm sorry folks, but the prevoius Ghost Recons pale in comparison. This game is much more entertaining and has more speed to it. I have had the previous Ghost Recons and I always wound up not playing them after a short time, but this one is keeping my attention rather well. Thanks GRIN :)

when i originally started playing GR I cant say I was wowed by anything. I kept dying from shots just in visual range and got raped a hell of a lot in MP the controls also felt a little strange(the zoom, weapon change, stuff like that)

GRAW is no different. but since it has graphics, good AI and other things I have to agree. once you get a hang of teh controls. its a blast, that one map is getting a little boring though.

I'm sorry folks, but the prevoius Ghost Recons pale in comparison.  This game is much more entertaining and has more speed to it.  I have had the previous Ghost Recons and I always wound up not playing them after a short time, but this one is keeping my attention rather well.  Thanks GRIN :)

MORE SPEED TO IT? ARE YOU DRUNK OR SOMETHING?

:Db::Korven+Apr 29 2006, 03:46 PM-->

QUOTE(::Db::Korven @ Apr 29 2006, 03:46 PM)
I'm sorry folks, but the prevoius Ghost Recons pale in comparison.  This game is much more entertaining and has more speed to it.  I have had the previous Ghost Recons and I always wound up not playing them after a short time, but this one is keeping my attention rather well.  Thanks GRIN :)

MORE SPEED TO IT? ARE YOU DRUNK OR SOMETHING?

Well seeing I have never drank in my life, that'd be a no.

Previous GRs were, you crawl on the ground, near a tree, over a hill, see some chubby guy behind some sandbags entrenched, you approach him, then someone floating in the air shoots you, or so it seems, because you have no idea where they are! :g_guns:

Yes, I enjoyed the heck out of GR1 and all of its addons (it's one of very few games I played through in its entirety) but GRAW is a quantum leap forward. The unscripted enemy AI makes for much less predictable firefights and it's remarkable how, with a correctly applied "Follow" or "Cover" command, your team can move from cover to cover and do not have to be maneuvered manually through a battle.

Last night I decided not to flank the first batch of rebels in the demo but to confront them head-on. It was superb, like something out of BLACK HAWK DOWN. My SAW gunners suppressed like they should, while my AI wingman and I advanced slowly up the street, picking off the rebels. In the middle of this battle I used the sometimes less than precise "on the fly" movement command to position a guy to cover the side street at the top of the funnel and he dealt with two patrols coming from that direction. Most impressive was how he suppressed the second patrol, which got into cover and a stalemate resulted, requiring me to flank these bad guys in order to finish them off. When my teammate had to reload, the pinned-down rebels popped up and nearly shot my head off, just as they should.

These firefights are as good and intense as anything in F.E.A.R., but the huge difference is the friendly AI. I don't think a lot of people realise yet that the buddy AI invites a different style of play from GR1's. Instead of positioning teams in cover and then babysitting them through the battle by body-switching, in GRAW (most of the time) you can rely on the AI to respond dynamically, finding their own cover and, with a "Follow" command, moving tactically under fire. This is a huge step forward from GR1. If you advance across the town square after taking out the HMG with a "Follow" command for the whole team, you'll see from their response to the rebel reinforcements just how effectively the Ghosts will assault and maneuver independently of the player.

Edited by Bahger

I agree with you Bahger, sometimes I am really impressed with the AI.

However, I still wish I could take control of the other bodies so I can

1) Position them EXACTLY where I want them and in what stance.

2) Have access to a sniper rifle/automatic weapon/extra grenades/extra 40mm grenades

I bet it's possible to mod this in, hopefully GRIN left the door open for the modders.

I ws recently in BF2 forums where they compared Gr3 and BF2.

questions :

Where t3h Tanks? vehicles?

Too slow-paced ? Wth?

Too easy kill a soldier...in Bf2 you must shoot five times to kill one, thats more realistic.

