FULL GAME FEEDBACK ONLY

OK one question for all you lucky dogs who are playing your hearts out while I'm not.  :(  How many SP modes does GRAW offer?

Anyone! :unsure: I'll I want to know is if GRAW has SP gametypes like GR (firefight,defend,lonewolf etc.) and what are they and are they playable on both SP and MP maps?

Can anyone reply about what KRP asked ... simple yes or no?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK one question for all you lucky dogs who are playing your hearts out while I'm not.  :(  How many SP modes does GRAW offer?

Anyone! :unsure: I'll I want to know is if GRAW has SP gametypes like GR (firefight,defend,lonewolf etc.) and what are they and are they playable on both SP and MP maps?

They're all playing the game. We're not gonna get any more feedback for the next months because they're all glued to the darn game right now. :wall: Getting my copy tomorrow. :D

I'm an original GR player from way back joining thru UBI and playing with all the original clubs. Such as =RAV= VoD AoD GI Joe NET ZA.... ECT...............Anyhow being from the original era of GR I would say the initial release of GR1 DEMO would have gotten a C+ from just about all the peeps playing back then. Until the game was patched about the 2nd time we really had alot of problems with GR1. I am not here to advocate releasing a game that needs work after I spend 50 bucks, but I will say that our feed back sent to the DEVS will be used. It would be silly if I didn't buy the game based on amateurs who want a game perfect and spoon fed to them from the get go. But it would not be unrealistic for me to expect a patch within the next 2 weeks based on these and other boards. So for this release which is GR all over again just too new to see its potential I give it a C+ which I am sure with time and patches will be an A+.......

P1LLs

Edited by P1LLs

well i guess sounds are there but faint.

i noticed when you wound a player in the leg they dont drag it anymore like they did in GR.

i know you cant run with a wounded leg so why change that.

i would love to see a toggleable run,and crouch key.

getting hung up on walls that are knee high why is this? we should be able to scale it or jump it.

aiming in prone really sucks. cant shoot at someone down the street that is prone to. game wont allow your gun to aim that low. why?

having to rebuy everything when you die sucks hard core.

minor fixes

but for leagues wanting to ladder with GR3 they WILL have some problems with this game.

GR1 will never be beat as the best FPS game ever.

Edited by CBA_Bludawg

you probably won't be getting it from  GRIN and will have to wait for modders to do that for you... if they get access to the editor.

Zjj you said it all right there, those who can, do. Those who can't whine all the way home, about what they'd do if they could.

Fed Ex showed up at noon while on lunch break. I loaded it, played SP about an hour and I love it. Then headed back to work. Tired to think of good excuse but than realized I am the boss, who cares.

I played mp tonight ,not many severs to choice from yet. The maps are so so big, and look great. Domination is a nice game type but we need the few more options (not just TDM in a few weeks-months). Coop is great but coop missions that we all nowhere every enemy is not cut it for long.

I do not like this buying weapons thing. Isn't that what they do in Counter Strike?

Overall not perfect but the best money I have spent on software since [GR]. I love this game and think I will be deleting GR1 from this computer( I will leave it on my work computer). Owner of [GR], DS, IT, when play disk got destroyed bought [GR] Gold (could have got [Thing that should not be spoken of here] I know, I loved it that much), and now GR:AW.

Thank you so much Grin.

P.S. Please give our great GR community mod tools soon.

I have some questions/thoughts on the MP, I haven't played it much, and I haven't tried the MP at all.

But as a guy that played GR from the day the demo came out there were some glaring differences, in gameplay.

I looked at the domination mode with an open mind. I actually like objective based mp, and gaining control of and holding parts of a map are objectives. But what happened to no respawns? To me, one of the things that seperated GR's mp was the no respawn. Folks simply played with a little more care. You knew that if you died you were waiting. Obviously thats not what happens in this version. It doesnt even look like its an option. It's great if folks want to have 23 respawns, but shouldn't there be the option to not have them ala "Classic GR?" In the short time I was playing folks were just running all over the place. Again who am I to knock anyone's style, I am speaking strictly on gameplay. It makes a difference. It's what drew many of us to the game. I have read that lms types of games are comming and I think thats great will the no respawn option be there? And with it will the "buying" of weapons and such become an option thats server based as well?

