Will GR:AW stop you playing GR1?

I remember reading many posts similar to these before when GR1 came out... the people talking were mostly players of previous RS games. Some posts were about how they were frustrated that their hardware couldn't run it(voodoo 3 fuzzy fonts come to mind). Some posted that they didn't like the gameplay compared to the RS games.

Some players never played GR1 as much as they played their original games and moved on to other games later.

Some players did end up playing GR1 and enjoying it for the years it lasted.

Many of the players that came to GR1 were new players that found the game unique and had not played any previous RS games.

I'm willing to bet that the same could probably be said for GR:AW as it matures. Some of you may and possibly already have moved on. Others will stay, and yet others will come fresh to it. As with anything changed and new, some will like the changes and some will not.

The goal a game publisher has in remaking an old game or adding a sequel is not to keep the entire same audience because that's impossible. It's to keep as many old players as possible while gaining enough new audience to hopefully equal if not increase the total overall audience.

With the exception of playtesting my mods I haven't really played GR in over 2 years. I uninstalled it about 6 months ago.

I'm looking forward to taking a look under the hood of this puppy.

this may pi$$ off some, but most of the posts in this thread seem to be of hardcore-gr1 players who are afraid to lose face in saying that graw is actually fun and promising. i found myself much enjoying the demo and probably will buy the full version. maybe some open-mindedness would help appreciate the different approach grin has done. if you wanted gr1 with today's graphics go for a hl2 mod.

also, i find it quite amusing that people are actually offended that the game wont run on video cards that were mid-range 2 years ago. it's a fast-paced industry, and i for one am glad graw is such a resource hungry beauty.

Edited by LosOutlandos

jedi outcast made me stop playing gr1, America's army made me stop playing jedi outcast, RVS made me stop playing AA, then there was a void- a series of games came out and not quite wer what i was looking for. i tried opflash, hl2, even went and gave cs another shot, farcry, swat, fear....nothing was good enough until now. good things are on the horizon for this title. i'm just wondering what ladder rules will be initiated for a no respawn tdm with such big maps.

I am hoping a few patches along the line, and a half decent SLI profile I can enjoy GRAW.

Running it in anything less than 1280 by 1024 with the details medium or higher and to me it just looks plain ugly.

Athlon 3500 , two 7800GTs in SLI and 2GB Ram and feel the game has beaten my rig hands down. LoL

With the exception of playtesting my mods I haven't really played GR in over 2 years. I uninstalled it about 6 months ago.

I'm looking forward to taking a look under the hood of this puppy.

Hey OSO, good to see you around!

Outstanding work on Year of the Monkey by the way. :thumbsup:

First of all, thank you to everyone for your forthright replies...

My own opinion is this...

I have been completely underwhelmed by the GRAW demo, even though I have a moderately well spec'd PC (I play BF2 so it has to be), GRAW moans and groans under the strain.

-- Something that a couple of you picked up on is that I don't get the same feeling of 'threat' - the enemy in GRAW seem like a bunch of shop window dummies.

I was hoping to drop GR1 and BF2 in favour of GRAW, but this simply will not happen.

I - like many others I suspect - am in the position where to get the 'best' out of GRAW I will have to spend upward of $250 to upgrade my graphics card.

I don't have that kind of cash at the moment...

I'm much happier being able to play GR1 with all the graphics turned up to MAX (and playing Year of the Monkey).

I'm gutted.

I - like many others I suspect - am in the position where to get the 'best' out of GRAW I will have to spend upward of $250 to upgrade my graphics card.

I don't have that kind of cash at the moment...

I'm much happier being able to play GR1 with all the graphics turned up to MAX (and playing Year of the Monkey).

I'm gutted.

Yep same here

Much as I enjoyed GR1 over the last 5 years or so, GRAW immerses me much more - at least on the SP side of things. Haven't played MP yet, but at this point in time I'm completely addicted to GRAW. I love using the tactical map to plan out attacks. Just awesome.

The fact is that...GRAW is very new; and completely different (although the name and trying to fill the void by saying the feel...is there..Its not.) than the original GR. I Will definitely be playing GRAW; Why? Because I know for a fact...The patches...The mod's that will come out, etc. will most definitely make this game better.

In all honesty; Nothing can ever replace the feeling of Ghost Recon Original.

All I can hope for is that GRAW gets upgraded/tweaked like crazy...Because retail games w.o any tweaks usually get very boring...Very fast.