Need Video Card Help

:wacko: Ok..I'm so confused...I need a tech head to help me out here...

My current specs:

AMD 64 3400+

Asus K8V SE Deluxe

1 GB Corsair PC 3200

ATI Radeon 9600XT

As you can imagine, I need to beef up the vid card to better enjoy GR:AW.

Look here for my ugly visuals: http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33505

I want to stay with AGP, so I don't have to reload a whole new system just to switch to a PCI-E mobo.

After alot of personal research, I have found that the two top contenders for AGP are ATI's X850 XT and NVIDIA's 7800 GS GPUs.

Here's my question. Are either of these cards capable of doing dynamic lighting or are only the PCI-E cards capable of this?

The NVIDIA choice is a bit cheaper and would allow me to stick another 512MB stick of RAM in the machine...but ATI is a sponsor of GR:AW so I don't know if an ATI card will run better...

To add confusion, there is wild speculation that NVIDIA is about to release an AGP version of their 7900 GT vid card next month: http://www.techamok.com/?pid=637

If you are knowledgeable in this area (and I know alot of you are) please advise me on the best choice for a good looking and playing GR:AW...

The two gainward cards at overclockers (see http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...eries_363.html), the Bliss 7800GS and 7800GS+ are actually a 7800GT and 7900GT respectivly. These are the two best AGP cards available by a mile.

They're not official nVidia models though, Gainward themselves bought in the PCIe GT chips instead of AGP GS's and bolted them on to AGP cards with bridge chips. Because of this there's a bit of a premium included in the price. The Techamok article is a bit confusing, I don't know are they referring to the Gainward cards, or if they mean that there will be official nVidia models released, which would drive down the price of the Gainward cards as they won't be the only ones with GTs on AGP any more.

:wacko: Ok..I'm so confused...I need a tech head to help me out here...

My current specs:

AMD 64 3400+

Asus K8V SE Deluxe

1 GB Corsair PC 3200

ATI Radeon 9600XT

To add confusion, there is wild speculation that NVIDIA is about to release an AGP version of their 7900 GT vid card next month: http://www.techamok.com/?pid=637

If you are knowledgeable in this area (and I know alot of you are) please advise me on the best choice for a good looking and playing GR:AW...

I've got the X800 Pro and I'm looking to upgrade to the 850 XT as benchmarks are showing it's 20-25% faster/fps than mine. I think the demo runs very good (30 fps or better) with med-high settings across the board... so I'd say the 850 right now plus you can get it for $350-375 range. How much is the new Nvidia card gonna run?

Did you see that corsair special on RAM they just ran? $138 for XMS paired 1 Gig sticks (2 Gig total) after rebate... I wanted that so bad but don't have the cash right now :(

Edited by tangovictor

I'm loving the AGP bliss 7800GS 512Mb, it has totally given my games shelf a new lease of life, it handles everything I have thrown at it easily. All high on FEAR, Lockdown, BF2, HL2, everything runs very smooth. You can even get vert sync enabled.

Ive got the Powercolor X850XT 256mb and im getting 50fps and over with all settings on high, my cpu isnt as fast as yours (3200+ Amd 64) so you would be better off than me!, google the card for reviews, its the quickest 256 mb AGP card money can buy. (well it was when i bought it) :grin1:

Edited by SRS_Undertaker

ATI and the 1K series or the 1600 PRO AGP is the only card that supports the AA and HD. if you look around the threads you will see people complaining about no AA.

Well read this inter view about the 1000 Ati cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/341/

If you are buying a card for this game Nvida does not have the AA HD technology that ATI has. They might be faster cards but they can not handle this game.

I am going to buy a ATI 1600 PRO AGP 512MB with some Zalman cooling fans to keep heat down. This shouold make my system compatable for quite some time.

The GeForce 7900 GT product features 24 pixel processors, 8 vertex shader processors, is clocked at 450MHz and sports 1320MHz 256-bit GDDR3 memory. The product is aimed at sub-$300 per card marker

Jeezzz... I thought Rocky's card was the end of all AGPs. Thanks for sharing your research en4rcment. Thats $200 less than PCI-E, sure its not as fast, but a cheaper alternative to majority of ppl looking into upgrading.

long live AGPs!

After alot of personal research, I have found that the two top contenders for AGP are ATI's X850 XT and NVIDIA's 7800 GS GPUs.

The NVIDIA choice is a bit cheaper and would allow me to stick another 512MB stick of RAM in the machine...but ATI is a sponsor of GR:AW so I don't know if an ATI card will run better...