Maybe this isn't the place to ask the questions. I can't honestly give too much feedback on the game, tbh I was more blown away but being able to respawn in the middle of a round. (several times if I must add cause all I was doing was dying)

If I had to say anything it doesn't, at least in adverserial play, seem to have the same tactical feeling that the original GR had. At least not yet.

second thing: the performance is much better than that of the demo! this is excactly is was hoping for!
How so?

they mustve optimized the game since the demo-build....i have shorter loading-times, less mouse lag and i can up the settings a little bit.

i even set the "managed_textures"-settings in the renderer-xml all to "high" and it works fine with 1 gb of ram.

as i played the demo i was thinking of building up a new rig, now im not so sure about the necessity of that anymore. but on the other hand....it definately looks better with all the eyecandy turned on. saw the game on my brothers rig (p4 3ghz, 1gb ram, 7900gt). he ran the game in 1024x768, med textures, 8x af and all other options on high.

I think this is a keeper. Once everything gets going with MP servers and such, it will be pretty nice. The only issue I have is that I have a 256MB card, so I can't get high textures, oh well, time to upgrade as they say (after 5 months of having my 256MB NVidia 7800 GTX :angry: ); also, the aliasing needs serious addressing in order to look good on a LCD monitor. I don't think I'll be taking up the cubic yard of deskspace with a high-res 22-24" CRT monitor just to make GRAW look good. Other than those two issues, very fun game, enjoy it a lot.

:grin1:

Edited by Hacksaww

Just finished 2 missions. I am playing on 'hard', with no red diamonds. This game is really difficult and enjoyable. If enemies are present, it is difficult to move and take over even half a block. For a long time, I was waiting for such a game. Real life strategies work, infact they have to be used. Unless the enemies are suppressed or distracted it is not always possible to kill them head on.

The maps are quite large, with excellent level design and quite a few paths to reach an objective, but till now, I have only been given objectives one by one and they cannot be tackled in any order like GR1. I would have liked that.

The guns and aiming mechanism are excellent. I love the optical sight view, the gun modelling is very good and the gun and bullet effects and sound are very immersive.

The sound is so good. It varies at different places as it should. A lot of work has gone into it. The bullet hit sounds vary with different surfaces and give the game a lot of immersion.

I am liking the largely destructive environments. I was taking cover behind some crates and they broke down after a few shots hit them. We can shoot through thin partitions as well.

I will give more feedback as I play further.

Overall, I am really enjoying this true tactical shooter. It is the best I have seen till date. Good job Grin. :grin1:

There is only ONE SP MODE, we can just play the missions. There are no other modes present. I was hoping to play firefight, bot-hunt, defend etc. in Co-op and SP. I just hope that they get added when the mini add-on comes out. Just imagine the gameplay if we have 'random enemy groups' in the firefight mode with this superb AI.

Can tell you its ALOT easier on your pc then the demo ....even detected high settings for my 6800 agp 128 mb card. still has prone bug but runs alot smoother with little or no mouse lag depending on your vid settings.

btw buddy let me install his PURCHASed copy on my pc for testing ....till he made me uninstall an hour later =\

I think those with lower end vid cards will be happy with the difference. I just have to wonder why they made the demo so crappy on vid settings when full version is so smooth.... still jaggies though.

Demos are always this way, early builds of the game with limit support. Their to busy or close to crunch time usually, and just don't have the man hours to put in.

i noticed when you wound a player in the leg they dont drag it anymore like they did in GR.

The reason for that is pretty clear when you play through a few SP missions. They already take a good 1-2 hours to complete on their own. If you were limping from a shot to the leg early in the mission, you'd be looking at 4-5 hours with most of the time spent dragging your sorry butt around the map rather than actually playing the game, which would be a huge issue for most gamers.

If the maps were smaller like the original GR, then it wouldn't matter so much, but these are much MUCH larger.

The reason for that is pretty clear when you play through a few SP missions. They already take a good 1-2 hours to complete on their own. If you were limping from a shot to the leg early in the mission, you'd be looking at 4-5 hours with most of the time spent dragging your sorry butt around the map rather than actually playing the game, which would be a huge issue for most gamers.

