Field of View strange huh?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solution - widescreen!

problem - widescreen bug!

the real solution would be to play at a higher resolution. then the real problem becomes the $3000 you need to spend on the hardware.

Solution - next patch! :)

You don't need to spend $3000 to make the game look good. It looked great at 1280x1024 on my 17" LCD with a 7800GT (which if you get the cheaper, more powerful 7900GT for around $270, and a 17" LCD for around $150, for less than 1/6th of what you claim you can make the game run at a good resolution on a good monitor.

HERE is the 7900GT

HERE is the 17" LCD.

I personally run the game on a ViewSonic VX2025 (ran me $320) and a 7900GTX ($500), and get smooth framerates at 1680x1050 without a hitch (except the widescreen bug). Even an extra 512MB of RAM doesn't cost much, and my CPU (Athlon 64 3200+) can be had for under $80 (due to huge AMD price cuts). You could build a very good system with a budget of around $1000, especially if you use parts from your old computer (keyboard, mouse, speakers, case, hard drive, etc etc.)

Well the field of vieuw/zom could be better, when I walk a straat I see cans popping up 5 meter in front of me, I should be able to see them at at least 30 meters.....

Next to that I would like the various zoom like GR had, zo you cold zoom in steps. To make it "realistic" the zoom should perhaps be a bit slow....

But I realise this feature would stress video cards even further....

Solution - widescreen!

the real solution would be to play at a higher resolution. then the real problem becomes the $3000 you need to spend on the hardware.

You don't need to spend $3000 to make the game look good. It looked great at 1280x1024 on my 17" LCD with a 7800GT (which if you get the cheaper, more powerful 7900GT for around $270, and a 17" LCD for around $150, for less than 1/6th of what you claim you can make the game run at a good resolution on a good monitor.

HERE is the 7900GT

HERE is the 17" LCD.

I personally run the game on a ViewSonic VX2025 (ran me $320) and a 7900GTX ($500), and get smooth framerates at 1680x1050 without a hitch (except the widescreen bug). Even an extra 512MB of RAM doesn't cost much, and my CPU (Athlon 64 3200+) can be had for under $80 (due to huge AMD price cuts). You could build a very good system with a budget of around $1000, especially if you use parts from your old computer (keyboard, mouse, speakers, case, hard drive, etc etc.)

i was referring to a configuration that's becoming standard for the next-gen games - a dual card setup. running either SLI or CF with a processor like yours will undoubtedly bottleneck the performance, so that'a a hefty upgrade right there. if you don't go for a new socket and accordingly DDR2, you're saving yourself like a $1000 i guess, including a motherboard, CPU, and new RAM. but you'll be forced to do this at a later point and will obviously be slightly behind in performance. next you'll probably want a new PSU, to support the two cards. now if you've got no heat issues, you're good to go, or otherwise invest into a water cooling kit or at least a better case... such a system, together with a decent size monitor, good sound card, user peripherals will probably run a little over $3,000, depending which brands you're using. assuming your new chipset is a Conroe design with fast DDR2 and high end video cards, now you can run the game with full effects at 12x16(19 for widescreen) without a hitch. i know how a single 7900gtx performs in GRAW, on high details it will still get gas when around hordes of people in MP. i mean you will experience FPS loss no matter what you got, but dropping almost half the frames when you up above 120, or struggling to keep it over 40 in crowded spots is a big difference. when you feel it in 2008, you'll be amazed.

Ah, I see. In that case, it isn't GRAW specific then, as most, if not all, games will have steep requirements. Yes, my CPU is a bottleneck right now, but spending another $200-$300 for a different socket 939 cpu still isn't much. I don't like upgrading everything at once, I personally do incremental upgrades. Upgrading everything is going to be expensive, I agree with that, but you don't need as much as you say. Let me go down a list and see if I miss anything...