I have had a preference for Radeons over GeForce cards since the 9500/9700 came out a few years back, but I am telling people that if you want to get an AGP card right now, you should go with the GeForce 7 series (ask Rocky!)

An X800/X850 card these days as they are older tech ... in fact, ATI is even nixing their X1800 series soon:

http://theinquirer.net/?article=31305

The other benefit is the 7xxx series run cooler.

Here's a good site to compare X850XT vs a GF 7800GS

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.htm...l2=282&chart=88

Note, that is a X850XT PE.

ATI and the 1K series or the 1600 PRO AGP is the only card that supports the AA and HD. if you look around the threads you will see people complaining about no AA.

If you are buying a card for this game Nvida does not have the AA HD technology that ATI has. They might be faster cards but they can not handle this game.

I am going to buy a ATI 1600 PRO AGP 512MB with some Zalman cooling fans to keep heat down. This shouold make my system compatable for quite some time.

I'm considering exactly the same card as a replacement for my 5950U. Having decided I can't afford to upgrade to PCI-e , I also need to stick with AGP.

Out of interest what's the rest of your system spec and what's your current gfx card and does it play GRAW at the moment?

I'm running:

AMD Sempron 2500+

1gig PC2700 Crucial DDR ram

Onboard 5.1 sound

Leadtek 5950U 256mb

Obviously the card has to go but I'm concerned the rest still isn't upto the job. I know it meets the rest of min specs but if the games's gonna struggle I'm not even going to bother with the gfx upgrade.

Edited by FatmanDaz

I'm considering exactly the same card as a replacement for my 5950U. Having decided I can't afford to upgrade to PCI-e , I also need to stick with AGP.

Out of interest what's the rest of your system spec and what's your current gfx card and does it play GRAW at the moment?

I'm running:

AMD Sempron 2500+

1gig PC2700 Crucial DDR ram

Onboard 5.1 sound

Leadtek 5950U 256mb

Obviously the card has to go but I'm concerned the rest still isn't upto the job. I know it meets the rest of min specs but if the games's gonna struggle I'm not even going to bother with the gfx upgrade.

FatmanDaz,

I don't know alot about the AMD as I built my rig with an ASUS P4P motb, P3.0, with 2 gig RAM and I added a sound blaster card the new one from creative.

My curent graphics card is the ASUS 9600XT with 125mb and it plays the demo just fine.

I also have a 430w Power Supply.

My hard drive for gaming this game is a 35gb Rapator.

The Nvida cards might be faster/slightly at least on the AGP side, but ATI has a long term technology of Anti Alising plus High Def graphics.

From my reading on these fourms it sounds like a 512mb graphics card is the key to this game as well as the new games coming out. I don't have much intrest in other games other than GRAW or R6 (if they fix it like they did this game).

ATI 1600 PRO I am going to add a Zalman fan to the card to keep the tem down.

Pops,

Edited by WilPoPson

Below is my pc specs:

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+

GeForce NX6600GT DDR3 128MB 8AGP

Kingston PC-3200 DDR400 1.5GB (3 slots

K8T MS-6702 (v1.X) ATX Mainboard

Western Digital 80GB Sata Drive

1 combo DVD/CD-writer

Samsung SyncMaster 713n

Runs great at 1280x1024!!

---danish

Ive got the Powercolor X850XT  256mb and im getting 50fps and over with all settings on high, my cpu isnt as fast as yours (3200+ Amd 64) so you would be better off than me!, google the card for reviews, its  the quickest  256 mb AGP card money can buy. (well it was when i bought it)  :grin1:

Yea... ok. 50Fps? I don't think so. EVERYTHING on high? I don't think so...

What is better? ATi X85O or 16oo AGP

I

Daft logic but a couple of my clan squad have the 850's and "suggest" they are better than the 1600pro because they cost more!

There are spec differences between the two but as to how critical they are I don't know. As cost is an issue for me I'm definately sticking with the 1600pro.

Ive got the Powercolor X850XT  256mb and im getting 50fps and over with all settings on high, my cpu isnt as fast as yours (3200+ Amd 64) so you would be better off than me!, google the card for reviews, its  the quickest  256 mb AGP card money can buy. (well it was when i bought it)  :grin1:

Yea... ok. 50Fps? I don't think so. EVERYTHING on high? I don't think so...

Go take a look at the screenshots i made, then come back and awnser. :wall:

I am running a 7800GS (XFX - 256MB) and it is very nice indeed. However that jammy wee git Rocky got his hands on a 512MB version *Doh* :wall: I didn't even know that was availible......garrhh.......