If the maps were smaller like the original GR, then it wouldn't matter so much, but these are much MUCH larger.

Right On :thumbsup:

Ok - I'm gonna make it as objective as possible and let me start with this: I hated the game Counterstrike ever since Ghost Recon came out. I love slow and steady play, with skill required, not mastery of jumping moves and run and gun tactics... with that said, my summary:

Single Player - impressive maps and details. Definately a slow and steady team requirement to this mode. Graphical effects are good but I could do with less of the dynamic lighting effects at times. Getting a bloom glare effect off of concrete just seems out of place to me.

MP Coop - I'm sure this will be equally pleasing to those loving the SP mode - just more fun to chat through comms with buds online and less tactical map 'administration'.

MP DOM - stinks. I'm not gonna dig into details about what is missing - its obvious what is missing, traditional GR MP modes.

Overall (no mode in mind). If and when I can afford to upgrade my rig to a bustling cutting edge (top 5% of all pc's out there today) I may love the way this runs and feels, but right now it is more like GR 2.5 to me than GR3 in terms of graphics and looks.

It does play super for singleplayer tactical movements, but even there the framerates are so low I'm missing opportunities for a quick kill since I'm too busy fumbling through the command menu trying to get my troops to stop walking in front of me while executing my last command, and enter a new one while still trying to take cover and shoot at the enemy who instantly sees me and is firing on my position. You shouldn't need to be a 'pro' at a game to have fun at it, and dying while trying to execute a sequence of click, scroll, click, click, down stance, right mouse click, aim - shoot .... just seems like alot to tell my guys to do something they should be reacting to naturally rather than walking in front of me as I stop to shoot a guy. :unsure:

In total, no "WOW" factor for me personally compared to what I was expecting... and a short shelf life without radical improvements to the MP team modes.

I was WOWed when I installed Half Life 2 and saw the graphical elements, and I am also WOWed at their updates of the CSS online MP maps (e.g. Dust) to include High Dynamic Lighting with bloom effects while running at over 90 fps with 8x AF and 4x AA... on my current rig and no lag. Their engine has decent ragdoll physics effects (not as good as GRAW - IF i get a physics card add-on, but I'm not shelling out $$$ for that.) I keep asking myself why this isn't possible with GRAW? Does the engine truly dictate this much and if so - why was this engine chosen?

It just doesn't all add-up in my head even though I am a GR fanboy at heart.... why not? :(

some maps in [GR] were very large and we limped when wounded. and who cares about SP missions. im talking about MP. ( co-op missions isnt a big factor in mp fps games) out of all the fps games i have they are all mainly played lms/teamdeath match. you never see alot of co-op mission servers. they try and make everything as real as they can but no wounding. kinda gay

still a great game.

and with no sdk now is really gay for us modders. who cares about a mission editor. same 5 maps differ missions all the time. lol game will die fast like brothers in arms did.

best game for co-op is flashpoint and vbs1.

armed assault in june will own.

Some GRAW notes from a Ghost Recon n00b.

Thats right, I have never played a GR game before, unless you count the GRAW demo that is; so there will be no comparing GRAW to other GR titles from me.

I played a bit of co-op as thats my favorite mode and I really liked it. Trying to type as opposed to using a comms rose was a bit of a pain, but with the other VOIP out there, it won't be that much of a loss to me. Overall I think a basic comm rose would be a really good thing to be added for pick-up games though, or even a few voice binds.

I did not miss the lack of AA as bad as I thought I would, not that I wouldn't use it if it was available. I thought the player models that I could see when zoomed in was really good. Usually it seems that viewing others through a scope reduced them to only a few pixels. Taking down a bogie at range and being able to see them actually stumble and then fall was really nice.

The guy that was hosting did not want to be teamleader but I guess that currently is not an option. Being able to designate someone else as the TL would be a good thing to implement. He said that he could not use waypoints and for us to just follow the other ones.

As we proceeded to the first point, we eliminated a few enemies. I thought everything went smooth and I noticed no lag or warping or etc. We got to the APC and then the server running the game crashed. Rats. It was the only co-op server that was running at 0500. Rats again.

I would have hosted but my cable is only 256K up. I was not sure if that was enough bandwidth for it. I searched on this site and see that 512 is listed as what is needed, but I was not sure if that was for co-op or the other modes or what.