Case - Antec P180 $130

DVD Burner - NEC 16x DVD+/-R $29

Hard Drive - 150GB Raptor $250

Memory - CORSAIR XMS DDR2800 2x1GB $275

Monitor - BenQ FP93GX 2ms LCD $240

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 (Socket LGA775( $145

Power Supply - OCZ GameXStream 700 Watt PSU $130

CPU - Core 2 Duo E6400 $260

Sound Card - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic $112

Speakers - Logitech X-530 5.1 Setup $54

Video Card - eVGA 7900GT, New Revision $265

Overall Cost - $1890

That may seem like a lot, but look at the hard drive, a 150GB Raptor. Knock off $150 if you want something with a little less performance but much more storage. The RAM could be DDR2 533 or 667 if you wanted to save a little money. Not to mention if you go with AMD their CPUs and motherboards are cheaper too. The sound would be fine with an Audigy 2 if you feel cheap. If graphics aren't very important, you could get a 7600GT for around $160. So if you went with AM2, slightly slower DDR2 RAM, a lesser sound card, and a cheaper hard drive you could save close to $500. A little over a grand, but the performance would be great still. Now if you only upgrade a little at a time, you save even more. Use parts from your old computer, still more saved. So to say you need a $3000 machine to run this game at high settings is ludicrous. Now we're getting off-topic though, so back to the topic at hand.

Widescreen!

Yes, I have no life. Yes, I am bored right now. Feel free to mock me as such. :)

Edited by Nutlink

personally, i'd never buy a 965 board. the PCI-e slots are only 8 pcie lanes each. if you shortchange yourself on the memory by going below 800MHz, you'll actually end up with performance worse than that of DDR-400. if you're buying a C2D proc, going with anything less than than E6600 will give you half the L2 cache, which would be a handicap in the long run. the E6600 is around $369. i'm afraid this year a little touch up to your hardware here and there just won't do, though you could surely stick with a 939 for a while longer... imo, buying parts one by one over time will keep your choices very limited, causing you to make compromises in performance.

though GRAW isn't the only game with such high expectations of your wallet, it requires a system way beyond today's standard minimum specs to just run, not to mention become playable in HD resolutions. if you don't play online you'll probably never need a dual card setup, as there isn't enough AI on the SP maps to slow an SM3.0 card down. small, busy MP maps will tear it apart unfortunately.

Price vs performance, the E6400 beats out pretty much everything out there. So drop the Raptor and go with a 250GB drive for $80-90, and spend the extra on the CPU to get that E6600 if you like. As of right now for motherboards, they are extremely limited as to what can run a C2D, especially out of the box. Personally I'd like to see an nforce 5 board. However, my example wasn't meant to show the best you can get, but something that will last for a decent amount of time and within a decent budget for a good gaming system that will run games at decent settings. Not everyone is going to say "I have to get a E6600 or higher, a 975 board, 4GB low latency DDR2 800 RAM, dual 7950GX2s, and RAID Raptors." A person with a limited budget might but a E6400, or even a E6300, a cheaper board, DDR2 533, and a single GPU. CF and SLI won't become a standard I believe. It's more of an enthusiast thing, and not something I'm a big fan of. I'd rather take the money I'm spending on two cards and buy a bigger, better one, and eventually if it becomes more cost effecient that upgrading to a newer card, buy a 2nd for SLI. It's not the best setup in the world, but it'll get the job done and at a reasonable price.

I was running GRAW at 1024x768 medium settings using a vanilla 6800, A64 3200+, and 1GB cheap RAM when it first came out, and while I had the occasional hiccup here and there it was nothing to complain about. My point is that you can still run GRAW at decent settings using somewhat older hardware.

I suppose I should amend my comment about buying parts one at a time. I do try to somewhat "future proof" the parts I buy. For example, my X-Fi sound card should last a while and in at least another system or two. My twin Raptor 74GB should last a while as well. My Logitech speakers should last a few years. My widescreen monitor should last another few builds. The only parts I don't buy at different times are my motherboard, CPU, and RAM (all of which I'm hoping to replace in the near future as well). The reason I bought my 7900GTX was with the intention of it being paired with a C2D setup, or possible AMDs 4x4. I may have bought it prematurely, but I'm loving it either way.