Too hard tocontrol Ai mates

(No jokes! they questioned that!)

Slow Moving seems to be No-go for peoples there and anywhere...

I agree with you Bahger, sometimes I am really impressed with the AI.

However, I still wish I could take control of the other bodies so I can

1) Position them EXACTLY where I want them and in what stance.

2) Have access to a sniper rifle/automatic weapon/extra grenades/extra 40mm grenades

I bet it's possible to mod this in, hopefully GRIN left the door open for the modders.

Point well taken RedHerring. However, my personal preference, for what it is worth, would be not to be able to switch between team members (which would be an immersion-killer for me in a game with such good tactical AI) but to improve the through-the-HUD orders system so that squadmates can be told not just where to move but in which direction to face. Ideally, there should be a HUD positioning icon so that the player can know that when he orders a teammate to a particular corner or cover, the man will position and face himself precisely. That and the AI (which selects stance) would, for me, take care of your item #1. The HUD orders interface is a little too imprecise at the moment, which makes it tempting to want to take over the soldier in order to get him positioned as precisely as you want. This is a little regrettable.

Edited by Bahger

I ws recently in BF2 forums where they compared Gr3 and BF2.

questions :

Where t3h Tanks? vehicles?

Too slow-paced ? Wth?

Too easy kill a soldier...in Bf2 you must shoot five times to kill one, thats more realistic.

Too hard tocontrol Ai mates

(No jokes! they questioned that!)

I seem to remember it requiring almost fifteen 5.56 rounds from the SAW at point blank range to take one enemy in BF2 standard (no mods, just the standard game).

Ain't that the truth. Slow is exactly how GRAW needs to be played. After all, it's four guys against multiple rebels. You have to maneuver carefully, move with cover fire and advance only in bounds and from cover to cover. We wanted tactical and we got it.

The unscripted enemy AI makes for much less predictable firefights

<_< Interesting.

I am more into co-op MP because (1) I can't be stuffed commanding a team and (2) friends playing team mate positions beats controlling an AI team any day of the week because you can coordinate much better.

Seeing as my PC is to outdated to run GRAW, I was wondering if the Enemy AI forces you to change tactics if you end up having to replay the mission and are they more random in their movements?

The reason I ask is because while the original GR was a great game, the missions sometimes became a little tedious if we had to keep doing it because we always took the best path meaning it got very repetetive once we worked out the exact movements/positions of the enemies seeing as they never changed.

Now if the enemy AI in GRAW is much more random and unpredictable and forces you to rethink you approach without taking the same path all the time, then that would be great. :)

Edited by Hyperblade

<_< Interesting.

I am more into co-op MP because (1) I can't be stuffed commanding a team and (2) friends playing team mate positions beats controlling an AI team any day of the week because you can coordinate much better.

Now seeing as my PC is to outdated to run GRAW, I was wondering if the Enemy AI forces you to change tactics if you end up having to replay the mission and are they more random in their movements?

The reason I ask is because while the original GR was a great game, once my friends and I worked out the exact movements/positions of the enemies as they never changed, missions sometimes became a little tedious if we had to keep doing it because we always took the best path as that was the be way to approach the mission.

There is randomization of enemy placement in GRAW. It's subtle but definitely noticeable. For example, in the demo mission, I have found enemy sniper positions to vary from play to play and last night I was suprised to find the gas tanker quite heavily defended where in previous attempts you were basically free to blow the thing up on approaching the little plaza where it's located.

<_< Interesting.

Now seeing as my PC is to outdated to run GRAW, I was wondering if the Enemy AI forces you to change tactics if you end up having to replay the mission and are they more random in their movements?

The reason I ask is because while the original GR was a great game, once my friends and I worked out the exact movements/positions of the enemies as they never changed, missions sometimes became a little tedious if we had to keep doing it because we always took the best path as that was the be way to approach the mission.

they do act differently

i used same tactics milliions of times ,always differently they acted...different methods and covers...