The Prone thing

After I read this topic I tried aiming with my rifle in the prone positions shown in this picture.

Second_Picture.gif

I found that when you had your elbows resting on the ground aiming down became a little akward but easily done. When you didnt use your elbows there was no point in trying to aim down as you were already very close to the ground anyway but it was also easily done. This is an issue that should be fixed, at least in my opinion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how I feel about the prone thing. It makes sense in a way, but it's hard to tell. Seems like if you can see over an edge you'd be able to shoot, but at the same time your gun is an object so it would hit the ground. it's really not that bad. it makes sense if you really think about it. If you're laying on a vertical plane, you're not going to be able to shoot over an edge or aim over the top of the edge. You'd have to get in crouch to aim over an edge. So really it feels weird, but makes sense.

I agree that its more of a Fun vs. Realism deal. Im sure that enough testing went into the game that they are very aware of this occurance. Im against it as well (to an extent) and wouldnt really care that much if it was only happening with the larger weapons like the SAW but if its happening even with the smaller weapons like the pistols then thats just going too far. But im all for not being able to aim straight down while in the prone position. Im sure it will be patched ASAP.

Anyone else noticed you can't aim below an invisible threshold when prone? You can push the mouse forward as much as you like, but the ret will not go below a certain point, making shots under cars etc impossible.

Yup, I noticed that too. I had to get up to crouch position to aim lower. :huh:

Seems like many people calling for this to be patched haven't even tried the demo yet?? :wall:

Anyhoo, I agree it should be fixed.

A recomendation for a fix: In reality if you need to aim lower from prone, you move the butt plate up on your shoulder. If GRIN could modify the gun so it is sort of "springily" attached to your shoulder, so it will be as close as possible to the normal position. Then the gun can pivot around your front hand. There should still be a limitation that your gun cant litterally go into the ground, but you shouldnt need to do that unless you are shooting the ground just a few inches in front of you.

This way they maintain the body awareness (which would look TERRIBLE if they went back to crappy normal physics), make it look realistic, and better and more realistic gameplay.

Edit: for ultimate realism this should affect the point of impact relative to the crosshair, but that might be a little bit of a stretch for a game...

Edited by insane snyper

Yes Rocky - I noticed the same 'bug' right away.

I saw an enemy shooting at me in prone position so I went to prone position myself, but was unable to get the aimpoint low enough to shoot at him. Very frustrating  :)

Otherwise - this is one hell of a game.

;) Mike

same here. but regarding the fun vs realism-point of view i'm for fun. so i think think this needs to be fixed.

Lets face it....turning into an AA gun everytime you go prone is all but realistic.

Even if you go prone you can level your gun and shoot horizontally to the ground, even low enough to cap someone in the ancles as you shoot underneath a vehicle.

For it to be a collision issue with the rifles magazine you would have to just about lay flat on your face and even then it shouldn't affect the Crye carbine as it doesn't have a mag extending down from the reciever.

And if you are laying low enough for the mag to impact the ground all you have to do to aim horizontally is lift your abdoment a fraction and voila.

I'd call this a bug that needs fixing...or Grin/UBI could just aswell remove the prone position alltogether!

Hmmm...anyone tried going prone and then spinning through the full 360degree arch?

I just did and depending on where I am in the arch my lowest aim is higher or lower off the horizontal, in some case it's somewhere near 20degrees up and in other cases I can even aim lower than horizontal :wacko:

Tried this in an open place so obstacles like curbs shouldn't of played into it

• 1 month later...

Anyone else noticed you can't aim below an invisible threshold when prone? You can push the mouse forward as much as you like, but the ret will not go below a certain point, making shots under cars etc impossible.

The only way I found around this bug is to lay down on a roadway with either all my right side or all my left side on a curb while the other half of my body (ie- left shoulder down to left foot) remains on the road. It allows me to fire under objects most times with a little body adjustment.

The only way I found around this bug is to lay down on a roadway with either all my right side or all my left side on a curb while the other half of my body (ie- left shoulder down to left foot) remains on the road. It allows me to fire under objects most times with a little body adjustment.

Doesn't help when lying prone at the top landing of a stairway though :( You still can;t aim down to ground level.

Doesn't help when lying prone at the top landing of a stairway though :( You still can;t aim down to ground level.

rocky, i'm with you until this last post - hope I understood you right - if you are prone at the top of the stairs, assuming you maintain proper stock weld (shoulder and cheek) you have to sit up to aim down the stairs. you cannot remain prone unless you place the bipod on the second step down. Did I not understand you right?