Edited by Nutlink

Solution - widescreen!

HERE is the 7900GT

HERE is the 17" LCD.

i was referring to a configuration that's becoming standard for the next-gen games - a dual card setup. running either SLI or CF with a processor like yours will undoubtedly bottleneck the performance, so that'a a hefty upgrade right there. if you don't go for a new socket and accordingly DDR2, you're saving yourself like a $1000 i guess, including a motherboard, CPU, and new RAM. but you'll be forced to do this at a later point and will obviously be slightly behind in performance. next you'll probably want a new PSU, to support the two cards. now if you've got no heat issues, you're good to go, or otherwise invest into a water cooling kit or at least a better case... such a system, together with a decent size monitor, good sound card, user peripherals will probably run a little over $3,000, depending which brands you're using. assuming your new chipset is a Conroe design with fast DDR2 and high end video cards, now you can run the game with full effects at 12x16(19 for widescreen) without a hitch. i know how a single 7900gtx performs in GRAW, on high details it will still get gas when around hordes of people in MP. i mean you will experience FPS loss no matter what you got, but dropping almost half the frames when you up above 120, or struggling to keep it over 40 in crowded spots is a big difference. when you feel it in 2008, you'll be amazed.

That's odd. My socket 478 3.0 p4, 2GB of ram, x-fi and only a 6800GS does fine at 1280x1024. Granted i have to run with shadows off but it's smooth at around 35-40fps at 8x antistrophic. No difference with hordes of people on any server. I woould think the 7900GT with pci express wouldn't have any issues.

Good discovery - I was trying to work out what seemed wrong with GRAW when I played it and you've hit the nail on the head. I constantly felt like my view was restricted, and particularly when turning to aim the gun it did feel like it was zoomed and hard to turn it swiftly and accurately. Well done, Im sure GRIN can tweak this.

I have to laugh ROCOAFZ at the fact that while you seem to have quite an up-to-date system you still have to turn down the effects to get it to run properly ingame. And still only just getting the minimum FPS to make the game playable.

More optimizing req'd GRIN.

Good discovery - I was trying to work out what seemed wrong with GRAW when I played it and you've hit the nail on the head. I constantly felt like my view was restricted, and particularly when turning to aim the gun it did feel like it was zoomed and hard to turn it swiftly and accurately. Well done, Im sure GRIN can tweak this.

I have to laugh ROCOAFZ at the fact that while you seem to have quite an up-to-date system you still have to turn down the effects to get it to run properly ingame. And still only just getting the minimum FPS to make the game playable.

More optimizing req'd GRIN.

Actually it's not up to date at all by gaming standards. remember... 6800 is AGP and socket 478 is almost 3 years old since it's a prescott with hyperthreading.

Btw in big Co-op firefights (100 enemies plue) in GR1 with my TI4600 ultra... at the time the latest i had to shut off shadows also. And at that time it was THE BEST you could buy.

the FOV is fine if you are playing in widescreen mode

the game was probly developed in 16:10 or 16:9 (like every other new game thats worth playing)

you must be playing on a "square" 4:3 monitor if ur fov looks squashed up

if you have a 4:3 LCD screen running a DVI connection it is possible to run all games in 16:10 or 16:9 ;) if you have an ATI card just turn on "use centered timings" in the gfx card options and im unsure of the nvidia equivlent but i think its called scale image to panel or something??

anyway this will allow you to choose widesreen resolutions on ur 4:3 LCD, you will now be able to play in 1280x800 & 1280x768 (both 16:10) and 1280x720 (16:9)

this will give you a thin black bar at the top and bottom of screen but it looks sooo much better

i havnt played a game in 4:3 for almost 2 years now lol because all new games are developed in widescreen mode.. except for bf2 but eh who cares about bf2 lolz..