So I switched to the single player. I thought the tutorial was cool in that it told you what to do but unlike some other games, it did not hold things up if you didn't want to actually do everything the guy said. I was only able to meet up with the second ghost before I had to leave for work.

So far its been a very enjoyable game.

My .02:

PROS:

-One shot, One kill

-Nice gun sounds/gun ambiance. GRIN said they wanted it to sound like the gun battle in heat. They got close enough.

-Vastness of maps

-(personal taste: more urban maps and not so much freaking forest area)

CONS(Sigh):

-(MP)I hate the buying system in CS which is an 8 year old game so why the hell would it be a 'cool feature' in a brand new game that supposed to be one of the top titles of it's genré? It's annoying. Just give us a nice selection of guns and let us always use the config we like that we get used to and become good at using. How can we play a metaphor for elite military men when we send in the team with a ghetto setup and make them buy more parts as they play? At least give us the option to have a hotkey to gear up our weapons the way we like it instead of taking an hour to "Shop" for our parts everytime. Am I hear to fight or shop?

-Guns. Related to above. Where are the old skool guns? SA80 series/L85A1, MP5, M4, M16, etc.

-Domination is being touted like a 'cool new feature' when it is clearly just a rip-off of the Battlefield gameplay. Everybody knows this, it's not new, so why is it the first and most advertised MP gameplay (It's even on the game box). If GRAW is going to rip off old-school play systems from games, how about ripping off Ghost Recon? Goes without saying, built in it should have Siege, LMS, Hamburger Hill, Assasinate/General off the bat. Hopefully the patches will solve this.

-I bought the Xbox 360 version of GRAW even though fighting with two little stick drives me crazy just so I could feel GRAW's sweet juices before the PC version dropped. The one thing I HATED was the fact that you had to hold a button, go through a sub-menu to select a grenade or pistol. Thank god the PC version will have a key for grenades and a key for pistol or quick mouse scroll wheel like GR. ######!!?? A weapons submenu in the PC version??!! Please tell me where this is possibly a good idea. If there is a way and I am missing how, plz correct me.

-(SP) I'm not a SP dude. To me SP is only for training ground to go fight real players in MP. So often I won't play the game, but usually the "Instant Action" option in a game or set up a LAN server for just me and I can go through a map shooting AI for target practice. It seems impossible to set up something like this in GRAW. I Don't care to draw waypoints and use that completely retared UAV (Cheat drone). If I wanted to jack with this, I'd be into RPG games. So for the many ppl like me, just allow us to go through MP or SP maps just lone-wolf blasting away for practice is ideal. The Xbox360 version has this covered and then some. Like the defend mode where all the AI's on the map come raiding your base and you got to protect the Alamo so-to-speak. Where is all this in PC? I know this has been beaten into the ground, but we should be able to switch ppl in SP. In GR I know a lot of ppl played it the way I do: The other guys are really just your gun caddy's. When you need a sniper rifle, jump in sniper guy, need to mow down some fulls, jump into support guy's body.

-Graphics. As talked about in other threads, the look and Hardware requirements hardly match up. HL2 in my older, slower rig looked like a freaking movie (1900x1200/AMD55/NV6800U/1GB/most settings on highish except for some doozies). Now on my faster rig, I'm dropping settings way down to get a decent framerate in GRAW (1600x900/AMD57/NV7900GTX/2GB/settings to mediumish). So at the end of the day I'm supposed to have a "top of the line" new game and it looks like a polished version of GR1. If I didn't know when it came out, I would have pegged it to the pre-DOOM3/HL2/Far Cry days. Is the code jacked? Does it just need time in patches to optimize? Hopefully so.

-Maps/Gameplay(MP). Nothing touches "Embasiege" yet. Don't get me wrong, I like vast maps on occasion. But in GR1 we still liked to kick it down to some Creekbed or lil dox map when we only have a few players. And how we groaned when the server brought up the huge maps so we can spend 98% of our game time running around and not fighting. So far the MP maps are all the same map basically with some minor variations. If maybe 2 were like that then the others changes styles and sizes that would really help the variety. Sometimes I feel there are TOO many paths across the map whether going high or low or through one of the many allies. Like the GR1 maps, there were only a handful of known routes so there was some strategy. Instead of a numbers game that you happen to run into approaching enemies.

Conclusion:

GRAW is a hell of a start, and has done most of the journey to a great game, but to me is lacking small but hugely defining features that make the game incredibly limited to me. I look fwd to some great patches.

I have to say its interesting as to why they put a point-buy system in place....if you are good, you get better weaponry to make it easier for you?

If you are mediocre you get to keep the same weapons without the fun stuff?

Oh well.

This game is BETTER than GR1

PERIOD

The graphics are clearly very high....good, means longevity for the game itself....I appreciate that...

Can tell you its ALOT easier on your pc then the demo ....even detected high settings for my 6800 agp 128 mb card. still has prone bug but runs alot smoother with little or no mouse lag depending on your vid settings.

btw buddy let me install his PURCHASed copy on my pc for testing ....till he made me uninstall an hour later =\

I think those with lower end vid cards will be happy with the difference. I just have to wonder why they made the demo so crappy on vid settings when full version is so smooth.... still jaggies though.

Demos are always this way, early builds of the game with limit support. Their to busy or close to crunch time usually, and just don't have the man hours to put in.

Exactly. From all of the things that I determined from the demo the demo code was "forked" from the main game somewhere in the "beta 4" timeframe, which was before the network optimizations were put into place. That's why there's so much of a draw on a network connection for coop games in the demo.

As for retailers getting the game on the shelves, I'll leave that for another post.

My .02:

PROS:

-One shot, One kill

-Nice gun sounds/gun ambiance.  GRIN said they wanted it to sound like the gun battle in heat.  They got close enough.

-Vastness of maps

-(personal taste: more urban maps and not so much freaking forest area)

CONS(Sigh):

-(MP)I hate the buying system in CS which is an 8 year old game so why the hell would it be a 'cool feature' in a brand new game that supposed to be one of the top titles of it's genré?  It's annoying.  Just give us a nice selection of guns and let us always use the config we like that we get used to and become good at using.  How can we play a metaphor for elite military men when we send in the team with a ghetto setup and make them buy more parts as they play?  At least give us the option to have a hotkey to gear up our weapons the way we like it instead of taking an hour to "Shop" for our parts everytime.  Am I hear to fight or shop?

-Guns.  Related to above.  Where are the old skool guns?  SA80 series/L85A1, MP5, M4, M16, etc.

-Domination is being touted like a 'cool new feature' when it is clearly just a rip-off of the Battlefield gameplay.  Everybody knows this, it's not new, so why is it the first and most advertised MP gameplay (It's even on the game box).  If GRAW is going to rip off old-school play systems from games, how about ripping off Ghost Recon?  Goes without saying, built in it should have Siege, LMS, Hamburger Hill, Assasinate/General off the bat.  Hopefully the patches will solve this.

-I bought the Xbox 360 version of GRAW even though fighting with two little stick drives me crazy just so I could feel GRAW's sweet juices before the PC version dropped.  The one thing I HATED was the fact that you had to hold a button, go through a sub-menu to select a grenade or pistol.  Thank god the PC version will have a key for grenades and a key for pistol or quick mouse scroll wheel like GR.  ######!!??  A weapons submenu in the PC version??!!  Please tell me where this is possibly a good idea.  If there is a way and I am missing how, plz correct me.

-(SP) I'm not a SP dude.  To me SP is only for training ground to go fight real players in MP.  So often I won't play the game, but usually the "Instant Action" option in a game or set up a LAN server for just me and I can go through a map shooting AI for target practice.  It seems impossible to set up something like this in GRAW. I Don't care to draw waypoints and use that completely retared UAV (Cheat drone).  If I wanted to jack with this, I'd be into RPG games.  So for the many ppl like me, just allow us to go through MP or SP maps just lone-wolf blasting away for practice is ideal.  The Xbox360 version has this covered and then some.  Like the defend mode where all the AI's on the map come raiding your base and you got to protect the Alamo so-to-speak.  Where is all this in PC?  I know this has been beaten into the ground, but we should be able to switch ppl in SP.  In GR I know a lot of ppl played it the way I do:  The other guys are really just your gun caddy's.  When you need a sniper rifle, jump in sniper guy, need to mow down some fulls, jump into support guy's body.

-Graphics.  As talked about in other threads, the look and Hardware requirements hardly match up.  HL2 in my older, slower rig looked like a freaking movie (1900x1200/AMD55/NV6800U/1GB/most settings on highish except for some doozies).  Now on my faster rig, I'm dropping settings way down to get a decent framerate in GRAW (1600x900/AMD57/NV7900GTX/2GB/settings to mediumish).  So at the end of the day I'm supposed to have a "top of the line" new game and it looks like a polished version of GR1.  If I didn't know when it came out, I would have pegged it to the pre-DOOM3/HL2/Far Cry days.  Is the code jacked?  Does it just need time in patches to optimize?  Hopefully so.

-Maps/Gameplay(MP).  Nothing touches "Embasiege" yet.  Don't get me wrong, I like vast maps on occasion.  But in GR1 we still liked to kick it down to some Creekbed or lil dox map when we only have a few players.  And how we groaned when the server brought up the huge maps so we can spend 98% of our game time running around and not fighting.  So far the MP maps are all the same map basically with some minor variations.  If maybe 2 were like that then the others changes styles and sizes that would really help the variety.  Sometimes I feel there are TOO many paths across the map whether going high or low or through one of the many allies.  Like the GR1 maps, there were only a handful of known routes so there was some strategy.  Instead of a numbers game that you happen to run into approaching enemies.

Conclusion:

GRAW is a hell of a start, and has done most of the journey to a great game, but to me is lacking small but hugely defining features that make the game incredibly limited to me.  I look fwd to some great patches.

i hear ya man. hl2 was the game for graphics and no lag at all. far cry was very nice aswell. if you want differ check out armed assault coming in first week of june.

Hmm, I actually think this is the best tactical shooter I've ever played.

I mean, [GR] was great, but in terms of tactical gameplay it was _nothing_ compared to this beast of a tactical shooter. There is absolutely no chance in hell you can run'n'gun this game on hard, and as far as I can tell there'll be a lot less run'n'gun in MP as well, once they get it fixed. Oh well, on to the ups and downs.

POSITIVITY:

1: It forces tactical gameplay upon you, as I wrote above there is not really much room for mistakes of any kind on hard, you can be the best damn twitcher in the world, and you'll still get p0wned if you try and run'n'gun it.

2: Au contraire to many people (at least so it would seem), I think the GFX are nice, agreed they're not the most breathtaking, stunning, awe inspiring ever, but it sure as hell gives a nice depiction of mexico city (and some suburbial poor areas), allbeit with not people at all. And it's running exellent on my 6800 GT AGP.

3: The AI kicks ass, I think most people complaining about the friendly AI is simply not getting it right. When you just set a waypoint for them with the green line going through walls, buildings and crap they will offcourse figure out on their own how to get there, just like a human being would if you told them "Go there" and pointed on a map. If you, on the other hand, draw out a route for them that tells them every step of the way, they'll do exactly as they're told. Besides that, they do a damn good job of providing 360 cover when they're given the space to do so.

The enemy AI is, as far as I have seen, also great, it flanks, it takes cover, changes cover and calls for friends... no problems there. Admitted the aim of a run of the mill mexican soldier is very impressive, planting a GL shot in my forehead from sniping distance but then again, it happens very rarely so it might just be luck, just like when they player is sitting there with his SCAR + combat aim sniping away at 4-10 pixels moving around inside a red diamond.

NEGATIVITY:

well, we need SDK, Dedicated Servers and more MP modes... but for me, that is about it. The MP modes we have are great, great CO-OP and domination, in my oppinion, kicks BF gameplays ass, and is great great fun.

So far this, and oblivion, and Condemned are the games of the year for me.

Great ph00king work GRIN, and keep it up, give this game the support it deserves and it'll live more than long enough for you guys to take all the time you need for the (amazing I ecspect) sequel. :g_withgrin:

-Zor

I have one initial questioning problem...

The box of the game does not even explain the plot...If you skim through it; you will notice it only explains all the 'advanced' weaponry and technical defining moments...Kind of odd.

I'll re-write my opinion of the game in full by saturday....haha